Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi Ladies,

Well, Ijust returned from my dentist and have alot of work that has to be done. I have to go to an oral surgeon and have like three teeth worked on, I am looking at thousands of dollars...so now I am wondering if Dr. K will give me my money back? I am totally devistated, totally balling as I type this! This really sucks! I have been looking foward to having the LB done, I have come to the realization that this is what I need, I have faced the nerves and made a commitment to it. I made it all this way and now it might not happen?? It was hard for me to justify the 10 thousand for the surgery, there is no way I can justify the LB and my oral surgery?? And even if I can, I am supposed to have surgery May 18th, I have like eight days to get this infection out of me and then head back to surgery??? Is that even possible? Plus the time off work..I NEVER take time off and this would mean more time off...I don't know what to do??? Even if Dr. K doesn't give me my money back and he makes me reschedule, I wont be as prepared as I am now, I will be sooo bummed. i probably don't make sense, but I thought you ladies and gents would understand more than anyone else. It;s like deciding between a neccesary surgery and a not so neccesary one. I just can't believe this is happening! Please send some advice or ???

Oh Mal. When it rains it pours. For you I suggest calling Marilyn. Asking her what you should do because the infection in your mouth WILL effect your surgery. I would not back out of the surgery. I know you can't afford it but you can't afford not to. That's just me thinking how much I value my weight loss and how my joints are starting to not hurt and I'm feeling so much better.

Thanks DrewsLou!

I have calmed down a little bit. My wonderful hubby came home saw me balling like a baby and explained to me that it doesn't matter. I don't have to choose between the two, I can do both. I kind of freaked out without even talking to the oral surgeon, my insurance just might cover it?? and maybe I can still have my LB done if I get the oral done ASAP, I will call them in the morning. Hubby says worst case senerio, I might just have to change my surgery date to next month or ?? I called Dr. K's office and left a message. I apologize for the freak out, I may have jumped the gun...well see...

Thanks again for being here for me!

Thank you LapDancer, I called and left a message with Marilyn (while I was balling my eyes out), I am sure she will call tomorrow morning. I am going to try to be positive. I'll wait and see what the oral surgeon says and what Dr. K says, then deal with whatever I have to deal with. I told you all before how much of a tight wad i am (especially when it comes to spending on myself), my wonderful hubby reminded me that we can afford it, not to feel guilty about spending the $$ because both reasons are medically neccesary and that this is why we have saved our money. I thank everyone for being here when I thought my world was crushing down on me, I might still need a shoulder (or two) after tomorrow!

Mal, I agree w/Drew! Call...they are so understanding there! that's why we all love them!!

Ok...so I'm up to 3.5ccs in my 4cc band....EEKS! BUT...I am QUITE TIGHT now! It has taken me almost an hr to eat my tuna fish for lunch today!! I'm not complaining!! :)

Now I just need to see that scale move. I THINK I'm about 2 pounds away from my 50 pound mark, but I worked out yesterday so the scale was messing w/me this AM :)

I'll report back when I can say 50 POUNDS GONE FOREVER!

DREWS LOU....Saw the pic from the meeting...LOOKIN HOT GIRL!!! :)

Kirsten.... when are you coming out to visit your sis again? We have to get together... I bet you are looking pretty amazing yourself! I want to see pics!

That goes for all you Dr K bandsters.... pics please!!! :clap2:

Drews...I have no idea when I'll be coming out again, probably not til late summer/Fall....but I'll definitely let you know!

I'll email you some before/during pics I took a few weeks ago...cause I don't know how to post them here.

Mal,

What an awesome husband you have! He said the perfect thing at just the right time! Give that man some good love :biggrin1: ~ Now, I can definitely sympathize with you, I know all of us can! I would have freaked out even worse then you did. :) I was very put off by spending the money on myself for the band but then thought what the heck! It is only money~ and I don’t have any regrets. My health and self esteem are most important and so is yours!:hippie: Let us know if/when you reschedule. Can you do your teeth after the band or do they hurt to bad to wait? :sick

Anita, Drew, and Michelle,

What beautiful ladies you are! I would also be willing to meet for a glass of tea… doesn’t have to be at the meeting. We can start our own support group! :) I am glad I didnt race up there late, and make the drive!

Hi everyone,

I just got banded one week ago and am starting to feel better. Since I started the pre-op diet and since the surgory I am down 17 lbs......it is so exciting. I am ready to exercise and to lose, lose, lose! Dr. K was great. Everything went smoothly. I had the surgery on Thursday and was back to work on work on Monday. Now slowing down and trying to remember to take care of myself.

It is so inspriring to here everyone's feedback. Hang in there everyone the rewards will be great.

Take care,

Spa-chic;)

Hi everyone,

I just got banded one week ago and am starting to feel better. Since I started the pre-op diet and since the surgory I am down 17 lbs......it is so exciting. I am ready to exercise and to lose, lose, lose! Dr. K was great. Everything went smoothly. I had the surgery on Thursday and was back to work on work on Monday. Now slowing down and trying to remember to take care of myself.

It is so inspriring to here everyone's feedback. Hang in there everyone the rewards will be great.

Take care,

Spa-chic;)

Angie38~Thanks soooo much for the support. I wish I could wait until after my LB to get my teeth worked on, I guess that is up to Dr. K (if he will do the surgery while I have an infection?), I called and talked to Marylin. She said to just let them know what happens with my oral surgery appointment tomorrow. She tihinks that I will have to post pone, but the thing is, Dr/ K is leaving in June, so...I am going to try everything I can to get both surgeries done??!! I will let you know what happens. I just bust out crying everytime I think about what is happenng. I have wanted to do this surgery for soooo long, it took me forever to make that initial call and then once the ball started to roll, I truly became commited, I got over the money thing, accepted the life change thing and was read to do it, I just want to be able to follow through. Marylin said that Dr. K would give me my money back if I wanted. I just know that if I don't make the May 18th and have to wait until Dr. K returns and then start all over...well, I have a feeling that I will lose my nerve gain. this is just soooo annoying for me! My husband and boys are very supportive so I'm sure they will not let me just drop it, they will help follow through. My husband said the timing might be a little off, but it doesn't matter. He is truly a wonderful guy he would do anything for me.

Thanks again ladies! off to take pain meds and antibiotics and of course cry!

Spa Chic~Congrats! Looks like you are doing GREAT!

Well ladies, I am getting ready to head ot to the oral surgeon. I don't really have much pain or swelling today. Honestly I don't think he will do anything. My thoughts are that I had an infection and the antibiotics are taking care of it?? I spke with the O surgeons office and as usual I may have over reacted, the cost is nowhere near what I expected...like $500.00 compared to the thousands I thought?? But this is just the begining, I think my dentist said there is more work to be done after the surgeon does his part? My dentist is sooo amazing, I was sooo upset when he told me the news, I was balling like a baby, I over heard him talking to the assistant and said that he had my bill covered for that visit. I was such a wreck. I guess my next step is to call Dr. K's office on Monday and let them know what happens today, I have my pre-op appointment with Dr. K on Tuesday and then HOPEFULLY banded on Friday?? Wish me luck! Maybe after all this I was just having "sympathy symptoms" for Anita because she was having a root canal (I wish). I'll let ya' know what happens!

Have a great day! It is beautiful in Colorado today!