Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Boston MA

Awwww that sux that B&W doesnt :(. I enjoy that hospital more. Not sure if the location is better for me maybe. But i am going to look into that thank you

I had it at Faulkner with dr Chung 10/23. Planned on the brigham with shikora (had my kids there and he did my husband's band) but Chung did the seminar and I really liked her. She does most of non-complex ones at the Faulkner. I had never been there before but I liked it. Easier parking than the brigham for sure! Plus no traffic issues during red sox season! Good luck on your journey. Whichever hospital you choose you're in great hands!

I am getting sleeved at Faulkner hospital as well. I have Dr Robinson. I met him on April 8 got a surgery date of May 16th!! I am with BCBS of mass so no required to do the 6 month weight loss program. But I wish you luck in your journey!!

I envy you :(. I have Tufts so I have to. Good luck to you

I had Tufts last year... Then switched to my husbands insurance at his job. But I think it's a good thing to do the program... It will only make the process easier after surgery. I think everything is going so fast for me. I hope I can adjust.

You will be ok my love. You are going to get your life back. I hope i can learn from the 6 months waiting.

I am also on my journey to get sleeved. I am in Southern New Hampshire and being sleeved at the Elliott Hospital in Manchester sometime this summer. I started this process back in November 2012 when I had my yearly physical. I inquired about wls and I got my referral. I went to the info meeting in Dec. Since then I have been to the 3 group meetings that are required, I've lost the 10lbs that are also a requirement from my bariatric team. I've completed the psych evaluation. Next Tuesday I'll be going to my 4th (out of 6) monthly weight management appointments with my PCP, and I've had my EKG.

When I spoke to the Surgery Coordinator earlier this week she said that my file is now going to be sent to clinical review. They will decide if I should get any further testing done prior to scheduling me for surgery. after next tuesday I will still need 2 more monthly visits with my PCP. That puts me at mid June. Then my surgeon office will take another 5-6 weeks to schedule my surgery and get my insurance authorization. I am thinking that I should be sleeved sometime in August.

I know that 9 months seems like a long time, but so far the last 5 months have flown by.

My suggestions to you would be to start taking photos of yourself. Keep a journal and/or scrap book. Start experimenting with all different kinds of Protein shakes. I am now having 1 every morning. So far I have lost a pound a week for 12 weeks. Start exercising. I walk on my treadmill about 5 times a week for 30 to 45 min. The more in shape we are before surgery the faster we meet goal after.

Here's my advice for pre-op - follow what your doctor says, it'll be helpful in the long run. Mine put me on a 1200 calorie diet. It was hard at first, but I got used to it. I use MyFitnessPal to track everything. I like seeing what I eat, how many calories I can burn with exercise, etc. You become more conscious of what is going into your body. I originally had a 90 day wait for insurance, but turned into 6 mos because my surgeon had a baby and took extra time off. My surgery is scheduled for May 6th. Gotta keep strong!

Hi can i ask what insurance you all have? I am going in today for my information session at B&W and i would like to know what to expect from today on plz and thank you. Oh i have Harvard Pilgrim i hear they are pretty quick on approval and dont require a 6 month is that true?

Hi can i ask what insurance you all have? I am going in today for my information session at B&W and i would like to know what to expect from today on plz and thank you. Oh i have Harvard Pilgrim i hear they are pretty quick on approval and dont require a 6 month is that true?

It's best to call your insurance they can tell you best

I called my insurance all they said was that as long as its not for cosmetic reasons i am covered but that was all i was told :/

When I called mine last year they told me it is case by case everyone is different on approval

When I called mine last year they told me it is case by case everyone is different on approval

B&W has an insurance coordinator who will take care of all the insurance approvals. When you go to your info session they will tell you about that person and how to follow-up with them. I suspect one of the people at the info session will be able to give you an informed and up-to-date update on your insurance requirements.

Also - I HIGHLY recommend Dr Shikora as the surgeon and having the procedure performed at the Faulkner facility. Private rooms make a big difference.

I got alot of info at my information session last night the staff soo far has been Great very polite very helpful i myself will be seeing Dr. Shikora for my surgery called this morning and got my first 4 appointments set up for July ...hope it goes by quick...i did read here before that having the surgery at the Faulkner Bldg is the Best soo i hope mine gets scheduled there :) ....they told me that i wont be required to do the 6 months POWL because my insurance doesn't require it so yeyyy for that part.....let the journey begin =)