Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really confused and overwhelmed

I was looking into locally having the sleeve done here but my insurance won't pay. Been researching Mexico but am overwhelmed. I keep coming up with new fasilitators and doctors. Is there one website out there that lists all these companies, the doctors and their ratings etc? I've been reading all of these posts, most sound pretty good, but I'm kind of scared about the ones who are not talking. I was reading 1 post where it left off she was going in for surgery a few weeks ago and hasn't left another message. I feel like I'm going in circles trying to research.

Thanks for any info you can offer,

Cindy

If you don't mind waiting just another 14 or 15 days or so , I will get back to you with a NEW reply, I am going to TJ surgery on May 6th, with Dr. Cabrera...... I would be willing to share the entire truth with you.

Narrow you search down and then pm the patients of drs you are considering. Talk with several from several different docs

It is hard isn't it. I decided to go to a doctor where I was able to speak to actual people who had been to him, so I knew they actually went. I was so paranoid! I just had a revision in March. Good luck!

I was looking into locally having the sleeve done here but my insurance won't pay. Been researching Mexico but am overwhelmed. I keep coming up with new fasilitators and doctors. Is there one website out there that lists all these companies, the doctors and their ratings etc? I've been reading all of these posts, most sound pretty good, but I'm kind of scared about the ones who are not talking. I was reading 1 post where it left off she was going in for surgery a few weeks ago and hasn't left another message. I feel like I'm going in circles trying to research.

Thanks for any info you can offer,

Cindy

There isn't a single website that I was able to find, when I was researching doctors in Mexico. It helped me to create a spreadsheet for myself, then decide what my priorities were in treatments/doctors, then narrow it down. For instance, I wanted to be treated in a hospital where I would stay overnight rather than it being an outpatient procedure where I left right afterward, I wanted a facility that could do critical care if necessary, and a doctor that I not only felt comfortable with but that I felt comfortable with their experience. Once I started to prioritize the most important things to *me, I was able to narrow down the list. Then I was able to start contacting doctors (one of my priorities, too, was not going through a company that coordinated for more than one surgeon) and further narrowed down from there.

It is overwhelming, especially considering how much information is out there, but those of us who are post-op have done it and remember how tough it was to make the decision. We are here to answer questions and share our experiences, so don't hesitate to ask for more information if you need it!

~Kat

Absolutely I think talking to people. I am reading this board and will be reading others. I see different facilitators with the same drs and the same hospitals. What makes one better than the other? I've started a spread sheet type paper and am taking notes of the drs and hospitals etc. So far I'm hearing the most about Dr Garcia. I see he is under ready4change and alighterme and at florence hopital and MiDoctor. I'm hearing more about Midoctor and alighterme. Where can I go to actually see their credentials, if they are posted, how do you know if they are for real? How do you find out how many surgeries they have done? how do you find out about a death or complications toll?

I appreciate all your help.

Cindy

Thanks Kat, I too want a hospital to stay a few nights then atleast a hotel for a few more. I was looking at one in Juerez which I don't see anything so far on this board thru belightweight which I don't see mentioned here either. They are like in and out the same day. That scares me. It seems like Tiuana is the place to go. I have a lot more research to do yet and other website boards to read. Thanks for your imput.

Thanks Kat' date=' I too want a hospital to stay a few nights then atleast a hotel for a few more. I was looking at one in Juerez which I don't see anything so far on this board thru belightweight which I don't see mentioned here either. They are like in and out the same day. That scares me. It seems like Tiuana is the place to go. I have a lot more research to do yet and other website boards to read. Thanks for your imput.[/quote']

What is your price range?

Here on the Mx forum it hit the tab *stickies* is a web site link that has a list of surgeons that I believe have been reviewed by VST.

I went with Dr. Aceves and was treated amazingly well. He is on that list. Many on here have used Dr. A. Ortiz at the OCC and are pleased with there care.

Dr. Corvola trained many of the younger surgeons that are so popular now.

Dr. Pompa... I was not sleeved by her but a lady who was sleeved by her was in Mexicali the same time I was to have her sleeve fixed by Dr. Aceves. She posted her story on here. Sleeved Twice is the title I think...

HEre is where I am going, and WHY...... I have been fortunate in the fact that my cardiologist has been on board with me going to Mexico for self pay since my insurance does not cover..... my cardiologists office went over everything and helped me to choose a surgeon, he said NO MATTER where I go I am foremost HIS concern as his patient, and tha HE will be taking caring of me AFTER, so my choice was important to him as well.... after great discussion, and the cardiologist reviewing the desires he had for my selection..... I ended up with Dr. Cabrera.... my coordinator is CHristy... (and yes I see that the coordinators all seem linked... so confusing) but everything has gone so smooth from faxes, to phone calls, to instructions, to just everything, I am GAING reassurance the closer I get..... it does include a two day in hospital stay as well as two days at the Hilton...... my plus one is my 20 year old son...... and CHristy continues to go over every detail, and answer every panicy question I have.... I would have been so confused and scared if my cardiologist had not gotten on board for my doing this..... the sleeve is about 5,000.00 with this group of surgeons...... so glad I had help because doign research was baffling me in the start.... you can check it out here.... http://www.mexicobariatriccenter.com/ and remember I am goiing in two weeks and will do a FULL REPORT.....

