Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Yoga class today was actually Hot Yoga - fun!

I did not actually realize this until checking their schedule when I got home. I really only intended to stop by and find out information, perhaps watch a bit. however, the instructor convinced me to actually do the class instead of just watch it.

Kind of a surprised actually because, to me, it was not that hot. Their website said their temperatures are between 80-85 F. It was an hour of some really hard yoga. I am glad the instructor explained everything along the way and I could watch him as I turned my self into a pretzel. I literally was a newbie so struggled a bit, especially as my upper body fatigued. Lots and lots of sweating, dripping in fact. Overall it was fun and I feel balanced / relaxed, but it was not really geared for beginners in that we did about 100 poses, some which were pretty hard. I was shaking pretty bad near the end and lost strength to implement proper positions. Had to modify a bit in order to stay in the game without having to stop. Does anyone know how long it takes to get relatively good at Yoga?

I plan on attending probably 2-3 x a week, but am wondering if 1x a week would still help reap the benefits of toning, strengthening and relaxation? Reason is there is not time to do much more then that. Already doing cross fit and run out of energy if I attempt cross fit and yoga back to back same day ( like today). So 1 day yoga, 3 days running and 3 days of cross fit is how a typical week will probably shake out. What do other folks do with regards to Yoga and other fitness activities.

I used to do a class that incorporated yoga into the warm up / cool down. It was a MMA fit class. I really loved the yoga aspect to it. Especially because I am overly flexible for a fat guy. lol

I'm sure the same thing that my trainer told me would apply to this.. It is recommended that you do 2 a week to start and then progress to 3 days as you are less sore between sessions. When I first started my arms where so sore I would walk around the house looking like a T-Rex because I just couldn't straiten them haha.

Keep it up though. It is awesome. for the past 3 years now I have trained MMA (I take classes in Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Boxing, wrestling and Kick Boxing) Right now I am on a medical leave due to just having the surgery, but I can't wait to get back in 5 weeks (or so) My school also offers full on Hot Yoga, so I might do that for a while to get conditioned before I move back into the combat sports.

You're a machine Fiddleman. I don't know how you fit it all in!

Lots of good looking girls do yoga.

Maybe I'll have to have another look at my schedule ...............

I used to do a class that incorporated yoga into the warm up / cool down. It was a MMA fit class. I really loved the yoga aspect to it. Especially because I am overly flexible for a fat guy. lol

I'm sure the same thing that my trainer told me would apply to this.. It is recommended that you do 2 a week to start and then progress to 3 days as you are less sore between sessions. When I first started my arms where so sore I would walk around the house looking like a T-Rex because I just couldn't straiten them haha.

Keep it up though. It is awesome. for the past 3 years now I have trained MMA (I take classes in Brazilian Jui Jitsu' date=' Boxing, wrestling and Kick Boxing) Right now I am on a medical leave due to just having the surgery, but I can't wait to get back in 5 weeks (or so) My school also offers full on Hot Yoga, so I might do that for a while to get conditioned before I move back into the combat sports.[/quote']

Loved the visual on the T. rex because that is how I am also. I hope this yoga will help reduce tightness and introduce flexibility and mobility. I already know it is going to help with strengthening the core and helping with balance. Would you (or anyone else) recommend trying out a few places to determine a good fit? I did this with cross fit and actually found one I like more that is closer and has more direct critique from a rotating trainer / instructor that is one- on-one instead of class style. I feel if I have one that is closer to where i live I am less likely to bail for non legit reasons.

You're a machine Fiddleman. I don't know how you fit it all in!

Lots of good looking girls do yoga.

Maybe I'll have to have another look at my schedule ...............

It is a fun alternative to cross fit and running. Just as hard as a cross fit session if you lack the core strength and / or flexibility that is required to do yoga well, like me. That I definitively found out!! And yes, I was the only guy in a room full of good looking girls. It was hard to stop from staring. Lol. Just kept my eyes to myself and focused on doing yoga as well as I could. Breathing very deliberately and having fun being Gumby. :)

I'd try as many different schools as you could before committing to one. I spent a year trying to find a new BJJ school before I settled on one after we moved. I wound up just deciding to make the 45 min. drive to my old school because it's the only one I really liked. Sadly so many instructors in MMA just view you as a $$$ and do not care about your improvement. I don't know that yoga is the same.

