Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to loose 170lbs with the sleeve?

I need to loose a lot of weight however I'm trying to set small goals so I don't get upset. I'm having the VSG may 1st. How much have you lost in a year? When you hit a plateau what do you do? Any info would be great thanks

I had 106 to lose, and was sleeved 3-12 and already down 30.4 in little less than 5 weeks no stalls yet ( knock on wood) no nausea no vomiting, no trouble eating any foods. 75.6lbs to go so I am hopefully I will be able to get to goal, and sure you will too.

Is it possible? Yes.

Keep in mind that initially weight loss is very rapid and pretty easy. As you get closer to a normal BMI it takes more effort. What would your BMI be if you lost 170lbs? My experience is that it's pretty easy to get to about 30-33 BMI. After that you have to be willing to really work at it, or be willing to accept much slower loss.

VSG is a tool, the more you properly use the tool, the more beneficial it is.

Plateaus(stalls) just happen, just as they happen, they end. The best way to deal with them is to continue doing what you know is best for you and wait them out. The good thing about plateaus is when they end you usually lose several lbs very quickly.

I have seen it done plenty of times. I know a fellow sleeve patient that has lost 265lbs, and I have seen many on here as well, so it is possible! But don't set yourself thinking you will lose it all in the first year. Yes, the first 6 months to year is the "honeymoon" phase where you lose the quickest, but it doesn't mean your sleeve expires after a year! It took me 18 months to reach goal, and the person above that I mentioned is almost 3 years post op and still losing slowly here and there. The important thing is to stick to the plan and make permanent changes to your lifestyle. It is very easy to get caught up in the "honeymoon" phase when you can eat almost anything and still lose. I am 2.5 years post-op, and I can tell you, it does not last. If you keep making bad choices, eating lots of slider foods and drinking calories, it can not only stall your weight loss, but you can start gaining. The sleeve is not a cure and it is not magic. It is an amazing tool that you need to work with to help you achieve your goals, but it is for a lifetime, not just the first year.

For me, I had around 80 lbs I wanted to lose. I lost the first 55lbs in the first 6 months, and it took me the next year to lose the next 25lbs. I made changes that I could live with for a lifetime and did not follow a specific diet. Maybe if I would have, I may have lost faster, but I knew it would have been something I could not maintain forever. I actually thought I was done losing about 5-10lbs from my original goal, and I was ok with that. Then, about 4 months later, I started losing again and actually dropped below my original goal. It is important to set a realistic goal for yourself. I see too many people get a specific number in their head that may not be the right number for them. Some achieve it, many don't. I set my goal just withing a normal BMI, but I never actually thought I would even reach it! As for stalls, I just learned to roll with it. If I wasn't gaining, I was happy! Stalls happen to everyone and it is a normal part of losing weight. The more stressed about it you get, the less the chance you will be able to break through it (not that I am perfect and have never freaked about anything, but I have and still am learning!)

Good luck on your journey!

The heavier you start out, the quicker you lose. I started at 480. My insurance required a six month supervised weight loss program BEFORE surgery. I lost 110 pounds in the six months. My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I've lost 50 more pounds. I'm now at 320. I hope to be under 200 by the end of the year.

I am six months post-op and have lost 129lbs (50lbs I lost pre-op ). My goal is to have a normal BMI, so that would be a 179lb weight loss when I reach goal.

I believe the sleeve is the off switch that I never had before. As soon as I feel that restriction/ full feeling, I'm done!

Wow thanks everyone you all look great and have lost a lot! I see one of you runs in marathons that is awesome I haven't ran in years it will be nice to.

It is possible, but takes a lot of work after month 6. You have to double down your commitment to both exercise and eating well. The last 15 lbs to goal is quite a bit of intense activity. I have lost about 180 lb in about 6 months and hit goal at that time. Currently on Month 9. The biggest struggle I have now is with maintaining within +3 lb. Hunger is a constant issue and having to learn new ways of dealing with it.

I've lost 143 pounds (50 of that during pre-op diet.). When I get to goal of 160, I will have lost 178 pounds. I think it's doable but it may not happen in under a year. I'm 11 months out & think it will take me until 18 months to get there. But I do not think I will get there by being one of those that "walk around the block" for exercise. Many get to goal that way, but my body is fighting me & I work out hard. (Also, I'm 5'7, & down from a size 30/32 to a medium & size 11/12.)

Good luck! You can do this!

post-31248-13813664807799_thumb.jpg

I have lost 142 pounds so far. Yesterday was 8 months post op. i'd like to lose about 40-50 more. It is possible, but like everyone else said, it takes dedication and commitment. The weight loss is much slower now that i am 8 months out, but i am keeping my eye on the prize! Good luck!

Even though they cut off the hunger hormone you still get hungry? How many meals and s acid a day do you have? @ fiddleman

Even though they cut off the hunger hormone you still get hungry? How many meals and s acid a day do you have? @ fiddleman

No acid that I am directly aware of. I eat up to 6x a day. These are little 3-4 oz of dense Protein. I also burn about 800-1100 calories a day in exercise (running or cross fit). I feel like I am eating enough as far as quantity goes, but it only satisfies for about 1.5 hour instead of 3 hours like it used to before month 6.

It is possible. I have lost 173 lbs. in a year and a half since my surgery. It fell off quickly at first and now has leveled off. I am more than thrilled with what I have done and the changes in my life. Doing my very first 5K this weekend. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I could do this but with this helper all things are possible. Keep a smile on and know you are worth it.