Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no periods still-5 months post op

Hi..got sleeved nov 2012..was havin abnormal periods the night before my surgery all of a sudden but my doc carried out the surgery sayin the periods wont effect the surgery. Post-op i bled for 15 days n then it stopped. However since then, though i've been losing weight, my.periods haven't started yet...iam 5 months post op...is this normal? Anyone who haven't got their periods so many months after op? Plz reply..m worried sick....

I think its normal, My last one was 2 wks pre surg and then nothing and then today Im off to the races and its killer. It will come back, be prepared. Surg jan 30

Amenorrhea is not normal I was sleeved 5 months ago and I have always been very regular and haven't missed one.. I'd be worried if I did.. Check in with your gyno just to be safe..

I haven't had one in 4 months or so and I'm 8 months out...my OB said its normal but I should tell her if it goes on for another few months. I've been on the pill too. I may discontinue the pill for a little bit just to see if it normalizes.

I would at least mention it to your gynecologist. It is not okay for the body to keep building up the tissue month after month after month. The Doctor may suggest you force a bleed just to flush the build up out. They do that with medication(s). I went through this a year ago because my cycles have always been abnormal.

So friends i finally got my periods after a 6 month long wait after surgery!! M sooo relieved!!

So friends i finally got my periods after a 6 month long wait after surgery!! M sooo relieved!!

Awesome! How much weight have you lost and what is your BMI? This might put someone else's mind to rest who is in the same boat.

Thnx...i was 145 kgs pre op with a bmi of 52+... Now 6 months post-op iam at 42 bmi and at 111 kgs...total loss of 34 kgs so far...had a 6 week stall...kick started a Protein only diet and now the scales started moving finally...

It is fairly common. Our cycles are very touchy and the stress the body goes through and all the changes effects it and our hormones. Some people have it for 2 months straight... you heard me... HAVE IT FOR 2 MONTHS STRAIGHT. Can you even imagine! Our bodies are fickle things. I had mine about 2 weeks pre-surgery and didn't get it again till very recently, at 3 months post.

Definately keep monitoring it and it certainly would not hurt to bring it up to a doc, but it is pretty common to be abnormal after surgery.