Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned about iron sleeve

I was sleeved on 3/11, 12 days ago. It seems I have a steel-belted sleeve. I can drink 32 ounces of Water in half an hour. Today I ate 1/2 cup of sloppy joe with turkey (puréed) and a tablespoon of sour cream without any issue. When I was done I did not feel stuffed like a lot of people describe. I can eat 6 oz of yogurt easily and pretty quickly. Nothing seems to bother my sleeve, no matter how fast or slow I eat. Being only 12 days out, am I going to have issues with not having restriction when I'm further out? It doesn't seem like I have a whole lot now. It's making me really concerned. :(

As you begin to eat dense protien it will be harder to eat more. When I eat sliders I never feel it so I stay away from it a much as I can. When I eat fish and chicken I feel restriction really quick. Make sure u counting your chews and drink 30 mins before anf after. That also helps.

GRATEFUL N THANKFUL

I can fit different amounts of food...depending on what I am eating. I am able to eat anything I want...but if it is meat I can only eat about 1/4-1/2 of a cup. You will be fine...plus you are a guy, so you will drop some major pounds fast! Not fair! Girls lose slower, every time! Good luck!

WOW! I was 3/11 too. I am still on full-liquids. BUT, I did have a leak (found in surgery-and fixed) and a hernia fixed. I just got my drains out Thursday. While I calculated I would be on the soft/pureed this coming week-didn't happen. But the week after next-hoping to on that soft diet!! I can usually get 16 ounces in an hour. If anyone has any hints on how to get the fluids down faster-please let me know!

The I object is not to see how fast you can drink or how much you can eat at one time. Your sleeve will not be totally healed for 4 more weeks. Measure your food, the amount they told you to eat. Drink slowly and give yourself time to heal. You did not mention if you were hungry yet. If you are eat 2 ozs every couple of hours not all at once. I am 4 months post op and never tried to do what you are doing while my sleeve was healing.

Best of luck but read over your instructions again and follow them to a tee especially in the beginning when you are healing.

I am following the instructions for what I was told to eat. In fact I was given a sample menu for each week, and am following that. I haven't deviated from it yet. It says in the pureed stage that I can have 1/2 cup of pureed sloppy joe. That's what I had tonight. I took probably 20-30 minutes to eat it. As for fluids, it says to take it slow at first, and as your sleeve swelling goes down, you can drink faster. I'm having no issues with restriction for drinking so I'm drinking faster. Is there an upper limit on how fast I should be drinking? I have seen lots of posts from people who say that their drinking is now back to what it was pre-op. Should I give it more time before I drink this fast?

Currently I'm tracking everything I eat and am getting 600-800 calories per day. But I often feel hungry. Tonight after I ate my 1/2 cup of sloppy joe I felt like I was still hungry. I didn't eat anything more for a couple hours, because that's what the plan says to do, but it's not how I feel. Rarely do I get an actual satiated feeling. That's what worries me. Did anyone else have a bottomless sleeve in purees and then do fine once they got to real solid foods? Hoping so! But fearing that this is just another in a long line of broken dreams. :(

I just don't want you to stretch your sleeve and give it time to heal. You say you feel hunger already. I did not feel hunger for months. Are you eating a lot of carbs? That can make you hungry.

If you are doing what they instructed you to do then I guess you are alright. Again best of luck.

Are you taking Pepcid or Prevacid? Sometimes stomach acid mimics hunger, especially in the early days. You shouldn't be feeling actual hunger for a few more months, but may battle "head hunger." Get in your Protein first, drink 64oz a day if you can, take your Vitamins and a PPI, space out your meals (3 hours apart), and stop drinking 30 minutes before you eat anything (including your purées and protein drinks). This isn't a race, slow down, relax!

Puréed foods didn't do it for me either. Once you are eating real food you will be full a lot longer.

Puréed foods didn't do it for me either. Once you are eating real food you will be full a lot longer.

I'm hopping that the same happens to me. I'm just like pepper Paul because I was sleeved on the 11th also and can eat more then 4 ounces and still not be full, I had a full hard boiled egg and never felt the fullness everyone says they feel so I waited 30 mins and then had 4 more ounces of apple sauce

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am following the instructions for what I was told to eat. In fact I was given a sample menu for each week' date=' and am following that. I haven't deviated from it yet. It says in the pureed stage that I can have 1/2 cup of pureed sloppy joe. That's what I had tonight. I took probably 20-30 minutes to eat it. As for fluids, it says to take it slow at first, and as your sleeve swelling goes down, you can drink faster. I'm having no issues with restriction for drinking so I'm drinking faster. Is there an upper limit on how fast I should be drinking? I have seen lots of posts from people who say that their drinking is now back to what it was pre-op. Should I give it more time before I drink this fast?

