Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippage prognosis

Hi,

I was banded in 2004, lost about 85 lbs, regained about 30 and having major problems due to slippage, which will be revise late January. I have really found it difficult to get any information about this situation. Since I had to fight my insurance for months to cover the procedure, I've actually had a slippage for close to a year, during which time the weight has been piling on.

I started my weight loss at 260-ish, got down to 173 when I was way too tight and sick all the time and am now around 207.

I'm terrified that after the revision, I will still not be able to lose. I guess I just have no idea what to expect.

Obviously my weight gain has a lot to do with bad choice, lack of exercise, however, is it reasonable for me to think that all things being equal I will have an easier time losing after the revision? Honestly, my lifestyle hasn't changed that much except for the fact that I am hungry a lot more of the time, can eat much larger quantities but can't get a fill because it's supposedly already too tight (due to the slippage, I guess the pouch is bigger?)

Please share your experiences if you had a small slip and had it revised at least several months ago. Has your weight loss become any easier since the surgery?

Thanks,

KM

I havent had a slippage, but I would think that once they got your band back in proper position and at an adequate fill that you would once again have all the benefits of the band and start losing again. I hope you have an easy recovery after your revision! At least this time you know what to expect and will be well prepared!

I have a slipped band and my insurance (blue Cross of California) will not pay to fix my band. They did not pay to install it. How did you get your insurance to pay? How have you managed to go so long with out correcting the slip? I was told today to borrow money to get it fixed!! I am really disappointed, sad, pissed off and broke from my previous self pay surgery. Any help would be appreciated, Jen

Sorry to hear of your fustrations km1108 and lapbandjen. I am thinking of you both...I haven't had a slippage myself yet (touch wood) but i can imagine that it is a huge stress and quite painful. Please keep us posted.

:welldone2: becky

Did you know your band band had slipped and if so how? I thought that if your band slipped you couldn't keep anything down....Is this right or wrong? Why are they taking so long to fix the problem?:eek:

Hi, I was banded initially in May 2005. My band slipped all the way to my small intestines and I required emergency life-saving surgery in February 2006. Surgery was not an option, it was medically necessary to save my life. I am still fighting my insurance company to pay for the surgery and for the most part I am winning. My cardiologist who was formerly an attorney told me to tell the insurance company it was not weight loss surgery, it was surgery to save my life and it was medically necessary. I was a self pay patient for lap-band surgery in May 2005 because my insurance has a written exclusion for any type of weight loss procedure or medication. My first 2 appeals, I lost. Then I got angry and wrote to every legislator in my state and I also sent it to the federal legislators/senators. My biggest complaint was that Medicaid/Medicare approve lap-band surgery but my insurance doesn't provide me with the basic minimum insurance coverage of Medicaid patients? I was furious. The senator requested the state Insurance Commissioner investigate my claims immediately and I am now seeing some action and bills are being paid. They may not be paid completely, but a lot of them have already been paid in full. I am still waiting to see what they pay on the surgeon's bill and the hospital bill. I've received an Explanation of Benefits form showing where they paid the hospital some piddly fee and showing that I owe nothing. I'm waiting on the bill from the hospital to see if it is correct. Did I mention I am considering a class action law suit on the basis of failure to provide minimum coverage that Medicaid patients receive and also discrimination of the obese? At any rate, I am seeing action from my insurance company now. We'll see how it goes. Now to answer your questions about losing weight after the revision... I can honestly tell you that I am losing much faster now than I did initially. Correct positioning of the band has made all the difference. I am so excited about the weight loss and cannot believe the difference in the way I feel now vs. before. It is wonderful. My band is so sensitive now that I can feel the fills immediately and it only takes a very small amount of saline. I can't imagine living with a slipped band. When mine slipped, it was very painful and I was vomiting constantly. The more I vomited the further it slipped until I was completely obstructed and it was either die or have surgery. I'm wishing you the best. Fight your insurance company and go to your federal representatives if you have problems getting your surgery approved. Keep us posted.

Hi,

Can someone that has had a slippage, tell others what there symtoms where? or if they had any?

Thanks

When my band slipped I had several symptoms.

