Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this cheating?

"The professionals" have probably never been on a two week liquid diet, and since the pre-op diets run the gamut between all of the many powers that be, I am not sure that even they know what is truly best. I have a friend who was banded at 450 lbs and she was on a liquid diet for ONE DAY before surgery. Her doc did not believe the fat around the liver concept. Well, my doc sure did, and I complied.

I am merely pointing out that being realistic about this whole process is helpful and if the worst thing a person does is suck on a freaking chicken nugget and spit it out, she will probably be just fine.

I am being realistic in every sense of the word, even when banded you still have to be smart and disciplined...the band won't do it ALL for you....so, why not start now!

Carol

I agree with you Carol that the band is a tool and we need to be smart on how we use it and I plan to use it to the best of my abilities but seriously did you just say ok, thats it, and never have a moment of weakness?

I agree with you Carol that the band is a tool and we need to be smart on how we use it and I plan to use it to the best of my abilities but seriously did you just say ok, thats it, and never have a moment of weakness?

I'm not picking on you Steph, but your comment triggered a thought that's been running around my mind for a while. That being, what does support look like? For me, I know when I'm doing something wrong, and I need someone to pretty much tell me to knock it off and start doing what I know will work. I don't need people saying things like "Oh yeah, I did that too. We all do". In my weird little mind, that's permission to keep doing it.

I know we all have issues, like someone said that's why we have all banded together.(so to speak). So when someone says "it's only two weeks and it will make your surgery safer" chances are they went through it themselves, temptations and all.

What does anyone else think?

How did you all do BEFORE you had our first fill? I'm hungry and I find I can eat but I know after I get the fill, I won't be able to eat. Help!

I know after I get the fill, I won't be able to eat. Help!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that? With a good fill level, you should be able to eat.

I was told 3 small meals and maybe a couple of small planned Snacks. Things like solid, low-fat Protein, fruits and veggies and whole grain things. Today for example I had a Kashi ceral bar and a non-fat latte for Breakfast. lunch was tuna and whole-grain crackers. My snack will be carrots. dinner, I'm not sure about yet. Usually protien, chicken or fish most often, and a veggie. Pretty typical day.

Whats wrong with saying, "hey, that happened to me, too...AND when it DID, here's something that I found that worked for me..." Just spouting out rules and regs is not really support. It's not wrong, but if worked, would we all be here? Support is saying "me, too." and "I've experienced the same thing..." Sometimes it does makes you feel better to know you are not the only one. Because my eating is from an addiction, I may have a different viewpoint from other people. Most people who have an addiction can't glean much from people who have not walked in their shoes because if they haven't, their advice is just theory.

Everyone has their opinion, but my main one is that this board is a great tool for everyone here and I appreciate everyone and their honest opinions.

CJ

I agree Cj - I don't think any of us want it sugar coated but we are here to hear others say yeah me too but this is what I did to get me through... thats why I asked "seriously did you just say ok, thats it, and never have a moment of weakness?" I know I want others to say yeah I had my moment of weakness - more then once - BUT ... this is what I did.

LOL....of course I have moments of weakness, and of course I have failed from time to time.....but I don't believe that giving support is by saying I screwed up by doing this so its okay for you to do it too.....I would rather give positive constructive productive support and tell them how they can minimize their chances of slipping up.

Carol

Carol, you obviously have an enormous amount of self-discipline and will power that most of us here do not. I applaud your ability to overcome the desire to eat with very little effort! Most of us arent that fortunate.

CJ

I agree Cj - I don't think any of us want it sugar coated but we are here to hear others say yeah me too but this is what I did to get me through... thats why I asked "seriously did you just say ok, thats it, and never have a moment of weakness?" I know I want others to say yeah I had my moment of weakness - more then once - BUT ... this is what I did.

I guess I just assumed that we all have those shared moments of weakness, and it didn't need to be stated. Thanks for showing me other viewpoints! I love this forum.

I may have the discipline....but I didn't say it came easy. Its just as hard for me as it is for any of the other bandsters.....it would go against human nature for me to say that I can exercise discipline and win all the time but I don't...however, I work very hard at being successful with my band because my life depends on it, so.....95% of the time I tough it out.

Carol

Okay . . . I have to say something. I know BoSteph personally, and her posting was 95% kidding. She knows that she shouldn't cheat and she came here to post. Mostly what she's looking for is others to day "yes, it's hard, and yes, we had the same thoughts, but you can do it!". Her surgery is tomorrow and she's never had surgery before, so she is very nervous about it. BoSteph is an extremly funny, kind, and thoughtful person, and I am proud to call her my BFF. Just send a prayer upwards please for her tomorrow, as I know she will feel. And I'm proud to say she has done an awesome job on her 7 day clear liquid diet!! She has been an inspiration for me and has set the bar very high. My surgery is January 10th, and I know that she will be just as supportive of my pre-op as I have for her. I love this website and will continue to use it as a resource for knowledge and will gladly share any and all of my experiences during my lapband journey. I will always offer my support to anyone who is in need.

hey there...I for one appreciate this thread... ALL of it...... I go for my first doctore appointment tomorrow, and I am one of those... "If I can't chew it it ain't food" type of people... all liquids is pretty harrowing.. BUT.. I think FEAR is my biggest motivator... FEAR THAT I WILL SCREW UP MY BAND because I can't stay away from food for 2 weeks........ FEAR that I will waste money and precious PTO time and FEAR that I will FAIL again.

I've lost over 80 lbs 4 friggen times..... and it is SO dang depressing that if I jump off the LC bandwagon and have a taste of a trigger food, I will wake up days later with strewn hoho boxes and dried icecream on my chin... and the pounds come back.....

and I fail again

I think Bosteph's sense of humour is understood.....we did finally "get it".....and I for one appreciate it....I was very happy to hear it was her sense of humour shining through.....so, I don't really understand why all of a sudden this thread got so dramatic. I know that my misunderstanding of what she was up to with the nugget started a bit of a sour note....but didn't I mention somewhere here that I was relieved to find out it was joke?

We all give different types of support, but maybe thats because we are all different and sometimes the different methods of support offered is needed.

I would love this topic to now die a very quick death.....to continue it would be hijacking Bosteph's thread and I don't want to do that.

Carol