Currently I'm tracking everything I eat and am getting 600-800 calories per day. But I often feel hungry. Tonight after I ate my 1/2 cup of sloppy joe I felt like I was still hungry. I didn't eat anything more for a couple hours, because that's what the plan says to do, but it's not how I feel. Rarely do I get an actual satiated feeling. That's what worries me. Did anyone else have a bottomless sleeve in purees and then do fine once they got to real solid foods? Hoping so! But fearing that this is just another in a long line of broken dreams. :([/quote']

Im the same, Pepper Paul. I was sleeved on 3/13. I have no problem drinking & i do feel hunger. Doctor told me to take a few bites every few hours. I can feel satiated, but i haven't felt really full. Im also eating between 500 & 800 calories a day. Im hoping to feel fuller & want to eat less when i get to solid foods. It scares me that i can eat oatmeal & Soups so easily. I was hoping to not feel hunger at least for the first month. I am losing weight. i'm down over 18 pounds, which is good for me. But I have the same fears as you do right now.

I'm the same. Don't feel full and I feel as if I could drink a lot more even. I do get in about 72 ounces a day. I follow the plan and eat every 3-4 hours. Even if I am hungry I make myself wait to eat and drink extra Water to help. I was even told to go up in my puréed stage to 1 cup of Soup, chili, etc. still not full, but satisfied.

I was told some people are just like this and they said during different stages it may change. I am on soft foods and still never feel full.

I guess some of us are just "lucky" not to have issues eating. We are then cured to dealing with hunger I guess.

I was sleeved on 3/11' date=' 12 days ago. It seems I have a steel-belted sleeve. I can drink 32 ounces of Water in half an hour. Today I ate 1/2 cup of sloppy joe with turkey (puréed) and a tablespoon of sour cream without any issue. When I was done I did not feel stuffed like a lot of people describe. I can eat 6 oz of yogurt easily and pretty quickly. Nothing seems to bother my sleeve, no matter how fast or slow I eat. Being only 12 days out, am I going to have issues with not having restriction when I'm further out? It doesn't seem like I have a whole lot now. It's making me really concerned. :([/quote']

Not sure if this will help. Are you drinking when you eat. My dr says you must wait 30 minutes before you drink or it will empty your stomach faster and you won't feel full.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure that I'm happy that there are others in the same boat as me, but at least I know I'm not a lone case. I guess we'll just have to work through this together and hopefully as we move through to regular food, we'll start feeling more restriction. The good news is that I am losing. I'm down 16 pounds since surgery and 31 pounds since starting the pre-op diet. 16 pounds in 13 days, I figure I'm doing something right!

Mokee, I'm not sure exactly what constitutes low carbs, but here's what mine have been for the last 5 days. Wed - 87 carbs, 16 from sugar. Thurs - 75 carbs, 27 from sugar. Fri - 97 carbs, 33 from sugar. Sat - 56 carbs, 23 from sugar. Sun - 57 carbs, 22 from sugar. Where should I be with carbs?

Susmcmur, I am taking a PPI and having meals 3 hours apart.

Shoshshe13, I am not drinking for at least half an hour before/after a meal. I do appreciate the suggestions from everyone! It's pretty fantastic having a pace to come with any questions and for support!

I'm also walking everyday. Today I walked 2.75 miles. Yesterday I mowed my lawn (self-propelled mower, and I emptied the bag at half full so it wasn't over 15 pounds), and the day before I walked 3.75 miles. I'm feeling really good and getting stronger everyday. Today for about the last 1/4 mile I had a pain in my stomach right below the big incision. I'm guessing (hoping) that its just pulling on that deeper stitch, as I've read that can sometimes happen. I was walking at a pretty brisk pace when it started hurting so I slowed down. After I was home for awhile it went away.

I am following the instructions for what I was told to eat. In fact I was given a sample menu for each week' date=' and am following that. I haven't deviated from it yet. It says in the pureed stage that I can have 1/2 cup of pureed sloppy joe. That's what I had tonight. I took probably 20-30 minutes to eat it. As for fluids, it says to take it slow at first, and as your sleeve swelling goes down, you can drink faster. I'm having no issues with restriction for drinking so I'm drinking faster. Is there an upper limit on how fast I should be drinking? I have seen lots of posts from people who say that their drinking is now back to what it was pre-op. Should I give it more time before I drink this fast?

Currently I'm tracking everything I eat and am getting 600-800 calories per day. But I often feel hungry. Tonight after I ate my 1/2 cup of sloppy joe I felt like I was still hungry. I didn't eat anything more for a couple hours, because that's what the plan says to do, but it's not how I feel. Rarely do I get an actual satiated feeling. That's what worries me. Did anyone else have a bottomless sleeve in purees and then do fine once they got to real solid foods? Hoping so! But fearing that this is just another in a long line of broken dreams. :([/quote']

You will start to feel the restrictions... In was the same way... Day two I could drink those ounce Water cups like a shot of whiskey! I am 5weeks out and can guzzle water... Not huge amounts but about 4 oz easily and again another 4 a few mins later. ... Once you eat something that really needs to be chewed you'll see the difference... Don't let other people's judgment of how you're doing things discourage you... I was accused of not being serious about losing weight! Seriously? Who has this surgery that isn't serious? Keep your chin up and keep asking questions