Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does my stomach hurt when I am in bed at night? HELP!

Hi All,

I am 5 days post op & I am not taking the pain meds prescribed to me during the day but find myself using them at night (even though they are not providing me any relief). I wake up at night in excruciating pain & can't lift myself out of bed. The pain is so unbearable that it paralyzes me (I try to sleep sitting up in bed).I use a heating pad on the area & I have been sleeping with a pillow on my stomach & at my side. I wake in the middle of the night & in morning feeling like someone beat me in my sleep. It usually takes me about 30 min to an hour of walking around & moving to help with the pain when I get up (hence the reason I am posting this around 3AM).

Is this caused from muscle pain or is this gas?

:wacko:

Does anyone know why I am experiencing this PAIN?? How do I make it a little more BEARABLE? How long does this normally last post surgery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

♥Thanks, Kristie ♥

Call your dr. I was in terrible pain the first week but it got better everyday. At that time I took the pain medicine every 6 hours to help me out. Sometimes you have to stay ahead of the pain. Try sleeping in a recliner and see if that helps. Praying for you.

I had that same pain the 1st 10 days. I had to sleep propped up/on my back. I felt a pulling sensation in my stomach in addition to the pain whenever I tried laying flat and on my side. I rolled up a comforter and use two pillows to keep myself propped up in bed. About day 10 I was able to lay flat and on either side without discomfort.

I had that same pain the 1st 10 days. I had to sleep propped up/on my back. I felt a pulling sensation in my stomach in addition to the pain whenever I tried laying flat and on my side. I rolled up a comforter and use two pillows to keep myself propped up in bed. About day 10 I was able to lay flat and on either side without discomfort.

Me too. It seemed like it took forever to be able to lay in any other position besides flat on my back. I slept with several pillows behind my head, one on my side and one under my knees. There wasn't much room left for my husband! ;)

Thank All for replying.. I propped myself all up in the bed last night & when I went to get out of bed this morning It felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach!! It is HORRIBLE!! Don't have a recliner but have a nice arm chair with ottoman. Maybe I will sleep there tonight. <SIGH> Probably should call doctor cause my pain meds have run out. UGH!!

I had surgery Monday and this pain in my stomach I can't tell if hunger, gas, or surgery pain. My husband ask me what hurts honey and I can't tell him!

A couple of things can cause this. One it is more natural for us to be upright, so our organs are designed for that. Laying down changes angles and pressure that can cause pain. The other reason is circulation. When we're awake, up and moving our circulation is better bringing fresh blood and oxygen to our healing tummies. When we lay down and sleep, our circulation decreases and causes more pain and stiffness. The more active you can be during the day, the faster you will heal and the faster the pain will disappear. Just don't over do! You will feel better soon!

I have been sleeping on the couch. I decided to try the bed again last night & woke at 2:00AM in excruciating pain (almost passed out). I think it is partially low circulation. I am 9 days post op & was hoping it would get easier (pain wise).

Thanks all for your input. I am finally doing great. It took awhile to get past the sleeping on the couch. I think I slept on the couch for almost 2 1/2 weeks. The Doctor explained to me that they cut through a muscle to get to my stomach. The muscle they cut through was tight cause I had a Tummy Tuck about 8 years ago & they had fixed that muscle. So the surgery aggrivated it pretty bad. I am a few days shy of being 4 weeks post op. I am feeling GREAT!!! The only suggestion I have for others dealing with pain is take it easy. don't over do it. I over did it a little & that prolonged my recovery. Good luck all....

I couldn't sleep in a bed until 11 days out. My recliner was my best friend!

i'm 4 day post-op. in the hospital they said to not lay on the right side. so, i was sleeping on my back which sucks and then last night i slept on my left side with a pillow propping up my tummy and it was fine. when i got up to pee, i did what i usually do, and switched to my right side. ugh it felt like a stone had just dropped and was pulling my stomach with it-ouch. so i very slowly and painfully rolled onto my back and then i was fine. i have to remember to not switch sides tonight!

If you have a drain, the pressure from that can cause cramping and pain. I had 3 days of horrible pain, I could not walk, breath or sleep, when I called my surgeons service, they said to not to remove the air from the drain. That gave me almost immediate relief. I was ecstatic when I had it removed, although that also caused pain because it had migrated.

Hope you feel better soon!

My Doctor had told me that he cut through my stomach muscle. That is why I was having so much pain. I am 2 1/2 months post surgery!! It was hell at first but all worth it in the end!! :-)

My pain lasted the whole first week after surgery. Literally on the eighth day I woke up and the pain had been cut in half I swear! I am three weeks out and am just now able to sleep comfortably.