Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your surgeon or support group do that helped you be successful with your Sleeve?

Many surgeons offer different ways to provide aftercare, after my Lapband not working out so great for me I want to make sure I have great success with my Sleeve. Did you use a meal planning program? Work out program? Were you required to attend appointments? Did you surgeon check up on you?

So please fill me on what unique success tips or aftercare you had!

I do know the Lapband requires more attention (fills) but I assume the Sleeve does need more than just the surgery part!

Thanks

Its an interesting question. I did have to do a 6 month diet, but never really devoted a lot of effort to it. I've got a good support team. I've only seen my surgeon while I was in the hospital, but I see his PA every month. My nutritionist has been great, but it is getting a little weird between us right now, (long story), so...... I do appreciate her guidance and wisdom though. My PCP has been awesome too. I originally did not loop him in, but since I have, he's been great and we have put together a plan to get me off all the meds that I am/was taking. Outside that, I use myfitness pal to track pretty much everything I eat and all my workouts. I don't follow a specific workout plan, I am using what I did, during my previous weight loss forays. I am currently doing the couch to 5k program to get my running and endurance up to speed. The main thing for me outside the surgery was getting my head around my relationship with food. I am a grazer with stress eating overtones. I needed to learn to recognize the triggers that caused me to go off the rails and eat. I am still working on that, but the sleeve helps me control what I eat to a point. It won't be a magical thing that will immediately drop all the weight and that does discourage some people. BUT if you work on a solid eating plan and make the commitment that lifestyle changes are the best way to be successful, you will do fine.

I'm succeeding because I refuse to fail.

I don't have a support group or a local surgeon, but, I have my PCP for after care. I'm pretty much doing this on my own. Because of that I've become very determined and driven.

My family supports me, but it's not the same as a group of other wls peeps. I get a lot of encouragement from y'all here and that helps more than many realize.

I'm succeeding because I refuse to fail.

I don't have a support group or a local surgeon' date=' but, I have my PCP for after care. I'm pretty much doing this on my own. Because of that I've become very determined and driven.

My family supports me, but it's not the same as a group of other wls peeps. I get a lot of encouragement from y'all here and that helps more than many realize.[/quote']

It's more than just refusal to fail though? Right?

I mean I ask you this because you had the lap band before and it's got to be different now? I mean just like the lap band you can "eat around" the sleeve with sliders. So guess what I'm asking what (without complications) makes this different?

I guess I'm asking because you had major complications with the band. But what about the people that get the lap band to sleeve revisions

because the lap band did not work out?

Hehehe... Did that even make sense??

Oh and I can't say anything about success long term just yet. But at this point I count my successes daily. To me it's about not giving in to negative thoughts, disappointments or feelings of being discouraged due to perceived "failures"

Example stalls, slow weight loss or a treat.

This is a process and it takes some time and work. I stay committed to it daily basis and on the days I eat something I shouldn't? I know that tomorrow I can wake up and have a healthier day

With food and continue on.

I'm just shy of 6 months out. My plan is to continue using Fitness Pal to track my food, and to be accountable- meaning all my friends and family know about my sleeve. My doctor has a monthly support group which I have attended regularly since before my sleeve surgery. We also have a private Facebook group which helps us check in with each other. This has been so helpful to me. I see so many people attend a meeting, and then never return. I think a support group is very important for long term success, in addition to eating right, of course.

You ladies are amazing!!! I applaud you all. Thanks for sharing and helping us newbies out.