Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! The pain is awful!

As stated in an earlier post, I had my first lap fill on July 19th and during the wee hours of this morning I started having awful pain .... like terrible indigestion only it was in the stomach area and went clear through to my back! I thought I was certainly having a heart attack! So when my husband got up at 4AM to go to work, I squeaked out ..."Please bring me some water" After drinking some Water, I was able to relax and get some sleep. Got up feeeling fine. Then I started sipping some slim fast and BAM started all over again! The only way I was able to live was to make myself BELCH....over and over! Sounded like an 'Ole drunk man!:D Finally it passed..after several hours. Have any of you had that???:) Now I am afraid to drink anything or even take my meds! Help!!! Any advice?

How much was your first fill? It could be that you have too much of a fill and may need to have just a tiny bit removed. Sometimes it can take a couple of days for your fill to kick in this is why you are now experiencing discomfort instead of on the 19th, my fill took a week to kick in. It has been a month and a half since my fill and I can honestly say I still have restriction and I only had 1.1cc's

Today has been a very tight day for me, havent been able to eat much without getting the golf ball feeling in my chest. If you continue to experience this pain just on liquids please call your doctor and explain it to him. If you have this with liquids ...solids will be hell.

Good Luck to you

Originally posted by La_madam

How much was your first fill? It could be that you have too much of a fill and may need to have just a tiny bit removed. Sometimes it can take a couple of days for your fill to kick in this is why you are now experiencing discomfort instead of on the 19th, my fill took a week to kick in. It has been a month and a half since my fill and I can honestly say I still have restriction and I only had 1.1cc's

Today has been a very tight day for me, havent been able to eat much without getting the golf ball feeling in my chest. If you continue to experience this pain just on liquids please call your doctor and explain it to him. If you have this with liquids ...solids will be hell.

Good Luck to you

I do not know how much my fill was because I get ZERO info from this Dr. When I called the office....the nurse said I must learn to drink without breathing. Another words...exhal and then drink...said I was getting too much air/gas. Tonight I took my meds with a little juice and I can feel it!:) Oh, God! Surly it will be worth it all!:think

YOU POOR THING!!! And shame on those doctors for not telling you anything. I can't help you since I haven't even had my first fill yet but I sure do sypathize with you and hope things change drastically for the better soon. Teresa

Did your Dr. do the fill under fluoroscope or did he have you take a drink? I'm so sorry you're having this pain. I would definitely call him (or her). Sounds like you might be too restricted, although I am no expert, as I am going on Friday for my first fill.

Hope you feel better.

NO the surgeon I Have has Zip...Zero...NO time for questions or concerns. He always says for me to call the office and talk to the "girls" Really ticks me.......seems like he has my $$ so he is not to be bothered! Grrrrr:mad:

Originally posted by Neicy

Did your Dr. do the fill under fluoroscope or did he have you take a drink? I'm so sorry you're having this pain. I would definitely call him (or her). Sounds like you might be too restricted, although I am no expert, as I am going on Friday for my first fill.

Hope you feel better.

No he just stuck in this huge needle, did the fill...then gave me a few sips of Water.....took all of 3 minutes!

Sissy -

You are too restricted, or drinking too fast, or both. You may also be experiencing esophageal spasms, which is pain on the first bite that subsides after that initial pain. Since you're not eating solids yet I don't think it's spasms, but it could be.

Try very warm liquids first thing. Cold drinks are going to make you feel even more restricted, if you're already very tight. Sometimes warm drinks can help relax your restriction a little.

But it really sounds to me as though you need to have some fill removed. NO, you are not supposed to be in pain. Honest.

And please do not put this off!! A burning sensation could very well be reflux, and that becomes very dangerous very fast.

Keep us posted!

Whoa! You need to have a talk with him. How about a little "bedside manner"? Sometimes these Docs get arrogant and forget that their not God! Maybe he needs to know that you expect some info, and that you're entitled to know what he's done even if it takes him an extra minute.

I get extremely swollen after a fill and have some of the symptoms you talk about. First of all, drink sips of Water...sip sip sip. Then, have warm cream soups- My doctor said that the cream is heavier than Water so gravity helps it past the ticked off esophogus and stoma...and third- don't drink juice!!!!!!

