Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced Bandsters- Need help on when I'm Full

Hey everyone...I have a question I've been thinking about for a few days and I just can't figure out on my own. What is your experience in knowing when you're full?

I eat, and when I get that "full" feeling, I stop. But then a few minutes later I can tell that some has fallen into my stomach and I eat a few more bites. I probably am eating 1/2 - 3/4 cup of food this way.

I'm wondering if I should be stopping right then...cause I'm not.

I PB only once in a blue moon (or a time or two during the week before my period when my band goes into lock down). I think I'm at a good restriction because I'm still loosing as I have been...but I'm wondering if I need a fill to keep the food in my pouch longer...

What is everyone else's experience with this? When do you say "I'm done!"

Megan

Megan, I think this is the crux of the battle between head hunger and real hunger. Physically, when we no longer feel hungry is a good time to stop eating. If we eat to a point where we feel FULL, wait ten minutes until the feeling passes, and then eat a little more, we are clearly eating more than we NEED. In short, the answer to your question is: It depends on how you define "full."

It sure doesn't take much food to turn off hunger pangs. But I do exactly what you describe sometimes when my brain just can't be satisfied with three bites of something at dinner. My body most definitely can be satisfied with that tiny amount, and lots of times I let it be. But once in a while the sensation of less-than-full that comes back after a few minutes is an opportunity to take another bite or two.

The way I look at it, the difference between three bites and five bites is really negligible. So I give myself permission to take those two additional bites. I still can't clear my plate, or clear my daughters' plates on their way to the dishwasher, and if I want dessert I have no choice but to wait another half hour or so. I am consuming a tiny fraction of what I would have been consuming pre-band. So if my brain absolutely needs those next two bites to feel OK about this, I let it have them.

This is doubtless why my loss has been "slow." But I didn't get banded to be deprived and resentful. A tighter fill might allow the food to stay in the pouch longer and prevent those last few bites from getting in, but I personally don't want to take the physical and emotional risk that entails. Not yet, anyway. :D

Megan -

Everyone's "full" feeling is different. Some people get the hiccoughs, some people's nose runs, some people have a little "sigh", some people feel just a little stuck (me - not enough to make the "deer in the headlights" look, but enough that I knew I HAD to stop).

This 1/2 cup to 3/4 cups of food thing drives me crazy. At the same time, I guess that's about what I was eating, bfast/lunch anyway, usually more at dinner. But my mind rebels when I hear that amount as a "goal", or someone thinking it's "too much", because you can't get in a healthy 1200 calories a day on less than six cups of food. NO, that is not solid Protein, packed tight six cups, but six cups used as a regular measurement. So although I myself was NOT eating six cups of healthy food a day, I was making sure I got in all my calories.

Anyway, my point (and yes, I did have one!! :D) IS: I personally don't think it matters HOW MUCH you eat. It matters if you're losing weight, and tolerating what you do eat without vomiting or feeling stuck all the time.

So you're losing weight, and I assume that you are tolerating what you eat with no problems. Are you struggling with the amount that you're eating? Meaning, are you starving, but forcing yourself to stop because you think you should? If you're struggling, and eating enough to end that struggle results in the stopping of your weightloss, or even a regain, then a fill is in order.

But if you're not struggling, are meeting your nutritional goals, tolerating foods well, AND losing weight, I call that the "sweet spot".

FWIW.

;)

Hi Megan,

I always dish up my dinner on a small plate and that is always pretty much enough. I find I get a real actual full type of feeling if I have 2 or 3 items on my plate to eat rather than just one. Sometimes I'll eat my normal portion and I won't feel hungry anyway... other times I can eat about the same size portion and be stuffed. I don't know, doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason. The best part is the HUNGER goes away pretty quickly. I have yet to have a fill so I doubt my restriction is great but it is obviously enough to keep me losing and not chowing down on everything. Do you watch your calories? I think you should get at least 1200 calories a day. Most days I average right around there and then maybe 1 or 2 days a week I'll get as many as 1500 calories or so. If you do track your calories, keep an eye on them and see what you are getting and how your weight loss is affected. Best wishes, Teresa