Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Self Proclaimed Food Addicts?

My sleeve is scheduled for April 11th with Dr. Alejandro Lopez at Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana. I am TERRIFIED for a number of reasons. Besides the obvious (going under the knife), I am afraid of failure, i.e., not reaching my goal weight because of my addiction to food. I chose the sleeve after reading that removing the large portion of the stomach also removes the hormones that cause hunger, but I've heard conflicting stories. Should I expect my cravings to diminish or at least decrease? Also, I'll be traveling to Tijuana alone (my traveling companion will arrive the day after my surgery). Has anyone else been alone during the surgery? If so, did you feel safe? I've only told my two closest friends of my plans to have this surgery in Mexico for fear that others, including my immediate family, would try to talk me out of it. So not only will I be alone in Mexico for the first two days, very few people will know I'm there! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the surgery alone will not remove the urge to eat nor will it completely remove all your cravings. The two are actually different things. Cravings aren't really hunger, but are brought on by emotions, stress and habits. Hunger is caused by the hormone grehlin that is secreted into the stomach. WLS will take away a lot, but not all feelings of hunger and ultimately they will return. The degree differs from person to person and you will still know when it is time to eat. You will still have the cravings if that is not addressed and properly dealt with. I would suggest a couple of things. First, you should discuss your "food addiction" with someone who is a professional in diagnosing and treating these types of disorders. Work with them to come up with a reason for your cravings and how best to address them. Second, find yourself a nutritionist that can help you build a plan for your recovery and ongoing success. Relying on the sleeve alone is really setting yourself up for failure, as it is not a magic pathway to immediate weight loss. It will restrict the amount of food you can intake, but there are lots of ways to eat around the sleeve. By addressing both the physical and psychological aspects of your obesity, you will have a better chance at making it to your goal. Good luck with your journey.

I went to Tijuana alone on March 8. Only a handful of people knew I went. I felt completely safe the entire time. Even went shopping the day before surgery. Don't worry about safety unless you plan to go out at night to questionable places. When you arrive you will certainly be met by a driver that will take you where you need to go. There will most likely be others going to the same place as you and you will find that there is a big support system just being with the others in your group. The day of your surgery you will also be among kindred spirits at the hospital. Everyone is in the same boat as you are and you'll find a lot of support just being with them. If you are flying in to San Diego - the airport personnel are very familiar with WLS travelers and they can direct you where you need to be. Don't worry too much. Just wait to be picked up then stay with your group. It's like instant friendship from the minute you arrive. You'll do great!

I'm still a food addict. I still fear not losing weight and regain.

There are a few things that are helping me, though, besides the smaller stomach.

I never ate crappy fast food like McDonald's, Burger King, or similar, so I am never tempted by that. Ice cream and Diet Coke and beer were harder to get over.

Since surgery I have lost the vast majority of my interest in sugar and fried foods, so that is a huge help. I also enjoy vegetables more than I ever did before, without even trying to.

Fear of the unknown is scary. Not many things in life have a stamp that guarantees something. This is the same. But each day is a new opportunity to work on yourself. Some days are much easier than others.

I absolutely love good food. Good tasting food makes my whole day..which is usually restaurant food. Big sucker for anything Asian so I'm very worried. I'm hoping my bf will support healthier eating habits..

am afraid of failure

dawndenise

i was also afraid of failure - and many other people had this valid feeling

you/me/we have all yo yo'd all our lives - loosing then regaining + :angry:

so here goes one more attempt at loosing weight!!!

why will this be different and you will reach goal and stay there???

for me, having MAJOR SURGERY was a big reason/help to initially say - "wait a minute, major surgery, i have to work really hard with my eating and not just blow it off" - something like that, i hope i said that right??

having 85% of our stomachs cut out - thats pretty drastic!!!!