I can't drink juice AT ALL without burning my stoma....

After every fill I have to go on liquids for at least three days...then I start back on solid foods very very slowly.

As for the gas- one night I had a dream that my band was blowing up ...I woke up and had such gas stuck I could hardly breath. I took some gas ex and walked around for an hour until I burped it all out (pleasant, I know!). Gas Ex has become a new friend to me...

My doctor told me to give it a week- as long as I could drink water and creamed Soups I'd be ok.

So, all this is not to say that you should not talk to you doctor and/or nurse if you need to...keep calling back until they will talk to you if you have to!

Best of luck, and hang in there...

Megan

Thank goodness for this board. There is certainly a wide range of results to consider. It's obviously up to the individual. I do hope you feel better soon Sissy.

I also use Dr. Spiegel and got my first fill on the 19th. When he gave my fill, I asked him how much (1.4) and committed it to memory so that I could keep track of it. I went to the support group on that Thursday and made an observation to the nurse...he doesn't give a person any time for questions but goes in, does his thing, then moves on to the next person. She said that he will answer questions, just have them ready and let him know that you do have questions. After he gave me my fill, I think he said that he will see me back in a month and gave me a cup of warm water... The people in the waiting room told me what that was for and what to do with it! I also found out that it is not unusual for your stomach to 'act up' after the fill (get swollen). It could be that it just needs time to get over the restriction. I do know that pain that you are feeling. I had problems with swollowing too much air. I feel like I need a lesson in how to drink and eat. I may be a natural air swollower! But, I have gas relievers handy for when I need them. Also, around the 4th of July, I had gone through alot of chest pain, stomach aches, dry heaving and kept calling the office thinking it was built up gas. It last almost a week. But, because I had a fever then and I feel so much better now, I think I may have had some type of stomach virus. If you don't feel better, keep calling the office!

Basic fill protocol is to stick with liquids for at least a day after the fill. We never know exactly how our stomachs will react.

The other thing that might help is to really try staying away from solid food or meds completely after, say, 6:00 P.M. I used to take Vitamins in the evening and once in a while I could feel them sort of burbling back up when I lay down to go to sleep. Maybe something like that it as work with you. Since I've been sticking to liquids in the evening I've had no issues at all at night (except having to pee a lot!).

Hope you're doing better! :D

Originally posted by LisaG

I also use Dr. Spiegel and got my first fill on the 19th. When he gave my fill, I asked him how much (1.4) and committed it to memory so that I could keep track of it. I went to the support group on that Thursday and made an observation to the nurse...he doesn't give a person any time for questions but goes in, does his thing, then moves on to the next person. She said that he will answer questions, just have them ready and let him know that you do have questions. After he gave me my fill, I think he said that he will see me back in a month and gave me a cup of warm Water... The people in the waiting room told me what that was for and what to do with it! I also found out that it is not unusual for your stomach to 'act up' after the fill (get swollen). It could be that it just needs time to get over the restriction. I do know that pain that you are feeling. I had problems with swollowing too much air. I feel like I need a lesson in how to drink and eat. I may be a natural air swollower! But, I have gas relievers handy for when I need them. Also, around the 4th of July, I had gone through alot of chest pain, stomach aches, dry heaving and kept calling the office thinking it was built up gas. It last almost a week. But, because I had a fever then and I feel so much better now, I think I may have had some type of stomach virus. If you don't feel better, keep calling the office!

Sounds like we were in that awful office at the same time! When you said you haad gas relievers on hand...which ones? Seems like I cannot eat or drink anything without taking in air.:sick

The nurse suggested Phazyme and chewable gas x. I have both. I dissolved the Pyazyme in a small amount of warm Water. Its not bad.

I was the first one there on that Monday and got put in a room early on. But, I heard and saw all the people when I got out of the room. Wall to wall and standing room only!

I do have to say something positive about Dr. Spiegel through, he is very meticulous about his work and wants to do a good job. I rather have one that does a good job without the good bedside manner than one with a good bedside manner doing mediocre work.

You ought to come to the support group. I learned and shared alot.