I'm on my 3rd year of hot yoga. Mostly Bikram which is the same 26 postures each class and the hottest at 105 degrees. Obviously the surgery has changed everything - my yoga practice was the main reason I did it! Some days you will be better at it than others - no matter how long you do it!

I felt really "good at it" after about a year. I think once a week is okay. 2 would be better but sounds like you have a well rounded routine! I'm impressed. Keep going! My instructor says that we have a choice over how mobile we want to be as we age!

I blog about it often at fatgirldivesin.blogspot.com if you want to follow along. Best of luck with your practice!

Tried yin today. Felt like a 90 minute Swedish massage. So nice. I went to this very nice facility in Woodinville, WA called Balance Yoga. Very professional and clean facility with many amenities. Do check it out if you live in the area (I am about 35 min North of there). Highly rated through my Corporate Passport Benefits as well. I think I will try Hatha next. I bought a 30 days for 30 dollars unlimited use. I will probably go 2x a week over the next month to explore all the different yoga types. Can really feel Yoga working my ABS now. They are sore, but I guess that is a good thing for when the shirt comes off this Summer. lol. Will be so much fun and oh so relaxing...

I usually do not follow up an hour of cross fit with an hour of yoga because of being tired and not enough time to drive from one to the other.

On my cross fit days, I have been thinking about doing Yin after cross fit as a way to really deeply stretch out those muscles killed during cross fit. It is a little later in the evening so I can take my time getting there.

On my running days (alternate days), I run in the morning and am thinking about attending Yoga in the evening. On these days I am thinking about Power Vanyase or Hatha. Something that is still fairly active.

I like a combination of funning, cross fit and yoga because it will allow for a general development of fitness and athleticism rather then bulking up. Bulking up to be super strong is not really my goal, but I would like to have a good athletic physique, be in the BMI range of healthy and not be self conscious about how I look in the Water, on the beach, etc in the summer. Right now, I am in the BMI range of healthy, but not really in the physical shape yet that is my goal.

So, going back to a plan, typical weekly schedule would roughly be:

M: Run (9am - 5k timed), Hatha (6 pm)

T: cross fit (4 pm), yin (7:30p)

W: Run (9am - 30 min HIIT), Power Vinyase (6 pm)

Th: cross fit (4 pm), Yin (7:30p)

F: Run (9am - 10 k timed), Hatha (6 pm)

Sat: Run (train for 1/2) / Hike

Sun: recover

I also like to do a mile run when I get up in the morning and some light weights. It helps me wake up and get ready for the day.

Finally , I am one of the tightest, immobile and inflexible people according to my cross fit coach so we are working on special mobility exercises. Tightness in my upper body comes from my job as software developer ( long hours on computer) for decades. Tightness is my lower body (hamstrings and hip flexors) comes from recent running. I am really hoping by doing all the Yoga that I can become gumby man and also get off my inflammation meds for the back.

I will also start treating myself to longer hot showers and pro messages to help the tension in the back, shoulder and neck region. I recently bought a foam roller from last week to help with tightness in legs. Not very much, but I didn't place a high enough priority on it.

What do you think?

Fiddleman do you foam roll?

Fiddleman do you foam roll?

Just bought one and going to start using it, as soon as I determine how.

My favorite exercises were always Cross Fit, hot yoga, and spinning. I found that following spin with yoga was excellent. A place near me offers Pi-Yo-Spin, which is a mixed class of getting on and off bikes integrating yoga and Pilates. Check it out if you get a chance!

Oh, and the foam roll is awesome. It's amazing how much you'll pop and crack, like some crazy cereal!

Oh' date=' and the foam roll is awesome. It's amazing how much you'll pop and crack, like some crazy cereal![/quote']

What is the bet way to use the foam roller? Thanks!

Update: found this link

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/foam-rolling-runners

I think this link tells all! Anyone have more to add?

There is a bit of technique to it. It'd be great for your IT bands with all the running you do. I have a hip issue when my IT bands get too tight from dancing. When you mentioned your hip/ hammi tightness it reminded me of the foam roller.

There isn't any really effective way to stretch IT bands so this keeps me going!

You could YouTube some videos.