since your tummy is soooo small you can only eat X amount at a time

you "only" eat your initial meals (some people are allowed a snack per their NUT) - but add up all the food you eat, drink for the day, and they must only = X amount of calories

when/if you were to eat when you are not supposed to- eating all day long (this is called grazing)

thats when you are cheating yourself and "trying" to cheat your sleeve -and you will gain weight!!!! you are always eating, high caloric food, junk, all those bad things we loved

don't do it

exercise is also very important, helpful

people are gradually coming out of the woodwork to admit they didn't/don't exercise much (me too i'm afraid)

but, "do as i say, not as i do" exercise is beneficial - who knows you might like it??? stranger things have been known to happen!!!! :)

"eventually"/later you will be able to eat "small" pieces/bites of ie pizza - but control, control

eating that small amount you can't help but lose weight!!!!

you will measure your small amounts, chew your food to bits, put your utensil down between bites - take a breath - eating slowly is a MUST, chewing slowly is almost a must

drinking your Water properly is also a MUST

following all the proper "rules" regarding the WLS dealing with food - you WILL be successful - how could you not???? really!!!!

I can't stress enough the importance of eating and drinking properly - waiting between meal with your proper drinking

having the sleeve is not MAGIC

you won't have the procedure on friday night as a "heavy" person and wake up monday being thin :angry:

loosing the weight - everything takes time - you must be patient

you will have periods where you will stall - you will have to deal with them and "try" not to get "too" upset :angry:

this too will pass

never compare yourself to other peoples weight loss, time period, amount you loose

we all say the one thing we all have in common is that we're different

go in with the positive attitude that you will SURVIVE and succeed :) you can and will do great, just stick to everything properly

and btw - "this" (losing, maintaing your weight) is not over when you reach goal - you know that right?!

you must continue to work hard

you will be eating and drinking like this for the rest of your healthier, happier and longer life :)

since you are going to Mexico, i hope you can still find some local help/support where

explaining your different food stages

Clear liquids, full liquids, mush puree', soft food, solids

what you don't know ask here - maybe go to a support group

even though you couldn't go to a local dr - your PCP might still advise you where to go -- ask a hospital - they have groups, and they should be nice and help you

as far as having the surgery in mexico - i can't address that from personal experience - sounds like MOST/MANY people don't have problems

i kindof said more than you asked - oh well, hope some extra helped :)

take care

good luck

speedy recovery :)

I absolutely love good food. Good tasting food makes my whole day..which is usually restaurant food. Big sucker for anything Asian so I'm very worried. I'm hoping my bf will support healthier eating habits..

I think (hope) you will quickly learn the difference between "good food" (restaurant food - tastes good now) and REAL good food (which fuels your body and gives you energy and a sense of satisfaction, health and vitality).

I am 10+ months post-op and still occasionally give in to cravings of my former life such as chicken wings, potato chips, or something fried. But it is always just a bite or two at the most (I steal from people's plates!). Then shortly thereafter I feel the after-effects (stomach upset, digestive tract disruption, lethargy, Water retention, etc.). Those feelings are always enough to dissuade me from going down that route again for a long time!

With such a small stomach, your priority MUST be to properly fuel your body. Protein first, then veg, and lastly carb if there's room (probably not!). You will get into that rhythm early on and most likely will have months to make it a "habit for life" (depending on how much weight you have to lose). The more you have to lose, the longer it will take and the better your new habits will stick.

As to hunger, yes, it will return but I find for me it is very rarely cravings. It is actual hunger, letting me know that my body needs nutrients. I have been exercising more in the last few months (I just started training for a 1/2 marathon walk to take place on my 44th birthday in October!), so it's no surprise that I am needing more fuel.

If you use a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator (such as http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/), you can see how many calories you are burning now (at your current weight), vs how many calories you will burn at your projected ideal weight (do 2 calculations and subtract). These are calories AT REST, any exercise (more than sitting in a chair all day) will be in addition to this.

This tells you your calorie deficit compared to how much you can eat once you hit your goal. As you can see, the deficit shrinks the smaller you get (therefore your weight loss slows down, or you must exercise more to maintain the deficit). Chances are good though that you will still have a larger BMR than what you are currently eating, and possibly what you will end up eating! Our stomachs are very small, so once you get to goal, you may have to supplement your calorie intake to keep it above your BMR for your goal weight, or you will continue to lose weight.