1.) Severe, horrible reflux from anything I ate or drank

2.) Sour stomach from anything I ate or drank

3.) Vomiting that became more and more severe as the band slipped further

4.) Vomiting clear slime

5.) Vomiting black bile

6.) Severe chest pain that extended to the back between the shoulder blades

7.) Frequent and irritating hiccuping

8.) Unable to keep anything down including a drop of Water after being completely UNFILLED.

9.) A severe tight feeling around the stomach - like someone has a belt wrapped around your stomach and keeps pulling it tighter and tighter.

10.) Severe stomach pain

11.) Vomiting regardless of whether or not anything liquid or solid had been consumed.

12.) Vomiting every few minutes without having anything in 24-48 hours

13.) Vomiting even with prescription anti-nausea medications (pills or suppositories)

14.) Dehydration

15.) Weakness (unable to do anything except lie down)

16.) Aspirating during the night (vomiting through your nose) while sleeping

17.) Waking up strangling during the middle of the night

18.) Having to sleep sitting up in a recliner for fear of aspirating

19.) Extreme thirst from dehydration

If you start vomiting on a regular basis, go to your doctor immediately. Sometimes if a complete unfill is done, the band will go back into place if it is caught early enough. Do not ignore vomiting or severe reflux. See your doctor immediately upon experiencing any strange symptoms. It is easier to have an unfill for a few weeks than to risk losing your band. Having a slipped band is a miserable experience and one that nearly cost me my life. Listen to your body and heed its warnings. Think of the long-term weight loss, not immediate gratification of losing a few pounds. When your band is positioned properly and filled properly, you will lose weight and keep it off. Here's wishing all of you continued good health.

Vivian

Thank you Vivian! I think it's important to know symptoms of slippage. Everything I read doesn't really explain what you would be feeling. You have given us a very detailed explaination and it will be helpful for everyone.

Charlene

I am happy I found this thread. I am seeing Dr Billy this week and I will BEG him to do my revision surgery ASAP!!!! I can't stand this anymore!!!! I have been living with this slip for the last 6 months. I have gained almost 20 lbs and I am MISERABLE!!!

Now heres the worst part. I have no insurance. None! I have been out of work for 6 months and have absolutely NO money. I plan to just be a "private pay" patient and live with the outcome. Dr Billy can't even be sure if he can fix my band at all. Worst case senario is I wake up with no band and thousands of dollars in debt. OH GOD! I can't stand the thought.

P.S Dr Billy thinks my slip was due to 100% poor doctor placement. So, to all who still think Dr Lopez is "great" and "wonderful", I hope none of you have to go through this drama.

Christine

Banded by Dr Lopez Corvala (worst mistake a person could make):faint:

Wow legallyblonde...have you tried to get coverage through Medicaid? If youre not working that should be an option. Not sure where you are but in NY, where I am, it only takes a day or so to have coverage kick in.

I'll keep you in my prayers, LegallyBlonde. I know exactly how you feel. However, with my 3rd and final insurance appeal, my bills are being paid. I was told BCBS does not pay for gastric bypass or lapband due to a written exclusion but they do pay for complications. Praise God because He answered my prayers. I'm so sorry you don't have insurance. Please check into Medicaid. Like you, I was banded in Tijuana Mexico by a supposedly world renowned surgeon and mine was placed too low initially as well which resulted in slippage. At least I have learned from my mistakes. Never again will I seek medical advice outside the U.S. It would have been cheaper in the long run to have just paid for the surgery in the U.S. to begin with. Live and learn.... I'm wishing you the best and I hope they can save your band. Please keep us posted.

I don't think it is fair that you judge your weight gain while you have slippage. I would take the road of the band not working properly. You should be fine once your band is corrected. Good luck.

Hi..I also have a slipped band....I had all Vivian's symptoms while it was slipping I guess....now it is like it is not even there...I was with PPO Oklahoma when I got the surgery but they switched to BCBS just Jan 1...they are declining to pay for the corrective surgery saying that there is no show of need????..we are now appealing so any help would be appreciated....my lap band has never worked from what I hear from everybody else as proper as I have never felt true restriction and I am filled well over 4cc in a 4cc band with no restriction now...anyways just wanted to let everybody know that sometimes with slippage you have no symptoms..the band just doesn't work..please everybody pray for me that insurance will cover it as I am well over 75K in debt from a failed business Thanks Kim