Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi from nikki in ireland

hi all

i already posted on another thread but thought now i found introduction thread id say helllllo again.

my name is nikki ,im 32 ,i live in ireland and im having band fitted on the 15th of december.(11 days:clap2: ) im hoping that the money being spent on it isnt wasted and that it works for me !! i know it will:) i will just have to make it work .Im having lapband fitted by dr jerome manceau at advanced cosmetic surgery in dublin .Has anyone else used them ??

Hi Nikki I had my band fitted on the 28th November 2006 6 days ago Im going to get my stitches out tomorrow 1 week post op feeling ok still a little sore. I know what you mean abot the money its so much but divide it by the lbs you want to lose and suddenly its not so much if its gone forever..... I wish you well and look forward to hearing from you soon. If you want to know anything please just ask. The staff are lovely in the clinic. have you been given a time yet ? Im 7 lb down so i feel its already working althoug i know that was fastracked by fasting and then eating so little 2 days post op. Glad to see you here before the op its a wonderful site and i feel truly helped prepare me for the whole experience I hope I can help do the same for you :)talk soon

hi loritha

oh im so glad you had surgery done by same doctor ,as when i was researching this you feel like your picking name out of a hat and i really liked him at consultation but since he only dr i went to see i was worried i was just desperate ..lol

my weight at the moment at around 270lbs and i want to get to 168 lbs

so much the same as sugarplum above who has made it whoo hoo !!! ,im so glad you posted as it great to see people who have came out the other side.what an amazing journey and im about to start mine.

Nikki you will be fine as long as you remember its you who has to do the work the and is just your conscience!

Take care if you want to ring me i will PM my Number to you take care lorraine

Welcome Mystique32

Its not an easy ride! But way worthit...If you want to succeed and embrace the band It will work for you.

Good luck!

Hi Nikki just thought id drop by and say hello

Hope you are recovering well and are all organised for Christmas

Talk to you soon

Lorraine

Just thought I would stop in and say hi to a fellow lapbander that also happens to be a mom of 4 boys like me. We are also about the same age. :)

Hi Loriha and Nikki, was just reading your posts. I have an appointment for a consultation with ACS with Dr Manuceau next Saturday 11th August. I've done a lot of research and was originally thinking about travelling to London or Belguim to have it done, didn't realise they did the banding in Dublin. Am scared but also looking forward to getting some control back. How are you both doing now? Was it very painful/uncomfortable?

Hi Debb

GOOD LUCK on Sat! am dying to hear how you get on as I am only at the stage of researching it all having read somewhere that they are doing it in Cork.I thought about it also in Belgium but my Dr was against it in case i had a problem afterwards.

I dont understand what these "fills" are-it only mentions a "ring" on the website and in Manuceau's blurb? can you explain pl?

I am currently 19st and am desperate,having tried everything for YEARS(For ever actually)the only thing that I am afraid of is that I will fail,having spent the 10k-my husband would never forgive me.I have built myself up with hopes so many times before and not succeeded.

Would love to hear how the consult goes-g'luck!

Penny

<p><p>Well I had the consultation yesterday and thought Dr Manuceau was really sound, and didn't try and sell it to me as a miracle solution, which I thought was good. Hi to Penny2 - I did the research about 2 years ago and then decided against it, at the time you couldn't have it done here and I thought the whole thing would be traumatic enough without having to travel back and forth to London or Belgium. However, I've been in constant pain with my lower back for the past six months, finding it difficult to even walk for any long period of time. So I've decided now is the time to go for it! You asked about the fills - they're done as part of the one year aftercare. When the band is fitted it is unfilled until you heal, usually about 4-5 weeks, and that provides enough restriction. Then it is filled with saline solution which tightens the band and reduces the entrace to the stomach so only smaller amounts of food can pass through. These adjustments need to be done a few times as you lose the weight and the fat content of the stomach wall decreases so that you retain that restriction on the amount you can eat. Hope that helps! Didn't think they did it anywhere else in the country apart from ACS in Dublin? I've checked out Dr Manuceau, and he has a good reputation. My sister-in-law works in James' hospital in Dublin and he regularly performs other gastric surgeries there. He is not a plastic surgeon, he is a gastric surgeon, so I think thats more reassuring than someone who does other 'cosmetic' type surgeries as well! Am gonna go for it, though not until October. I'm off on my hols for two weeks on the 30th August to Boston and New York so that will be my last hurrah, when I come back I'll do 3 weeks pre-op diet modification to help reduce liver prior to the op and hopefully get the band done mid-October. I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with making your decision about it!</p></p>

