Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow is my week out, and thank god I pushed my doctor appointment to tomorrow and not Thursday. I feel soooo weak. Other then that I feel great, my main incision is feeling better every day, even getting itchy which means its healing. I can take down liquids, such as Water and watered down apple juice is my favorite or crystal light. On the other hand I only have 1 bottle of Isopure left which I'm drinking at the moment and packets I received in the hospital. I really don't understand why if you're new tummy can't take a lot of anything, would they give us something with only 15% Protein? They're telling me to drink 4 of those a day!?!?! I can barley get down a cup.....I'm freaking out. I really just want pureed foods so I can eat protein from a food source. I feel like my body can take it! Is it wrong if I just make myself something without my doctors approval? I know he's the surgeon but I know my body better then anyone. The worse thing that would happen is I throw it up, which I can deal with. Idk if anyone knows any Proteins with high protein content but still taste good let me know!!!!

The doctors have more experience with our altered stomachs than we do. Do you really want to risk popping a staple and having a leak? IMO, you should follow the guidelines your doctor gave you.

I urge you to follow your doctor's timeline, they really do know what is best. Maybe you should talk to your surgeon and be honest about how you feel. They just might give you the green light, but I wouldnt go making your own rules at this point. Sorry :-( I hope you feel better real soon!

I'm 5 days out and my dietitician just called to check and see how I'm doing. I'm not getting all the Protein in yet but she said that is pretty normal with alot of pts. It's increasing each day but has been 15-23 g/day. May hit 43 today if I'm lucky since liquids are going down much easier today.

The worst thing that could happen is NOT you throwing up! You could end up with a leak and land yourself back in the hospital. Not to mention the things that could go wrong if you do get a leak!! You could seriously hurt yourself by advancing too quickly. You may feel like you know your body better than anyone else, but that was BEFORE your surgeon took out most of your stomach. Your brain hasn't caught up that it isn't all there. You could be having some head hunger. You should really check with your surgeon before adding anything to your diet that he has not approved.

My surgeon told me a story about a patient that drank too much Protien shake too quickly after surgery and ended up with a leak and other scary issues, so all patients are on a 2 week clear liquid post op diet. She said Listen to your body, go slow, respect your tiny new tummy. She also told me about someone that ate pizza 4 days out and almost died.... crazy crazy....Ima stick to the liquids for a few more weeks. although I'll admit that im not hungry, I am SUPER bored and thinking about getting to the 'real food' phases.

Amanda, part of your weakness might NOT be due to food. ;) As WLS patients, we tend to attribute everything to our lack of eating and sometimes it's just not true. I don't know how much weight you need to lose but trust me....we ALL have calories in storage and going a while without a significant amount of Protein WILL be ok. Be sure stay hydrated...if you can drink Water with Protein in it, great, but if not, be sure to still drink your Water. But right now, your body is also "clearing" toxins and anesthesia from surgery, dealing with healing (internally and externally), etc. You should almost EXPECT to have periods of weakness...almost like getting over the flu, you know?

I would NOT test what your stomach can handle at this point. I'm a week post-op tomorrow and I KNOW how you feel. I feel like I can eat anything and yes, I want something with more substance. But at this point, it's about letting the internal stitches heal and honestly, we can't FEEL those. We don't have the nerves in the stomach like we do our skin. But seriously...look at those stitches on your abdomen that are JUST NOW starting to close up...your stomach isn't any further along in the healing process!!!

Weakness is OK...creating a leak is NOT.

Yea u guys are right, I wasn't thinking anything crazy, just some Soup or something. I have my doctor appointment tomorrow so I will see what he says. It's also scaring me because I don't want to Not get my Protein in now and loose my hair later because I heard the first 2 weeks lack of protein is the cause of the Hair loss. Everyone tells me concentrate on the liquids which I have been doing but then one of the main nurses called me and it was as if she almost yelled at me for not getting enough protein in...it just got me so angry. I can drink pretty much normal, just how I did before yet the protein just makes my mouth so dry. I will hold off one more day until I see my doc, I'm just hoping for some good news and a a good to go for puréed

I think some surgeons recommend a longer period on liquids to reduce liability risk in case of leaks and other complications.

I was on puréed before the first week was out. In fact, I wasn't able to be discharged until I could eat two tablespoons of yoghurt.

That said, follow your own surgeon. You picked her or him for a reason so listens to them and do what they say. You do not actually know your body better than they do when it comes to the sleeve. It is essentially a new stomach, one you have almost no knowledge of at this point. They know more. In six months or so, then you will know what your sleeve can and can't do. But right now, you really are kidding yourself if you think you know better than the surgeon.

I'm getting yelled at enough I don't need harsh replies, I get it. I know I would be able to have Soup that's all I'm saying and I'm sure tomorrow my doctor will say the same thing.

No one is yelling at you, they are simply answering your question. If you already knew the right answer for you, why ask?

Personally, I can do anything for six weeks if it increases my chance for perfect recovery. Weak, strong, I am in this for the long haul and I'm playing by the rules.

I'd gently suggest that you not ask for answers you may not want to hear. Good luck to you!

It's also scaring me because I don't want to Not get my Protein in now and loose my hair later because I heard the first 2 weeks lack of Protein is the cause of the Hair loss.< /p>

I'm not yelling I just don't want you to do something and then end up with major problems and think to myself that I should have said something. I was worried about the same things that you are as far as my hair falling out. People know me by my hair. I've always had really pretty hair, it has always been one of my favorite and best attributes. I've been extrememly worried about losing it. I wasn't allowed any major protein, not even Protein shakes, until 2 weeks out. If I got a little in some greek yogurt or the Soup I could eat it was okay but otherwise none (and that was only after a full week of clears). Like I said before I am only 8 weeks out but as of yet I haven't noticed any thinning of my hair or any extra hair in my brushes/shower drain. Since I got to start on soft foods at two weeks out I haven't had one day that I didn't get at least 60 grams of protein and most days I get 80-100+ grams in. If your doc wants you to be getting protein in, get it. If he doesn't yet, then don't. You won't go wrong following his guidelines. Trust me, I know it is hard. My doc has a MUCH slower advancement than most do out there but I just keep chugging along. I know how much of a pain waiting can be and how long it makes the weeks seem when you are so looking forward to putting something actually tasty in your mouth. You've got this though!

I was having trouble with Protein at the beginning. My favorite is ready to drink banana muscle milk. With my doctors approval I added a packet of chocolate Protein Powder (unjury or another brand). That upped the protein content up to aprox 50 gms per 15 oz. sipped that off and on.

Don't stress about the hair, it will happen or not, worrying about it won't help, it will just add more stress. just worry about your fluids and do your best. Besides instead of being known for your beautiful hair you will be known for your beautiful YOU! ;-)

My doctor said I can start pureed foods after a week. Personally I can't stand sugar free and all the other shakes that are highly processed. It makes no sense to nourish my tummy with more chemicals like apartame. So I drink those organic kids yogurt drinks with a little unflavored whey Protein. I eat greek yogurt. I blend watermelon or cantaloupe and add whey. I take TiNY spoons of hummus. I blend lentil Soup and add yogurt. I drink milk very little but when I do it is skim. I make oatmeal with Water then blend with milk to make it into a drink. I was told by my doc that along with protein I need calories. He also strongly recommends the use of Milk of Magnesia. Hope you feel better. Btw. I got sleeved May 20th.