Example:

Current weight: 250 lbs (male, 6' tall, 35 yrs old) - BMR = 2300 calories

Goal weight : 180 lbs ((male, 6' tall, 35 yrs old) - BMR = 1864 calories

Deficit= 436 calories (daily)

Expected weight loss = 0.88 lb/week (if you're eating 1864 calories per day)

BUT, you are probably going to eat 800-1000 calories per day (I eat approx. 1000 calories/day now at 10+ months post-op)

Deficit = 2300 calories - 800 calories = 1500 calories (daily)

Expected weight loss = 3.0 lb/week (if you're eating 800 calories per day)

*Note the deficit grows smaller as you lose weight, so the expected weight loss will get smaller too!

The real challenge is to make sure the calories you are eating are healthy, good clean fuel for the body and not junk.

After months of eating smaller calories such as 500-600 immeidately post-op, moving up to 1000+ calories 6-12 months post-op, you will increase your intake naturally. It will VERY likely be significantly less than what you eat pre-op, and possibly still less than your BMR at your goal weight. As you increase, it will feel like you are eating A LOT, but believe me, it is still far less than what you ate to get to the point where you needed surgery. Especially if you focus on healthy high Protein, high quality food.

Thank you for this guidance. I actually have a meeting with a nutritionist scheduled for later this week.

I think (hope) you will quickly learn the difference between "good food" (restaurant food - tastes good now) and REAL good food (which fuels your body and gives you energy and a sense of satisfaction, health and vitality).

I am 10+ months post-op and still occasionally give in to cravings of my former life such as chicken wings, potato chips, or something fried. But it is always just a bite or two at the most (I steal from people's plates!). Then shortly thereafter I feel the after-effects (stomach upset, digestive tract disruption, lethargy, Water retention, etc.). Those feelings are always enough to dissuade me from going down that route again for a long time!

With such a small stomach, your priority MUST be to properly fuel your body. Protein first, then veg, and lastly carb if there's room (probably not!). You will get into that rhythm early on and most likely will have months to make it a "habit for life" (depending on how much weight you have to lose). The more you have to lose, the longer it will take and the better your new habits will stick.

As to hunger, yes, it will return but I find for me it is very rarely cravings. It is actual hunger, letting me know that my body needs nutrients. I have been exercising more in the last few months (I just started training for a 1/2 marathon walk to take place on my 44th birthday in October!), so it's no surprise that I am needing more fuel.

If you use a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator (such as http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/), you can see how many calories you are burning now (at your current weight), vs how many calories you will burn at your projected ideal weight (do 2 calculations and subtract). These are calories AT REST, any exercise (more than sitting in a chair all day) will be in addition to this.

This tells you your calorie deficit compared to how much you can eat once you hit your goal. As you can see, the deficit shrinks the smaller you get (therefore your weight loss slows down, or you must exercise more to maintain the deficit). Chances are good though that you will still have a larger BMR than what you are currently eating, and possibly what you will end up eating! Our stomachs are very small, so once you get to goal, you may have to supplement your calorie intake to keep it above your BMR for your goal weight, or you will continue to lose weight.

Example:

Current weight: 250 lbs (male, 6' tall, 35 yrs old) - BMR = 2300 calories

Goal weight : 180 lbs ((male, 6' tall, 35 yrs old) - BMR = 1864 calories

Deficit= 436 calories (daily)

Expected weight loss = 0.88 lb/week (if you're eating 1864 calories per day)

BUT, you are probably going to eat 800-1000 calories per day (I eat approx. 1000 calories/day now at 10+ months post-op)

Deficit = 2300 calories - 800 calories = 1500 calories (daily)

Expected weight loss = 3.0 lb/week (if you're eating 800 calories per day)

*Note the deficit grows smaller as you lose weight, so the expected weight loss will get smaller too!

The real challenge is to make sure the calories you are eating are healthy, good clean fuel for the body and not junk.