<p><p>Well I had the consultation yesterday and thought Dr Manuceau was really sound, and didn't try and sell it to me as a miracle solution, which I thought was good. Hi to Penny2 - I did the research about 2 years ago and then decided against it, at the time you couldn't have it done here and I thought the whole thing would be traumatic enough without having to travel back and forth to London or Belgium. However, I've been in constant pain with my lower back for the past six months, finding it difficult to even walk for any long period of time. So I've decided now is the time to go for it! You asked about the fills - they're done as part of the one year aftercare. When the band is fitted it is unfilled until you heal, usually about 4-5 weeks, and that provides enough restriction. Then it is filled with saline solution which tightens the band and reduces the entrace to the stomach so only smaller amounts of food can pass through. These adjustments need to be done a few times as you lose the weight and the fat content of the stomach wall decreases so that you retain that restriction on the amount you can eat. Hope that helps! Didn't think they did it anywhere else in the country apart from ACS in Dublin? I've checked out Dr Manuceau, and he has a good reputation. My sister-in-law works in James' hospital in Dublin and he regularly performs other gastric surgeries there. He is not a plastic surgeon, he is a gastric surgeon, so I think thats more reassuring than someone who does other 'cosmetic' type surgeries as well! Am gonna go for it, though not until October. I'm off on my hols for two weeks on the 30th August to Boston and New York so that will be my last hurrah, when I come back I'll do 3 weeks pre-op diet modification to help reduce liver prior to the op and hopefully get the band done mid-October. I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with making your decision about it!</p></p>

Thanks so much Debb,thats a great help and reassuring to hear he operates in James' too. glad to hear he was approachable.

No,the actual op has to be done in Dublin but the fills can be done here in Cork apparently.

Lucky you off to the US-only thing is you can't buy any clothes!!have to save for next year and make another spree out of it!!

I wonder if Loritha and Nikki are still contributing to this website?love to hear how things are at this stage with them.I wonder if its possible to talk to any of his patients who are a year or so on??

My back is bad too and I am starting arthritis agravated by the weight so its more that vanity with me too(tho I do love clothes)

I would love to keep in touch and see how it all goes with you-the start of a new chapter in our lives.have a ball in the USx

Hi Everyone.

I have a consultation with Dr Jerome Manuceau (Advanced Cosmetic Surgery) in Dublin on 8th of September. Ive done lots of reasearch in to the proceedure itself and I have a big list of questions prepared for my consultation !

I havent really been able to find a lot of info about Dr Manuceau - past patient reviews ect. so its been reassuring to finally find someone elso who is also a patient of his. Has your experience been positive ? How soon after your consultation date were you offered a date to have your surgery done ?

Im nervous and excited at the same time !! I currently weight 225lbs and have been over-weight my whole life but it also feels as though i have been dieting my whole life too ! Im getting married in 3years and I would love to feel confident, happy and look great on my big day and for the rest of my life ! I would love to keep in touch with you all and share experiences - Good and bad !

Good Luck to everyone x.x.x

3na.

Hi Everyone.

I have a consultation with Dr Jerome Manuceau (Advanced Cosmetic Surgery) in Dublin on 8th of September. Ive done lots of reasearch in to the proceedure itself and I have a big list of questions prepared for my consultation !

I havent really been able to find a lot of info about Dr Manuceau - past patient reviews ect. so its been reassuring to finally find someone elso who is also a patient of his. Has your experience been positive ? How soon after your consultation date were you offered a date to have your surgery done ?

Im nervous and excited at the same time !! I currently weight 225lbs and have been over-weight my whole life but it also feels as though i have been dieting my whole life too ! Im getting married in 3years and I would love to feel confident, happy and look great on my big day and for the rest of my life ! I would love to keep in touch with you all and share experiences - Good and bad !

Good Luck to everyone x.x.x

thats fantastic!dying to hear what you think of him-be sure to ask HOW MANY he has done and HOW LONG he is doing them. Also how experienced the nurses at ACS are at doing the fill?(I have been doing my research too!)I have decided to shelve the decision forthe moment as I have 3 weddings and a 2 week holiday in the next 5 weeks!! please come back tho and post how you got on.G'Luck hon!