Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going out to eat?

Has anyone gone out to eat during their solid stage diet? What kinds of food do you eat when going out? Do you think its bad to cheat at least once a month on my diet? I was wondering this because i will soon be on solid stage and i think it's impossible not to eat something delicious at leaste once in a while, has anyone tried this is it bad?

i have gone out a couple of times since starting foods. I typically have been ordering salmon. A friend ordered some brownie dessert thing and I had a couple of small spoons. it was delicious! i think in the past i would have had the entire thing myself but i told myself - just a few bites and then i put the fork very very far away from me.

One thing you need to remember, this is not a diet. You will have to watch what you eat and make good decisions, but when you get good restriction, you will be satisfied with a bit or two of something you don't need. I don't have good restriction yet but have found to be fine with a couple of small bites of something. It is kind of weird to me, but I am fine with just a sample.

I love going to Sam's on the weekends. They have samples like crazy. It is great to taste things that I wouldn't order because they might not be good choices.

I completely agree with Jules. I got banded because I couldn't "diet" for the rest of my life.

I am 6 weeks out and doing well. I have had one fill but don't have good restriction. I have eaten out several times (twice this weekend alone) and I try to make the best choices. I have small children and I am completely satisfied eating a few of their fries, it doesn't make me want more. I had a spoonful of my daughters ice cream last nite, it was enough for me to taste and be happy with my decision not to have one.

I sometimes spit meals with my 7 year old. Other times I just bring home more than I've eaten. I do stay away from my "triggers", Pasta and bread. Eatingh those would make me want more.

I dont consider it cheating. I dont diet. I eat all foods in moderation. Its worked for me, carbs dont make me want more carbs, everyone is different I guess.

However I will say that now, close to goal, I'm going to have to get stricter to get the rest of the weight off. Sigh.

Stay away from the potatoes and the bread. Take very small bites and chew, chew, chew.

I eat out all the time, I use more caution and take my time, moreso than when I'm at home. Olive Garden is one of my favorites, I order the Soup with as much broth as they can do and less of the solids, plus salad.

(Sitting near the restroom is also helpful)

I go out all the time...I order Pasta dishes mostly....and sometimes cake...for me this isn't a diet it is about eating things in moderation...obviously I avoid high calorie things like chocolate...and snacking but when I sit down for a meal, at a restaurant, I eat the thing I want...that makes my mouth Water. I don't end up eating all of it...I usually share with my mom and my 3 year old son...but I still love the flavours of food...and I still want to experience these...so though i don't eat alot...I love to eat.

:eek:

flabuless - I couldn't agree more. Although Pasta is a "trigger" food for me so I stay away from it. Otherwise, I eat what I like and what I want. I eat much less of it. For me, moderation is the key.

I have found that I cannot go "out" to eat. I can get something "to go" and bring it home if I want. Everytime I have tried to eat out, I had problems. We think it is because I tend to be more distracted and try to eat normally rather than really concentrating on what I am doing. That is why if I order the same food and take it home, I am able to eat because there isn't the distractions and you aren't trying to talk and eat at the same time.

I really only go get a few things at fast food restraunts:

*MC D's and BK - I will get salads (grilled chicken) --I have also been known to get a 6 piece nugget if I am eating on the run( gotta be careful with eating on run too) MC D's also has fruit N walnut- which I can eat fine

*Taco Johns - I can eat taco salad but not all or a burrito if very careful and cut it with a knife and fork into small pieces--This is really more work that it is worth but sometime just get craving for taco's :eek:

*Otherwise, there is a family owned place in town where I will order salads, Soup or chili or sometimes a cheeseburger to take home. Yes, I said cheeseburger...but I take it home put the burger and all ingredients on a plate (NOT BUN) and eat it with knife and fork. I love it! I should have been eating cheeseburgers like that before!

That is about all I do for "eating out"

Dee

I can only speak for myself.

Hubby and I go out to eat way too often. We usually skip the fast food places though. We have "nights" that we go to certain places. For some reason Mexican food goes down easily. I make sure not to load up on the chips and salsa, sometimes I don't even eat any of it to save the room for my dinner. I have a tendency to start talking and end up getting stuff with it.

I do still (as a source of habit) look for the bathroom before I sit down. It's always a good thing to know especially since I have a 2 year old! :xena_banana:

Best of luck to ya!