Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post op. Can I eat peanuts?

Good question! I love crunchy peanut butter!

It is my understanding no nuts for the first at least 6 weeks. Only smooth Peanut Butter.< /p>

Hi! I would ask doc first but my guess is Peanut Butter is ok. Nuts maybe not yet. Could be hard to digest.

I was eating peanuts and sunflower seeds by the 5th week. Only a limited amount, say just enough for one bite. Or about 1 tablespoon of creamy Peanut Butter per day. At that time I was still only able to eat 3/4 of a can of Soup per day, so I couldn't hold much.

My stomach would grumble, but it would tolerate them.

Hi, my surgeon didn't say anything about NOT eating nuts, so I've been eating it. I eat raw almonds since it's suppose to be good for you than some other nuts.

I've been eating peanuts since about 4 weeks post op. I've had no issues with them at all. I did grab a handful of mixed nuts the other day (cashew, pecans, walnuts, etc, including some I didn't recognize) and it didn't sit well at all. It made me frothy for most of the afternoon. But peanuts, no issues.

Nuts and seeds are the last thing that my surgeon allows--at 4 months out. He allows veggie seeds at 6 weeks, but not pumpkin, sunflower, etc. These foods can get caught in the staple line if not chewed adequately, and he's pretty conservative (low complication rate as a result). He does allow Peanut Butter at around 4 weeks, though my RD doesn't really recommend it because it's primarily fat, not Protein. I use PB2 or JustGreatStuff, the powdered peanut butters. They taste really good in a Protein Shake or in Greek yogurt. You can get them online or at Vitamin Shoppe and some whole food type grocery stores (Whole Foods, Earth Fare, etc.). It has occurred to me what the difference is between chewing a whole nut thoroughly and eating a nut butter, but I am very rules-oriented...LOL.

btw technically peanuts are a legume, but I'm considering them a nut for the purposes of my surgeon's rules on when to advance to specific foods.