Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You young'ens explain something to me

I'm trying to understand what type of music falls into the "emo" category. My young'en cousins were discussing this with me and I'm just not getting it. They told me it's emotional, boys liking girls, stuff like that. But lots of songs are like that, though not considered emo.

So what makes emo different from anything else?

What bands are emo bands? Or songs are emo songs?

Would Snow Patrol's "Run" be emo?

Good question. I have heard of the expression, but have no clue. I am not a young-en though :) I don't think my 80's hair band music would be considered emo though?!?

I'm told it's the bands that cater to the young, sad, weird hair boys. They have the really long bangs, usually in their faces, wear tight t-shirts, and tight pants. (think skinny legged jeans). Hot Topic now carries skinny tees for the guys. There are 3 ways to classify music, EMO, ScreamO and ExtremeO, go figure. I have a 17 year old niece that spends loads of time with us, that is how I know this. She says the EMO boys are depressed little wimps. ~Mandy

Musically Emo is something that deals with depression and angst ridden topics. However, lots of things deal with those topics, and Emo is more about what the person is wearing while they sing their emo songs.

Emo looks:

Long Dyed Bangs

Thick rimmed glasses

Tight fitting shirts and jeans

Pseudo-Gothic makeup

Sometimes display their "cutting" which while a serious problem in some is mostly trendy scratches on most whiny emo's.

Emo's are targeted for mocking because of their especially wimpy and melodramatic nature. Something like, "Wah wah my middle class suburban life, with two loving parents, is crushing my soul into a black hole of oblivion. Nobody understands me! I'm going to go cut myself and listen to Linken Park."

Good Heavens, and there's a word for this? What does EMO mean, or stand for, or whatever? And what about ScreamO and ExtremeO?

This is another world for me...ugh!

screamO is exactly what is sounds like it is....bands that scream

ExtemeO is really really hardcore what used to be called death metal, still screaming but the people in the audience fight.....

This is a sorta combo of screamO and extremeO, I know some of the kids in this video, they are my nieces friends. The "dance" that the boys are doing is called two-steppin' cowboys would roll over in their graves.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FmvHHtNdY]YouTube - OdiS[/ame]

Oh to be a teen again. ~Mandy

I have a 14 yr old son and a 15 yr old daughter. And EMO to them is "EMOtional " Music that is based on emotions. Talks alot about emotions . The kids who listen to that kind of music and " Dress" a certain way , black hair, tight pants, more punk rock are EMO .

Here is a good link

http://www.fourfa.com/

This has pics of "Emo" Fashion"

Here at least Emo kids arent known for cutting

Mindy

The Emo kids here don't actually do cutting, but they make scratches, so it looks like they do. ~Mandy

Wow its a far cry from my Crooner music! ie Ella Fitzgerald, Westlife, Diana Ross....I think I will stick to them though...How depressing some of that 'emo' music is.

:welldone2: Becky

Not all of it is. And i know alot of emo kids that dont cut or scratch. It is more thought provoking music then say... britany, or paris, or anythign else pop. It is not all bad either and they are far more upbeat then a marose goth kid.

They usually are politically observant and they stay up on events. They are more a movement, not just a fashion sense. But many people listen to emo and do not get into that.

I think I graduated right around the time that Emo was becoming a big thing, but it seems to me that it's kind of a branch off of the goth crowd....