Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Shesha~NICE!! I hope the new fill Dr. takes good care of you. Break him in good...LOL

Dynamo~My chocolate pie eating son...he's the one. He is not venturing off though...he is attending CCA, I don't really see him being too far away from mom.

Don't be hard on yourself. Believe in yourself, I think you are doing a good job (this band is like a job right??). Listen to yourself, you are taking the right steps, you are working out, doing therapy and finding other interests outside of our friend (food). Our brains will catch up with our motions.

This is where I have been the last 2-3 days. I feel hungry, I try to eat, no problems with anything going down, not getting stuck...I just take a few bites and I lose interest. I still feel hungry, but I just don't want to eat??? What is that about??? I am wondering if I am coming down with something...I feel okay, I think. But then after I stop eating, I know I should eat more because I feel weak and shaky and sometimes a cold sweat??? WEIRD....any thoughts??? I am taking my Vitamins, my Calcium and I drink my two Protein Shakes a day...it's just the food? ??

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive hotel to stay at near Dr.Kirshenbaum's facilities? Did you all just take taxis everywhere or did you rent a car?

My husband and I talked it over and we have decided to go with him. Initially I really wanted to go close to home here near Seattle but at 17K no matter how I looked at our finances we couldn't do it. I don't want to go to Mexico. I know many have gone but my gut doesn't feel right about going to Mexico. I'd rather stay in the states and Dr. K's price is great, plus from what I've read, he seems to be highly regarded. So more credit card debt it is for now. But it's for my health and I am borderline diabetic and don't want to get diabetes. So I'm calling tomorrow and hopefully I can get in soon. Wish me luck on my lapband journey. :confused:

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive hotel to stay at near Dr.Kirshenbaum's facilities? Did you all just take taxis everywhere or did you rent a car?

Dr. K does surgery at two locations. One of them is Crown Point in Parker CO and the other location is across the street from his office in Aurora (this is where my surgery will be next month). His office will recommend a few hotels closest to the surgical center that will be used for your surgery. You can ask for a medical rate and save a few bucks. You will probably want to book one with a fridge and microwave for your post op liquids. We will be renting a car for convenience reasons and my husband hates to be without a set of wheels :) LOL. I know that the Parker facility is a little bit farther out. I read someone on this thread had shuttle service to the hotel out there, but they stop at quite a few hotels and that may not be too comfortable on your trip back to the airport. Also, you will be meeting him the afternoon prior to your surgery at his office in Aurora, so we felt that having the car to get around was a good idea.

Congratulations Chilipepper.... You made a good decision in going to Dr K... Please keep us posted and Good Luck on your journey...

If you get an October surgery date, hop on over to Monthly Support Groups and join us at the TENacious TENS...

ok, random question...

how do you get the ticker factory on your signature?? it's driving me crazy..and I will update my consult with Dr. K and Paula

thanks!

for ticker:

You go to the Ticker factory website and select a ticker, follow the directions to the end, you will generate a code that you can see which will say something like "post to website". You can either click on the code and it will COPY automatically or click and drag to highlight and then copy or CTRL + C. Go into your profile here on Lap Band Talk, you get there by clicking into "USERCP" (user control panel) find your SIGNATURE and then open it up. In the window, PASTE your ticker and SAVE CHANGES.

..............................................................................................

Oh friends what a weekend.!!!!!!!!

You all know I am working a recovery 12 step for Overeaters Anonymous. YES. I'm also a member of Compulsive Overeaters who also have emotional issues they are dealing with such as depression, anger, bipolar disorder, manic depression, self harm concerns, along with their compulsive overeating. All of our websites that we post to are private but the last one I spoke of is moreso because of the sensative nature of the subjects.

The short version of my story is that I was at my mother's, used her computer and according to her I "left" my email open so and she read all of my responses, posts that had come to my inbox.

I posted a very private quiery for COE (compulsive overeaters) EI

with (Emotional Issues) to help me deal with my sister's visit this weekend. I feared a binge. I feared backsliding emotionally because of all the baggage I have from my family. My mother not only read my very private post she shared it with my sister who I indicated I had emotional problems with (verbal abuse, emotional abuse) My sister spoke to me last night and screamed over the phone at me telling me everything I said was "bullshit" and she was pissed as hell that I "talked like that about me" and on and on and on and on.

There was no explaining to her. I tried. I told her I was in recovery and that my emotions were what they were, I felt that way, and they were raw. She didn't hear any of that. It was loud, abrasive and I ended up telling her I needed to protect myself at all costs at this time in my life and CUT HER OFF.

I hung up.

Moreso was I angry at my mother who showed her my emails.

(( Why would someone deliberately want to make another person

feel hurt? ))

Right now, the voice in my head has directed me to stay away from them at this time in my life.

I hurt.

This is very hard. I feel so betrayed and alone.

:):grouphug::) Lap_dancer.... you did nothing wrong. I'm sorry you feel so betrayed. I would too. Your feelings are yours and they exist for a reason. It's not like you just decided to feel this way, they are a direct result of what has happened in the past.

If you feel it is best to distance yourself from them, at least for the short term, then I would. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system right at home and everyone else that isn't helping you, needs to get out of the way! We are here to support you too!

