Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped band

:help: Where to begin...well, I have had no restriction for a while now...my 4 cc band was filled way past so they did an upper GI scan and saw that I have a slipped band...they are going to do surgery in a week or so...anybody else that has been through this if you could please let me know...is this going to be like the first go around...what can I expect...etc etc...I can only guess that when I had thyroid surgery a while back and I got real bad reflux that this caused it...don't know

Cocakk:

The slipped band it's a complication because two possible reasons.

1.-You didn't follow the instructions of your diets.

2.-The surgeon didn't put the band correctly.

What you are going to expect? another surgery, dont worry because it's an easy surgery and i don't think you would have complications about it, my advise it's to follow your diet and instructions for your doctor or do research of the doctor that make you the surgery because maybe he didn't adjust the band correctly, hope this information help you, i work with a surgeon so feel free to ask me questions about procedures.

The slipped band it's a complication because two possible reasons.

1.-You didn't follow the instructions of your diets.

2.-The surgeon didn't put the band correctly.

Are you sure those are the only two possibilities? I'd love to see the documentation on this, because things like vomitting and coughing have also been cited - by surgeons - as causes. So have things like failure of the silicone's integrity, as in the case of a friend who was banded in 2001.

Well, patients shouldn't vomite, if they did it's because they didn't follow correctly the diet, coughing it's not a problem two because it's not a hard movement of your body, if the band wasn't put correctly then when you have coough you can slipped the band.

In an ideal world noone would vomit unfortunately we get sick from stomach virus or from other illness...not just because we didn't follow the diet. Additionally, the band can slip even if it was put in correctly it is one of the risks of having the band. Good surgeons have bands slip...good eaters have bands slip. Don't beat urself up just get it taken care of...you'll do just great

Your right about the vomiting, but that should not affect the band only if you vomit often, don't worry about the procedure, it's a simple one and i don't think you would have complications, even the best chef burns the soap so this thinks happens.

I'm not a doctor, i'm a lawyer, i work with surgeons and i know all about the lap band process, i'm here because this is a page that i recommend to our patients.

If you follow your diet instructions then the slippage was not your fault, the band it's desing to be in your stomach and take a lot of preassure, if the doctor put the correct preassure and the stitches that are necesary even if it is a lot of years the band don't slip, one thing that could happen is maybe that the band was not a god one, but it doesn't slip for natural causes unless you eat something in bad conditions and you vomit a lot.

You're a lawyer? :confused: Do you have a band then?

I'm not a doctor, i'm a lawyer, i work with surgeons and i know all about the lap band process, i'm here because this is a page that i recommend to our patients.

If you follow your diet instructions then the slippage was not your fault, the band it's desing to be in your stomach and take a lot of preassure, if the doctor put the correct preassure and the stitches that are necesary even if it is a lot of years the band don't slip, one thing that could happen is maybe that the band was not a god one, but it doesn't slip for natural causes unless you eat something in bad conditions and you vomit a lot.

I'm not banded, i'm administrator in the doctor office, i talk with the patients and after the surgery i recommend this page and advise to them that this is a good therapy and they would find people that are going trought the same problems, that here they would find a help support and friends, i'm not making publicity, i'm not here to win clients, i'm here because i recommend this place and i check around every once and a while.

Why play the blame game.

If you want to blame the patient for not following the rules them MAYBE the surgeon should have done a more thourogh job at assesing his patient and her suitability with the band.

you dont have a band and are going on theory!! thats such a cop out.

I'm really sorry if somebody feel like i'm attacking the persons, that was not my intention, i just say the reasons of a slipped band in general, i'm not blaming nobody, like i said, it's not a big deal, it's a simple procedure and the persons that are making this surgery shouldn't worry about it

Even if the patient didn't follow the rules is it any great suprise?

I don;t know what people expext to be honest those of us who have sufferd a lifetime of obesity have had a life time of not following the rules. Not sticking to diets not making the correct food choices. It astonishes me the amount of people who fool themselfs that if only they had the band fitted thats the anwer to all there probelsm.

Theory is so far removed from reality and those who think the band is a cure are sadly misten. If you have relly struggled before many many times to make the changes chances are you still wont make the changes after the bands in. Whats the point in fooling any one.

If a surgeon only fits band of course he's going to promote it there money makers and they generate more money in fixing complications.

I will never ever trust a surgeon again who only does the one procedure they get the patients threw the door and on the operating table like on a converyor belt. And shen things go wring its more money to fix or some one else fixes it because the origional surgeion has a 100% and he gets that by refusing to reconise his or any or his patients complications.

I have a question, how do you know if your band has slipped? If I have vomited 3 or 4 times since my first fill back in October and now one week before I am to get another fill, I don't feel a lot of restriction could my band have slipped?

It's rare to have a band slipped but there are some symptoms that can help you to know if you have that problem: Vomit, cramps, you don't feel restriction and you don't feel saciety anymore and most of the times you stop loosing weight as the only clue with no symptoms so i think you should be submmited to a barium swallow test under flouroscopy and that test will give you the diagnosis with no doubt and something good for you is that you don't need to take the band out, you can be operated by laparascopy abd you will have the band open and put it in the right position up in the stomach and close again the band.

You shouldn't worry about it.

I recently dealt with a slipped band. My symptoms were acid reflux for the first time in my life. I had to sleep sitting up and even then I was up all night with the reflux choking me. I couldn't eat or barely could drink. I ended up having my old band removed and a new one put in. My first surgeon had given me the smallest band that they make. That is why my band slipped I am being told. I am three weeks out of surgery and feeling wonderful. I realize now that I never felt right after having my first band put in. It was too restricting even when I didn't have any fill. I now feel wonderful and am looking forward to many years of sucess with my new band.