Again, thanks all. I have so much to look at. I'm really not reading anything too bad yet. As for price, under the 20 grand they want here, but care is what is most important. I want a few days in a hospital, a few days at a hotel, safe area, hospital not clinic, someone with lots of surgeries under their belt, only do a few a day. No deaths...least with complications, you know....what everyone else wants :)

Here on the Mx forum it hit the tab *stickies* is a web site link that has a list of surgeons that I believe have been reviewed by VST.

I went with Dr. Aceves and was treated amazingly well. He is on that list. Many on here have used Dr. A. Ortiz at the OCC and are pleased with there care.

Dr. Corvola trained many of the younger surgeons that are so popular now.

Dr. Pompa... I was not sleeved by her but a lady who was sleeved by her was in Mexicali the same time I was to have her sleeve fixed by Dr. Aceves. She posted her story on here. Sleeved Twice is the title I think...

There are other doctors who aren't on that list who lots have had really great experiences with. I've found newer information isn't always on the stickies.

Cidmor, I started with price...I mean, I doubt I'm the only person that faced budget constraints when it comes to spending thousands of dollars. So, I looked around a bit, determined what I could afford to spend, then eliminated surgeons who were out of my price range. Next, I vetoed any doctors who didn't operate in what I consider hospitals...places that have an ICU, can do blood transfusions, and were equipped if something unexpected arose during surgery. I also vetoed any doctors who didn't require a hospital stay. I was just more comfortable with the idea of recovering in the hospital the first couple of days than going to a recovery house. Then, I eliminated all of the doctors who worked with coordinating companies. That was purely a personal preference...I felt like I didn't want to be "sold" a doctor. Again, barring some recent negative feedback surrounding one company, it wasn't that I thought those coordinating companies or services were bad, per se, it was just a personal preference. I contacted the doctors who remained and just sort of felt it out from there. I actually did change my mind and ended up switching from one surgeon to another about 6 months prior to surgery, just because there was some change in staff and issues with the original surgeon I wasn't sure about.

I'm so glad that I went with the surgeon I had a good instinct about. I imagine most of us who are post-op feel the same way! In the end, there is some intuition that goes with the logic in determining who would work best for you. I knew I was making the right choice when I Skyped with my surgeon and he was able to discuss with me, in great detail, how he was going to manage my care (I had sort of a unique circumstance in that I knew in advance my pain management was going to be an issue) because he'd already discussed it with the anesthesiologist and cardiologist.

I will say this forum and others can be a wealth of information. Read a ton of the reviews, use your checklist, then just start contacting people and go from there!

~Kat

There are other doctors who aren't on that list who lots have had really great experiences with. I've found newer information isn't always on the stickies.

Cidmor' date=' I started with price...I mean, I doubt I'm the only person that faced budget constraints when it comes to spending thousands of dollars. So, I looked around a bit, determined what I could afford to spend, then eliminated surgeons who were out of my price range. Next, I vetoed any doctors who didn't operate in what I consider hospitals...places that have an ICU, can do blood transfusions, and were equipped if something unexpected arose during surgery. I also vetoed any doctors who didn't require a hospital stay. I was just more comfortable with the idea of recovering in the hospital the first couple of days than going to a recovery house. Then, I eliminated all of the doctors who worked with coordinating companies. That was purely a personal preference...I felt like I didn't want to be "sold" a doctor. Again, barring some recent negative feedback surrounding one company, it wasn't that I thought those coordinating companies or services were bad, per se, it was just a personal preference. I contacted the doctors who remained and just sort of felt it out from there. I actually did change my mind and ended up switching from one surgeon to another about 6 months prior to surgery, just because there was some change in staff and issues with the original surgeon I wasn't sure about.

I'm so glad that I went with the surgeon I had a good instinct about. I imagine most of us who are post-op feel the same way! In the end, there is some intuition that goes with the logic in determining who would work best for you. I knew I was making the right choice when I Skyped with my surgeon and he was able to discuss with me, in great detail, how he was going to manage my care (I had sort of a unique circumstance in that I knew in advance my pain management was going to be an issue) because he'd already discussed it with the anesthesiologist and cardiologist.

I will say this forum and others can be a wealth of information. Read a ton of the reviews, use your checklist, then just start contacting people and go from there!

~Kat[/quote']

Indeed there are. :-)

There are many great surgeons in Mexico. And you are doing the right thing in researching and talking to former patients. There are also other things to consider that I didn't really think of myself before I went to Mexico. For example, do you have any health issues that would require additional help (heart issues, bleeding issues, etc.) Another, is some of the folks that work for the surgeons are on these boards and you don't know they are working for the surgeon. So, if you are able, make many contacts with patients that have used the surgeon(s) you are interested in.

You are welcome to read my blog where I listed how I evaluated and selected a surgeon. http://hoosierfatty.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/evaluating-and-selecting-a-surgeon-in-mexico/

GOOD LUCK!

Cindy, I know it can feel overwhelming. I spent months researching and choosing a surgeon/hospital/coordinator and changed my mind several times.

I think the most important thing is to know yourself and your health status; what risk factors do you have or even strong preferences? Then contact the surgeons on your short list and bluntly ASK. They will tell you and are honest about it. For example, I knew I was very low risk because I spent the last half of 2012 getting tested for everything I could think of and had no co-morbiditys (which also made me ineligible for insurance coverage). I have no allergies. But if I had any of those concerns I would ask my prospective surgeon how they would handle that.

There are several excellent surgeons and their teams that folks on this board have used and been very happy with. My choice eventually came down to I loved the personality of my dr. He has a Face Book page and his commitment to his patients and team just shines through. So after my basic criteria were met and I had a short list, it was just a feeling I had. And I'm very happy with that choice!