Lap~That is just awful. The feeling of being violated is such a deep pain and for it to come from people dear to us, even more so. I wish there were words I could tell you to ease your pain...lots of hugs and always a shoulder and an ear...

I am so proud of you "I need to protect myself at all costs," strong statement and very true. Stay strong, these are the times that build our strength. Be good to yourself, it was their "bad" (your mom and sister), not yours...they are the ones that should be feeling the guilt for the invasion of your private conversations...

Thinking about you, you are not alone

nicnaknut~I love that name..Tenacious Tens!!

Chilipepper~Welcome and congrats on your decision

Happy Monday to all!!

Lap Dancer

I can really feel for you. I’ve been in therapy for years , dealing with the issue of abuse. 6 years ago I divorced my abusive husband after 37 years of marriage. My grown kids are still emotionally abusive with me (that is how they were raised).

Some of the important things I have learned about abuse is that your mother had no right to read your email (abusers do that sort of thing). And your sister is a brutal abuser , screaming like that to over the phone. They both gang up on you.

This will be difficult but you must never explain to them or apologize to them for emotionally abusing you. Cut them off is the answer or learn how to not get pulled into their games. But don’t feel guilty for doing it. Their actions are intended to hurt you and show no respect for you.

I use to wonder why my husband who is suppose to love me acts like he hates me. I just never could get that one figured out.

Follow the voice in your head. That voice told me for 37 years that I had to leave my ex.

Do you keep a journal? That may help a lot, just make sure your mother doesn't get a hold of it.

Lap - I had similar issues with my mother. Who felt she owned me and ran my life, was completely intrusive, told me what to do, etc. For most of my life I have smiled through this trying to be the good daughter. I moved out to Denver. She moved. I have had to totally reframe our relationship. I have to be very careful with my own boundaries. I found I was setting myself up. It wouldn't be considered this if we had a normal relationship, but I did this over and over. So through therapy i am changing our relationship. It hasn't been easy. When I was banded I didn't have her come be at the hospital, she was livid. I told her I would have to move away if she continued to not respect my boundaries. She still asks questions, like when are you getting that stuff put in? and I have to remind her to butt out. It has been a several year process. I wish you lots of love and luck. Your weight issues are a focal point of her life and she feels like she owns them and you. I felt bereft when the family, under my orders, are no longer allowed to ask or talk about my weight, progress or no progress. I was so surprised about the feeling of loss not being discussed like that, but then their comments went to other things I was doing like painting in a positive way. I realize they don't even know me. But this way I can figure out what parts are mine and work with them. I wish you lots of love and luck in sorting this out. Your mother had no right to snoop, less right to pass on your feelings, but look gently at yourself too. How could you have prevented this and protected yourself? We only can control and/or fix ourselves and even that is a full time job. Big, big hugs. Don't let them abuse you.

NM Sunshine - PB is productive burp. For me it is like when food goes down the wrong pipe and comes up again. It isn't wretching like when you are sick. The food isn't in stomach acid or anything. In the beginning I stopped eating right away. Which is the right reaction to PB'ing, now I continue to eat, modifying my bites, etc. to get that food inside. I am really angry at myself, but this is part of the disease for me. A part I will have to let go to heal.

Hugs all of you out there -

Michelle

Dearwanttobemeagain, My husband is having surgery on 9/11 with Dr K. I am a lap band pt that was done locally for $18K+ I have done very well.We are looking forward to this. I have lost 85 lbs. since Nov 2006. We live in Kentucky. With travel costs etc. it is a much cheaper alternative and I think Dr. K is setting a trend and it won't be long and other MD's will jump on the "band" wagon. Ha! Stephanie Z

Hello Friends!

First of all, you all are amazing. What strong people as a collective and individually. It's my rise to know you all.

I read all of the posts since my comment this afternoon. First, I want to tell you that I'm still gaurding from a binge right now. I'm not even allowing myself the exposure to anything that may have a trigger in it.

I found a lovely Greek Cafe that just open that has amazing salads and herbs. I feel the need for gentle on my system so these next few days I'm sticking with salads from this cafe which isn't far from my job. This is my gift each day to myself, nutritious, gentle meals.

Sunshine said: your mother had no right to read your email (abusers do that sort of thing). And your sister is a brutal abuser , screaming like that to over the phone. They both gang up on you.

Do you know my family??? They have been ganging up on me since as long as I can remember.

I felt bereft when the family, under my orders, are no longer allowed to ask or talk about my weight, progress or no progress. I was so surprised about the feeling of loss not being discussed like that, but then their comments went to other things I was doing like painting in a positive way. I realize they don't even know me.

This made me cry. I guess it hit me in ways I didn't know were tender.

I have an appt. at 3 with my therapist tommorow. I'm going to write down what happened so if I get emotional I can atleast get through what happened.

I'm thinking that maybe the thing to do is to keep the subject of anything related to my weight, my surgery, my therapy, off limits, tabu to them. But I have to speak to them and right now I am not speaking to them. I need a wall up and some time away.

My friends I want to thank you for the support. Thank you for listening, for understanding, for sharing of your own selves. This is incredibly strengthening. Thank you so very much for that.

I will be in Denver Oct. 10, 11, 12 and home on the 13th. We'll see eachother!

Okay, I need to cocoon right now. Going to hot shower, no food, bed, blankets and books or movies.

Peace and hugs to you all.

Patty