Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lightweights in the house! Any more people with less to lose/less BMI's?

5'2" 196lbs here. BMI 36. My last visit with the dr is on 6/4/13. Then surgery date & insurance approval (hopefully). I'd like to to get down to approx 125. I'm so glad to find this thread. Fat is Fat, and I want a lot less of It!!!

Amen!! LOL. Hope you get that insurance approval asap! :D

@Ella

Oh wow! That's GREAT NEWS! YAYY! That's possibly the biggest hurdle' date=' getting the insurance to approve it! Way to go girl! Your well on your way to the new you! So exciting!!! :D Good luck!![/quote']

Yes! They had me SO nervous! I cried when they told me I was approved! It's really going to happen and nothing is in my way anymore. Thanks so much for the good luck. I can't wait for my new me!

I started in January at 6'1-333lbs with a bmi of 42 as of today I'm 288lbs with a bmi of 38. Surgery is June 11th. My problem has never been losing the weight its keeping it off.

I'm 5'3 1/2 and 8 months out. Began my journey at 225 and am now 156 and trying to get to 145. So almost at 70 lbs. it has really slowed down but I expected that the closer you are to goal and the smaller percentage you have to lose. This has been the best thing I have ever done! I have lost 5 sizes gone from an 18/20 to 8's and 10's. I'm so much more active. I don't consider that I was a lightweight' date=' I agree with Laura, fat is fat. My BMI was almost 40!! I will get there by just keeping on keeping on!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

We are literally the same starting weight. I don't consider my self a light weight by any means either but many look at me and the way I carry the weight and say: surgery is so drastic just exercise it off. I have tried for 10 years to no avail!

I started in January at 6'1-333lbs with a bmi of 42 as of today I'm 288lbs with a bmi of 38. Surgery is June 11th. My problem has never been losing the weight its keeping it off.

Wow! 42 to 38! That's 45lbs down in 5 months on your own, and KEEPING IT OFF! That's great! If you've got it in you to be doing so well on your own, you'll do WONDERS with the sleeve! How hard you've been working! I can't lose more than 15lbs before my body plateaus and I just quit.

We are literally the same starting weight. I don't consider my self a light weight by any means either but many look at me and the way I carry the weight and say: surgery is so drastic just exercise it off. I have tried for 10 years to no avail!

Exactly! Same here. I carry all of my weight up top, so thats my entire abdomen mainly, chest (UGH), arms, sides of hips, lower back, and rolls in between and all over my face. My thighs and legs are a bit healthy and nicely sized but they really aren't anything compared to my top. My husband still thinks I could easily "work it off". Riiiigghht. The thing is, he doesn't realize how long I've been battling my weight. That's 11 years of back and forth and back and forth....that never-ending cycle we've all got to battle with.

Ok, I'll share this, but I know people may have strong opinions. I had a BMI of 30.9 pre op, but day of surgery was 29.0. I'm 5'2 (ish) and have lost 21 lbs since May 1st. So my BMI is around 27??? 28??? I was on the low end for qualifying for surgery BUT I've had a BMI of 36, (and as low as 23). I have gained and lost 300 lbs in less than 5 years, and over 500lbs in the past 8. I was TIRED of losing and gaining the same 60 lbs, so that's why I did this surgery.

Add on: I'm not really sure how long it will take me to get to goal weight, (I've got about 47lbs to go) but like most others, my bigger goal is to lose it, and keep it off FOREVER!!!

Just realized I'm the only one who hasn't properly posted their stats (and I started the thread HA) so here goes.

Right, so "lightweight" at:

Starting BMI: 35 at 185lbs for 5'1"

Now: 32.1 at 170lbs (the weight's creeping up fast again, ugh nothing works long enough)

Lost 15lbs doing paleo/primal (low carb/low cal/high protein/mod fat/no sugar/no grains) for 3 months. Still on the same lifestyle but the weight's creeping up faster than I lost it, by far. So, 72lbs to lose to get to normal weight. I'd be happy with even half of that right now. Praying I don't gain back to 185 again (my body likes this weight a little too much!)

Surgery has been approved at the MI Doctor Hospital/Clinic in TJ, Mexico by Dr. Israel Cabrera/Valenzuela for either June/July/August. Have to get the finances together, and the hubster needs to get off work for 5 days which is becoming the biggest challenge as at least 4 of his employees want to vacation for 2 undecided weeks each one of these months this summer. Seriously? My luck! lol.

Ok, I'll share this, but I know people may have strong opinions. I had a BMI of 30.9 pre op, but day of surgery was 29.0. I'm 5'2 (ish) and have lost 21 lbs since May 1st. So my BMI is around 27??? 28??? I was on the low end for qualifying for surgery BUT I've had a BMI of 36, (and as low as 23). I have gained and lost 300 lbs in less than 5 years, and over 500lbs in the past 8. I was TIRED of losing and gaining the same 60 lbs, so that's why I did this surgery.

Please don't be afraid to share your story! It's just as valuable as any other! To quote Ms.AntiBand loosely "fat is fat is fat!!!". And you've worked really hard to get where you're at right now, no doubt! Thats GREAT!!!! :D

Ok' date=' I'll share this, but I know people may have strong opinions. I had a BMI of 30.9 pre op, but day of surgery was 29.0. I'm 5'2 (ish) and have lost 21 lbs since May 1st. So my BMI is around 27??? 28??? I was on the low end for qualifying for surgery BUT I've had a BMI of 36, (and as low as 23). I have gained and lost 300 lbs in less than 5 years, and over 500lbs in the past 8. I was TIRED of losing and gaining the same 60 lbs, so that's why I did this surgery.

