Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hi Missy,

What is he worrying about? I was never in any pain what so ever. Does he think having the lap band is dangerous? The other surgery, gastric bypass is far more dangerous. Lap band can always be reversed. We don't loose nutrtion the way the GP patients do. I am sure if you tell us what his worry is, we will be able to help. We are all very happy with our decision. My main worry was that I wouldn't be able to eat the foods I love, but I really don't need to be eating the wrong foods anyway. So far, I haven't found any foods I can't eat. I have heard a lot of people can't eat bread though, once they get proper restriction. I have heard of people chewing the bread up and spitting it out though, just for the flavor. Kind of gross, but I could see me doing that!

we have only been married for a little over a year together almost 3 and thinks i should give him a fair chance and reducing my wt.. he doesnt understand i have been through the yo yo wt loss enough to know i dont want that anymore.. he cant wrap his mind around having an elective surgery to lose wt. his main fear is long term.. he does not feel there is suffecient research on the procedure- he wants to know what the super long term effects will be.. i try explaining to him that if there are any complications with it that it can be removed, unlike with the bypass. nothing so far has set his mind at ease.. i have told him to read the boards and see what other people are saying about it... at this point he just says "tell me where to take you and what to fix you to eat"

Hello! Congrats to all you new bandsters!

Audree, hope you are feeling better soon. You must have got some serious nails if you can't type! hehe.

My fill has kicked in big time. I have had trouble keeping food down the last couple days. I am a professional slimer. I have to learn to ssssslllllooooooowwwwww dddddooooowwwwnnnnn. I also can't have something/someone stressing me out, or distracting me with conversation while I am eating. Sounds like I am a fun date. I was layingn in bed the other night wishing I had more restriction....well I got my wish! I feel like I have to learn to eat all over again....but no regrets, not even for a second.

Take care everyone!

Victoria.

Hey Bandiva!!!

I am supposed to get my fill next week and I am hoping to get restriction but then i am scared. I have been able to eat anything I want and don't have to eat slow either. I am going to have to watch it.

I weigh in on Friday. I was premenstrual last Friday so I stayed the same in weight. *I feel thinner though.

So, what advice would you give to not slime? What causes it for you?

Yeah, my nails are definitely a lot longer than the small ones I am used to that always break. I asked for short but I guess for them, this was. I haven't had nails for 12 years!!!

I am getting better at the typing. I was getting really frustrated that I couldn't type and get my thoughts down.:faint:

I normally type like 70 words a minute, so I was hating my nails getting stuck inbetween the keys and hitting all the wrong keys and add hormones to it!!

I am feeling better today!!!

How are you? What did you do for Valentine's Day?

My hubby got me an Ipod so I am going to start my workout regime!!! I need to have music or I just can't get into it. So, now I have no excuses!!

Missy, They have been doing the band in other countries a lot longer than the United States. I haven't heard of any long term problems. There have been people that have had to have their bands removed for certain reasons, but it's not a normal and common thing. There are quite a few lap band boards. He should try to read some either on this board or another one. This board has a page for common questions.

I knew for me, the only thing in site was gaining more weight. I have been dieting my entire life.

Hey bandiva,

I get my fill next week and I am like you, wishing for restriction.

I have to be a little careful how I eat and when I eat but I can still eat a lot.

Audree when is your fill? It is next week, right? Mine is Friday the 23rd.

I had to reschedule, so I have to ask if I can go next Wednesday.

Than to learn all over again!!!

I haven't Pb'd or slimed so I am going to be watching it!!

hey guys- any advice on how to make dh feel better about the surgery.. he is worrying hisself into a frenzy.. i have scheduled a 2nd seminar with a different Dr. just so he can go and ask his questions- i think when he ask me the questions i sugar coat the answers..

I had my husband watch the video and he felt better. But, it freaked me out!!:faint:

Happy Valentines Day!!!

I am feeling better today!!

I am not hungry much and haven't been during my period for some reason. I feel like a headache wants to come on and that makes me feel nauseous. I do feel some restriction during this time too.

I am glad I got my period this week since someone told me you shouldn't if you are on your period. Has anyone else heard that? She said because your are swollen and they can't gauge the restriction right??

Hi Guys,

I have a BMI of 37 and am 5ft6. I am being banded next Saturday and am quite nervous.

The biggest thing that is worrying me is loose skin. Did many low bmi bandsters experience loose skin?