After months of eating smaller calories such as 500-600 immeidately post-op, moving up to 1000+ calories 6-12 months post-op, you will increase your intake naturally. It will VERY likely be significantly less than what you eat pre-op, and possibly still less than your BMR at your goal weight. As you increase, it will feel like you are eating A LOT, but believe me, it is still far less than what you ate to get to the point where you needed surgery. Especially if you focus on healthy high Protein, high quality food.

it's hard to stay on a diet for me. My grandma never cooked healthy food when she was raising me only boxed foods and stuff like Swedish meat balls and spaghetti. So it will be very hard for me to stay away from restaurant food for a while or easy to make meals since I recently moved out of my family's but I need this push/motivation.

it's hard to stay on a diet for me. My grandma never cooked healthy food when she was raising me only boxed foods and stuff like Swedish meat balls and spaghetti. So it will be very hard for me to stay away from restaurant food for a while or easy to make meals since I recently moved out of my family's but I need this push/motivation.

Restaurant food does not have to be taboo! You have to educate yourself though. I always try to find out the menu BEFORE we go to a restaurant. A big part of being successful with the VSG is planning your food for the day or the week AHEAD of time. That way you are in control and less temptation can jump in and derail your carefully laid plans. Have the good food at hand to cook with, know the nutritional information about the choices when you eat out , read the labels at the grocery store when you're shopping. It's about arming yourself with information and setting yourself up for success!

I do my best to research restaurant menus online before we go (if you have a smartphone, sometimes you can do this right at the restaurant....they dont' always have nutritional info in the restaurant, but often it is available online!). If I've looked at the menu before we get there, I can choose my meal before they even hand me the menu. No tempting pictures to look at, no drooling over items I shouldn't eat, and I can log everything in my daily log (I use MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat, every day).

And I always ask for a take-out container to be brought out immediately with my meal, and pack about 80% of the meal as soon as I get it. That way I won't overeat (and feel sick), I don't get asked "is there anything wrong with your meal?) because I have a clean plate when they come around, and I have great left-overs for a couple of meals!

Restaurant food does not have to be taboo! You have to educate yourself though. I always try to find out the menu BEFORE we go to a restaurant. A big part of being successful with the VSG is planning your food for the day or the week AHEAD of time. That way you are in control and less temptation can jump in and derail your carefully laid plans. Have the good food at hand to cook with, know the nutritional information about the choices when you eat out , read the labels at the grocery store when you're shopping. It's about arming yourself with information and setting yourself up for success!

I do my best to research restaurant menus online before we go (if you have a smartphone, sometimes you can do this right at the restaurant....they dont' always have nutritional info in the restaurant, but often it is available online!). If I've looked at the menu before we get there, I can choose my meal before they even hand me the menu. No tempting pictures to look at, no drooling over items I shouldn't eat, and I can log everything in my daily log (I use MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat, every day).

And I always ask for a take-out container to be brought out immediately with my meal, and pack about 80% of the meal as soon as I get it. That way I won't overeat (and feel sick), I don't get asked "is there anything wrong with your meal?) because I have a clean plate when they come around, and I have great left-overs for a couple of meals!

thanks very much for the advice! The whole is there something wrong with my food made me remember the last time I went to a Korean restaurant the owner went searching through my chicken to see how much of it I ate when we left..it was really weird. Any ways thanks again!

thanks very much for the advice! The whole is there something wrong with my food made me remember the last time I went to a Korean restaurant the owner went searching through my chicken to see how much of it I ate when we left..it was really weird. Any ways thanks again!

You can do this Ashlie Marie! I only WISH I had taken control of my weight at age 20. I am now 43 and I have spent the last 25 years (and then some) morbidly obese. I missed out on a lot of living due to my weight. I'm only just now returning to the active lifestyle I slowly gave up and the confidence I lost.

I feel like a teenager again and I'm thrilled that you have turned your attention to getting your health in good order so young.

Keep reading, learning and asking questions. You'll do great!