Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I thought I was safe, I'm almost 4 months, dueing great, can eat pretty much anything with no problems.

Then two weeks ago it happened! My hair started coming out. My question is how long does it keep falling out?

And how much do you actually lose? Seems like so much is coming out. And just when I am starting to look and feel really good. If this keeps up all my drains will be completely clogged.

Please give me answers... I will end up pretty depressed if this continues. How will I go out in public:(

Mine started falling out about... 3 weeks ago. I am visibly thinning around the temples. I'm 24.

I am looking into special shampoos. I am not going to go bald!!!!

Also

I loose huge clumps everyday. I am literally scared to brush my hair.< /p>

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I heard that this Shampoo works wonders.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Cosmetics-Everyday-Shampoo-Chamomile/dp/B000FGC99Y

Here's a great article about it. In case VST doesn't allow links, I'll post it below too: http://www.advancedweightlossnj.com/hair-loss-after-surgery.php

Hair loss after Weight Loss Surgery

hair loss after bariatric surgery is very common and can occur in up to 40% of patients. We lose hair every day as part of a natural growth cycle. Many other external factors including stress, genetics, environment and diet can also cause hair loss in both men and women. Losing hair after weight loss surgery however is most often caused by the initial drastic reduction in nutritional and Vitamin intake. The sudden change in calorie and nutrient absorption can be a shock to the bodies.

Why Might I Lose Hair?

The body is a well-tuned machine. However, as we get older and our lifestyle patterns change, that delicate balance can be thrown off. This can result in overeating, under exercising and other behaviors that are not optimal for good health in adulthood. Bariatric surgery aims to rebalance the body, at least with regard to caloric intake and weight. It does so by restricting the number of calories that can be consumed or absorbed into the body.

In the case of an obese bariatric patient, the body will be used to consuming far more than it needs. This means that after bariatric surgery patients will be “depriving” their bodies of half or more of their usual caloric intake. The result is a shock to the body as it struggles to regain its caloric equilibrium with the new healthier lifestyle. This sock may, in turn, cause temporary hair loss and nutrients and Vitamins are routed to other parts of the body.

The trauma of surgical procedure itself can also contribute to hair loss. Surgery in and of itself causes a temporary disturbance to the body which may also cause hair loss. Every person’s body reacts to traumatic effects in different ways, making causes difficult to pinpoint and prevention virtually impossible.

Weight loss also causes changes in hormone levels (for the better, but changes nonetheless). These fluctuations can cause Hair growth to be altered or stunted. After significant weight loss the body will continue to adjust its hormone balance until it stabilizes at more normal levels when the patient reaches their weight loss goals.

It is also important to remember that there are other reasons for hair loss that should be considered along with typical post-surgical issues.

1. Stress can cause hair loss as it affects many of the body’s normal functions. This can be heightened by obesity. One of the lifestyle changes on which a patient needs to focus includes stress reduction. Lowering stress levels may prevent some hair loss or thinning.
  2. Genetic baldness, known as pattern baldness, can also be a contributing factor at virtually any age in adulthood. Patients should learn more by speaking to their physician.

When Might I Lose Hair?

Typically, if they lose any at all, patients can expect to start losing their hair between three and six months after surgery. Some patients may lose it sooner and some much later. On average, it will start to regain its former thickness about a year or 18 months after surgery when the patient’s weight and eating patterns have stabilized. Gastric bypass patients typically have a higher chance of losing hair than gastric banding or gastric sleeve patients as the restriction and malabsorption of calories is greater.

The best way to avoid hair loss or to mitigate its effects is to follow the diet that your bariatric surgeon has prescribed, as this will take into account your nutritional needs after surgery.

Generally speaking, losing hair after bariatric surgery is quite normal and most often temporary. Once the body’s weight has stabilized, in most cases it will begin to re-grow and return back to its normal fullness and thickness.

Treatments for Hair Loss

Since this is a temporary condition, we do not recommend altering your prescribed routine or taking additional supplementation to avoid or reverse hair loss. You must be especially careful not to take minerals such as Iron and zinc or vitamins in excess as this could cause a dangerous overdose. If you decide to undergo treatment for hair loss, we advise that you speak to your surgeon or dietitian to make sure that any dietary or drug changes will not interfere with your recovery.