Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite Suppressant, anyone?

Hi everyone. I am 5 months post op and am not one of the lucky ones who lost my hunger. Sadly I've been hungry since I woke up from surgery. For the most part I can usually stay between 800-1000 calories a day. I'm considering taking an appetite suppressant to help with the hunger to get me down to my goal weight. I am still losing weight right now, but I know I could lose SO much more if I wasn't constantly hungry all the time. So, thoughts? Anyone else do this? I have emailed my dietician but have not heard back yet.

Before you look into appetite suppressants you might want to try upping your Protein. Protein helps with hunger . I don't know what your eating habits were after surgery and now but also try eating more often. I eat every 3 hours and on avg. about 5 times a day. My body no knows tat it will get food every 3 hours and I don't start to feel hungry unless I go over the 3-4 hour mark. Some people eat even 6 times a day. I am not a doctor so I would ask your doctor about this before doing anything. But I feel if you get more protein in and have a fixed eating schedule you will see a difference.

That's not the problem :( I am getting 80-90 grams Protein. And I do eat often throughout the day since I am always hungry two hours after I initially eat.

But thank you for the suggestions :)

Are u taking a PPI? Like Prilosec or nexium. Acid un the stomach mimics hunger and can help. I also agree with upping the Protein and staying away from carbs. No sugar and work on head hunger. Congrats u are doing awesome.

I stopped taking a PPI not long ago because I felt I didn't need it. I tried a couple different ones. I feel the same off of it as I do on it unfortunately. I really don't think it was doing anything for me. But thank you!

I would start again on the PPI's as they do help with some hunger. As for an appetite suppresent, I would not do it, but I can tell you that my surgeon told me that if I needed to get the last 10 lbs off he would prescribe me some. I am hopeful that I won't need them. You are lower on the scale now so Im thinking its just coming off slower. Be patient. 800-1000 calories is probably just right or a little low for you. Check with your NUT, mine said now I need 1000-1200.

I've been feeling like that lately, hungry all the time and have only lost 60lbs. since September 2012, not sure what I'm doing but it can get depressing sometimes

Are you drinking with your meals? Are you getting many liquid calories?

Yes i think im drinking too many liquid calories, which gonna stop, i cant get myself to the gym either, have no motivation and/or desire to workout again not sure what to do !!!!

Liquid calories will go right through you and not fill you up. Drinking liquids with your meals will make your stomach empty faster and you will be hungry faster. That's why you are supposed to wait 30+ minutes before and after meals to drink. Some people have been told 45 minutes or an hour, even.

Hi everyone. I am 5 months post op and am not one of the lucky ones who lost my hunger. Sadly I've been hungry since I woke up from surgery. For the most part I can usually stay between 800-1000 calories a day. I'm considering taking an appetite suppressant to help with the hunger to get me down to my goal weight. I am still losing weight right now' date=' but I know I could lose SO much more if I wasn't constantly hungry all the time. So, thoughts? Anyone else do this? I have emailed my dietician but have not heard back yet.[/quote']

Are u working out to burn the extra calories you're eating?

I found that hoodia worked well with me. It didn't provide that jittery jump out of your skin feeling. I'm sorry you're constantly hungry. That must be very frustrating for you.

@mistysj - i will keep that in mind, I have my yogurt with my coffee, I guess that needs to stop too. My meals are pretty much solid no drinking in between but i have noticed it's not 30 after or before so that may be the problem. Thanks for the information @ lexi6510 I am not working out and feel no desire to, I wish i had the energy that everyone talks about, i do take my Vitamins so not sure again what the problem is. I will see my doctor on 6/27/13, lets see if he thinks I should take something else for energy.

Hi everyone. I am 5 months post op and am not one of the lucky ones who lost my hunger. Sadly I've been hungry since I woke up from surgery. For the most part I can usually stay between 800-1000 calories a day. I'm considering taking an appetite suppressant to help with the hunger to get me down to my goal weight. I am still losing weight right now' date=' but I know I could lose SO much more if I wasn't constantly hungry all the time. So, thoughts? Anyone else do this? I have emailed my dietician but have not heard back yet.[/quote']

What type of Protein are you eating? Is it primarily liquid like the shakes or slides down easily like yogurt or Peanut Butter? I find if I eat a hard piece of Protein like a fried egg, chicken, a piece of meat etc. I stay satisfied a lot longer. Hope this is helpful. You are really doing great. The hunger thing is hard and I too sometimes struggle with that.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274