Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone spent longer time on liquid diet then what the doctor suggests?

I got a packet of what the diet is like post op and he has people going to soft foods 2 days after surgery? Does that sound right? If I don't feel ready can I stay on liquids or full liquids longer? That just doesn't seem like a lot of time to heal before real food.< /p>

Wow. I'm on nil by mouth for 4 days, 'runny' liquids for 10 days, purées/blendered (thick) liquids for 2 weeks then 'mashed' foods for 2 weeks. I think mashed foods might be equivalent to your 'soft' foods. At day 11 post op I'm keen for something 'thicker' now, but I've only just started feeling this way.

As you said, you don't have to move as fast as your doctors program says is possible -- it may work for some and not others.

Good luck.

Every doctor is different when it comes to the post-op diet. I stayed on liquids for a couple of weeks due to other problems but it did not hurt the healing process at all. I think you will be fine but always ask your doctor as well. :)

My doctor had me (and other patients) on what they call "full liquids" for two weeks post-op. That was basically Protein Shakes, milk, and Soup that can fit through a strainer. Then "soft foods' like yogurt and mashed potatoes after two weeks. Starting those things after a couple of days scared me...I wouldn't have been anywhere ready. I can't imagine that staying on liquids longer will hurt...I would think it'd only help!

My NUT diet said move to soft and blenderized at 3 days. My MD at my 2 week check up, moved me back to liquids for a full 4 weeks.

I am on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks, full fluids for 2 weeks, 2 weeks for purée and 2 weeks soft. It seems like overkill to me, esp with people eating 4 days post op. but whatev. I'll do as I'm told...

Thanks everyone! My friend was done by the same surgeon and said the morning after surgery there was a soft scrambled egg on her hospital Breakfast tray. I can't imagine! I mean, she lost 75lbs since November so she must be doing something right.

Just from reading on here every dr is different. I an 3 weeks post op. Day after surgery i was on Water and crystal light for 5 days and then adding Protein Shakes 3 a day plus all my Fluid intake for 2 weeks. I just started soft foods yesterday. I was told no Soups and def no mashed potatoes. But again every dr is different. Good luck.

danelle235 I am on the same diet. 2 weeks of clear liquids. Seems excessive to me too.

Can someone please tell me what a "NUT" is - I read the term all the time but it means nothing to me.

My friend had it done in 2010.......he was on Soups and other liquids for 6mths.....he lost 150lbs in that time.....he's maintained it, looks great and now off of all his medication......he originally paid for it out of country, when the insurance company saw that he came off all his medication they reimbursed him the $ for the surgery....it costed him $8000...and they gave his $6500.

Sent from my iPad using VST

NUT = NUTritionist

NUT= Nutritionist..........

Can someone please tell me what a "NUT" is - I read the term all the time but it means nothing to me.

My friend had it done in 2010.......he was on Soups and other liquids for 6mths.....he lost 150lbs in that time.....he's maintained it' date=' looks great and now off of all his medication......he originally paid for it out of country, when the insurance company saw that he came off all his medication they reimbursed him the for the surgery....it costed him 8000...and they gave his 6500.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Hmm.. Can you get everything you need nutritionally from just liquids and full liquids?

I am about three months out. My post op diet went first week clear liquid, second week full liquid, the next two weeks puréed food then two weeks soft foods then my doctor cleared me to eat anything. You can't worry early on about if your getting what you need nutritiously in those first few weeks. I was taking a multi Vitamin Gummy and just concentrating on getting fluids in so you don't become dehydrated. Also your stomach is being held together by staples I really don't think it would be wise to put any added pressure on them this early while your stomach is still healing. Being successful with your weight loss has less to do with your first few weeks and much more with how you eat when your off of restrictions. I would listen to your doctor but personally if they told me to eat food immediately after having 85% of my stomach removed I would be a bit concerned.