Im 26 so hoping my age will work for me, I do however have stretch marks on my stomach.

Would really value any replies. Thanks x

Missy67:

My husband wasn't for the band either. He is also overweight and he takes meds, but he totally against the surgery for him. I've been on this roller coaster for awhile and felt that I can't do this anymore. One day when I was at home (alone) I went to take my shower and passed the mirror. I stopped and looked. I diguested myself - there is no way in the world that I would be able to continue to live my life like this. Later on I sat down and thought what if I keep doing what I'm doing where will I be? For the last 15 years I've been looking for a tool that would help me loose weight and keep it off. We've all tried them all - All the infomercials, the dieting, the starving, but those are TEMPORARY FIXES. We do loose, but then we regain and then something happens and 1 bad day turns into 2 and then 3 and so on.

I knew about the lapband but didn't know a lot about it - I started researching that day. I thought I have to take care of me and then I can take care of my husband and kids. If I'm unhealthy how can I be a good wife or mother. My kids are like the energizer bunny - I have to be around to be there for them. I told my husband about it, I told him why I wanted to do it and I went to the seminar. He left the house one day and about 15 min later he called me and said - "I'll support you if you really want to do this". From then on he's been very supportive.

The best advice I can give is to take care of you so that you can live a long life with him. I'm sure after the surgery when you start having all that energy he'll be a HAPPY MAN!!

hey guys- any advice on how to make dh feel better about the surgery.. he is worrying hisself into a frenzy.. i have scheduled a 2nd seminar with a different Dr. just so he can go and ask his questions- i think when he ask me the questions i sugar coat the answers..

Audree,

My doctor does not recommend having a fill while on your period. However, once I went in right before mine was suppose to start and she filled me extra tight and said to do liquids for a few extra days. It is much better if you go in right after your period ends, so you will be the least swollen, remembering that you may tighten up again as you get close to that time of the month again.

you guys are great.. we had a very long talk and he is still very leary of it but supports my decision... he is going to attend a seminar next tuesday and hopefully that will answer his questions.. good thing the seminars just give you the icing on the cake and not the actual cake.. lol

Hello Everyone:

I'm still waiting on the letter from the insurance company. I'm going to call the Dr.'s office on tomorrow and see if they've heard anything. I've been told by other Banders that once I get my letter and call the office I should be able to have my surgery the following week. I hope so.

Missy67: I think in the end you and your DH will be much happier. You will be successful with loosing weight and keeping it off and that will make him happy because you are happy. I think that is a motivator for me. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

Thanks to all those that answered my question about the pre-op info. I found it and plan to go out and pick up everything this weekend. I'm like a kid at christmas, I can't wait!!!

Type to ya later.

Hi Guys,

I have a BMI of 37 and am 5ft6. I am being banded next Saturday and am quite nervous.

The biggest thing that is worrying me is loose skin. Did many low bmi bandsters experience loose skin?

Im 26 so hoping my age will work for me, I do however have stretch marks on my stomach.

Would really value any replies. Thanks x

My daughter is 25 and has a lot of loose skin. She lost 130 lbs though, so it doesn't sound like you have much to lose with a lower BMI. It really depends on how much weight you're going to take off. I have heard that younger people's skin will go shrink back, but some of my daughter's friends have lost a lot of weight and had loose skin too. A couple of them had tummy tucks.

biker- thank you very much

i am also waiting on my ins. called this morning and they told me that the dr's office and cancelled it:( .. i was so freaked out. had to wait til 1pm this afternoon to find out what happened. seems there was an error on the letter and they had to cancel the original and resubmit.. now the process starts all over:faint:

My daughter is 25 and has a lot of loose skin. She lost 130 lbs though, so it doesn't sound like you have much to lose with a lower BMI. It really depends on how much weight you're going to take off. I have heard that younger people's skin will go shrink back, but some of my daughter's friends have lost a lot of weight and had loose skin too. A couple of them had tummy tucks.

Thank you for replying Denise. I need to lose 30 kilos - I think that is about 66 pounds. I now weigh right on 100 kilos and want to be 70 kilos.

I am hoping that excercise will help ... especially weights. Anyone think this has helped them with loose skin?

ps: Please pass on my congratulations to your daughter, her weight loss is fantastic and an inspiration. May I ask you how long this has taken her?