Add on: I'm not really sure how long it will take me to get to goal weight, (I've got about 47lbs to go) but like most others, my bigger goal is to lose it, and keep it off FOREVER!!![/quote']

No strong opinion here :) most of my life I never had issues with gaining weight. I've stayed 130-140 no problem... The past 10 years have been a major struggle for me before and even worse after pregnancy. I was on oral then put on syringe taken insulin TWO TYPES during my pregnancy so getting diabetes (I am pre diabetic now) seems INEVITABLE if I don't get my act together. I walk, I have an elliptical and a 2 year old yet this weight won't budge! Did I mention my hypothyroid? Weight may not be the only issue leading to this decision. At least in my case it was a myriad of issues.

I know what you mean about wanting to know how the "lightweighters" are doing. My BMI is in the mid 30's and I have concerns about how the surgeries are going for those that didn't have over 100 lbs to loose. My co-workers that have had it done have all lost down to tiny sizes; 5,6,8...but the one person that I know that had it done that had a lower BMI has only lost 35 lbs and can eat 3 to 4 times what the others can eat. I am afraid that the surgeons aren't near as aggressive with the surgery when you don't have as much to lose. She is completely unhappy whereas the others that started off much heavier than her have already met their goals at eight months out. (There are about 6 of us that work together- they are all done with their surgeries, I am the last to have it done and the smallest of the group). I am very nervous that the surgeon is going to leave me too much stomach and my surgery will fail. :wacko:

Wow! 42 to 38! That's 45lbs down in 5 months on your own' date=' and KEEPING IT OFF! That's great! If you've got it in you to be doing so well on your own, you'll do WONDERS with the sleeve! How hard you've been working! I can't lose more than 15lbs before my body plateaus and I just quits .[/quote']

I has been somewhat of a struggle at times. I still go have pizza with friends every other week but ill have a salad and a few slices of pizza toppings. I go out for wings but will get naked wings with no breading. And with sushi I eat sushimi. I gave up Diet Coke in January and haven't had a beer since February. If I go out now ill either drink Water or a Bloody Mary without vodka. I get in two days a week at the gym doing heavy lifting. The thing helping me the most is my muscle mass. My standing metabolic rate is 2100 cals and I'm only eating 1600-1800 cal a day but surgery is the only reason I'm so motivated to do that. I know if my surgery was canceled I'd go get a case of beer and a large pizza and be back on my way up.

I'm a low BMI'er as well. I haven't had the surgery yet.

Currently I am a 31 BMI, 5'8" and 205 lbs. Over the past 12 years I have been as high as 260 and 40 BMI and as low as 160 and 24 BMI. The older I get the harder it is to loose. I feel like I've been living my life constantly fixating and obsessed with food and weight. Always paying attention to the scale, feeling embarrassed by my tummy fat, dreading summer time when I have to ditch my sweaters, loosing weight Yay!, gaining it back Sob!, buying new pants, pulling out my fat jeans again.....

I am so ready to just jump off of this crazy cycle. I am scared about the lifestyle changes that will happen, but I know that those changes are necessary and am looking forward to making them. Over the past couple of months I have really been coming to grips with my internal fears and as of today I can not wait for surgery to happen.

Right now my last fear to overcome/deal with is HOW to tell my very close family members. Really, I will just be telling my sister and best friend. I know they are going to go through the whole "But your not THAT fat...Why don't you just try and exercise more....Are you suuuure you're doing this for the right reasons??"

I have signed up June 27. BMi about 35. Ready to get it done. Tired of this is understatement. It is an affliction. Going with Alvarez in Mexico. Can't believe I'm doing this. I am medical professional and my insurance does cover. But not any of the pre or post op stuff which comes to about 3 or 4k so they're going to try to get it from you anyway. That is prob about their cost. forget it I'm not going thru 6 months of appointments and psychoanalysis , trying work raise kids just to have part of it covered and wonder if I'll be approved. So that's where I am !

I was a lightweight.

I lost consistently for about 6 months post op. Now I am slowly losing the rest. Ideally I would like to be at 120. I have a plastic surgery consult next week - I am hoping to get a Tummy Tuck, breast lift (maybe implants), and minimal Lipo. I wanted to wait until I was 18 months out but I have a new job that starts in Sept so I decided that this was the best time since I am able to take 8 weeks off between jobs.

I am so happy I got the sleeve - best decision ever!!

I was a lightweight.

I lost consistently for about 6 months post op. Now I am slowly losing the rest. Ideally I would like to be at 120. I have a plastic surgery consult next week - I am hoping to get a tummy tuck' date=' breast lift (maybe implants), and minimal Lipo. I wanted to wait until I was 18 months out but I have a new job that starts in Sept so I decided that this was the best time since I am able to take 8 weeks off between jobs.

I am so happy I got the sleeve - best decision ever!![/quote']

Does insurance cover plastic surgery after wls? I know all are different but I was wondering if I should even think about it. I'm sure my boobs will be at my knees