Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping Syndrome

Hey Argon:

No its not a pbing prob, I went to the doctor because everything I eat stays in my system not very long and I am running to the washroom(sorry for that image) but they are running some test to see whats going on, he does not think it is anything to do with the lapband, but the dumping syndrome I looked in my book that was given to me and basically it says pretty much the same thing thats why I was wondering if it only happens right after surgery or not.

Do you exercise? I have a treadmill and I use it everyday, I do 2 miles most days and I walk my dog, I am pretty busy.

Cheers

SherriBerry

Just so happens that I was cleaning out my purse tonight. I found a old beat up lap-band brochure. I read for curiosity and noticed one of the things listed was....lap-banded persons will not experience dumping. I still don't know what it means to dump:confused: . lol. Hope that helps, it must be something else sherriberry

Before I had lap band surgery, I attended an information session for bariatric surgery. Dumping occurs in most patients after the RNY procedure. It usually causes you to feel very very ill. Not only do you have to run to the washroom you feel terrible, like you are going to die and you have to lie down. My guess is that your symptoms are unrelated to the band.

Hope you feel better soon

Ask about IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome. That is a huge symptom, of IBS, it can also be Constipation. There are several meds out there that help with it. I have the same problem if I eat chicken or eggs. The doc says I don't process the bacteria in those items very well. If I cook these things at home, I am fine, if I order them out I better be close to home. ~Mandy

interesting Mandy... nice name, by the way :)

Sherri - yes, I do exercise... NOW. :) Just started 6 weeks ago. I'm going about 3 times a week, 1 - 1.5 hours each time. Keep up with the treadmill!

Mandi

Hey guys:

It turns out they think it might be my gallbladder acting up, also checking me out for IBS, I should know in a few days, I am leaning towards gallbladder though, my right hand side under my rib is pretty tender. I will keep yah posted!

Argon: Keep up the exercise, I found alot of my weight loss depended on it.

Cheers!

Make sure they do a hydascan, it tests the function of the gall bladder. I was told it was not my gallbladder for over 3 years, there were no stones. My surgeon did a hydascan and my gallbladder was not functioning normally. I had tt removed and felt much better almost instantly. Good luck, Mandy

Sherry, glad your doctor's are working to pinpoint your problem. I understand gallbladder problems are common with WLS. Please keep us updated and wish you the best.

The hydascan is simple. They do a scan of the gallbladder, then start an IV, the send a synth fat through the iv and a dye, it shows how the gallbladder reacts to the fat. The gallbladder should get big and then squeez down small, to release the bile. Mine stayed enlarged, I was in real pain, I had to ride it out. But because it is synthetic, it only lasts about 10 mins. The doc called me on my way home from the hospital and said my gallbladder had to come out. I had surgery the following week, 2 days after my birthday. 5 weeks later I was in Disney having a blast. I haven't had another pain since the gallbladder came out. Look up hydascan on google, there are tons of sites that explain it better and show pictures. ~Mandy

I'm having link problems this morning. You MAY be having Dumping syndrome, but it has NOTHING to do with gastric banding...unless some damage was caused during surgery. Dumping IS a predictable side effect of the RnY and, in fact, many patients rely on that to dissuade them from eating sweets or fats. (Some of MY goofy RnY friends just take their donut to bed with them and have a planned dumping episode..go figure. So far, I have heard of one DS patient who thinks she has dumping syndrom, but when she describes it, it doesn't match with the literature.)

From NIH:

Rapid Gastric Emptying (Dumping Syndrome)

Rapid gastric emptying, or dumping syndrome, happens when the lower end of the small intestine (jejunum) fills too quickly with undigested food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins during or right after a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, and shortness of breath. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.

Stomach surgery is the main cause of dumping syndrome because surgery may damage the system that controls digestion. Patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome may also have dumping syndrome. (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome is a rare disorder involving extreme peptic ulcer disease and gastrin-secreting tumors in the pancreas.)

Doctors diagnose dumping syndrome through blood tests. Treatment includes changes in eating habits and medication. People who have dumping syndrome need to eat several small meals a day that are low in carbohydrates and should drink liquids between meals, not with them. People with severe cases take medicine to slow their digestion.

Information provided by the

National Institutes of Health

Here is info on dumping syndrome from an RnY patient:

Dumping syndrome is an effective result of the gastric bypass system which alerts the body of inappropriate eating. Dumping syndrome is described as a shock-like state when small, easily absorbed food particles rapidly dump into the digestive system. This results in a very unpleasant feeling with symptoms such as a cold clammy sweat, pallor, butterflies in the stomach and a pounding pulse. These symptoms may be followed by cramps and diarrhea. This state can last for 30-60 minutes and is quite uncomfortable.

That was the clinical description of dumping.

This is what I experience when I dump: shortly after eating a food I don’t tolerate (sugar, milk, sugary milk products or starchy carbs) I begin to feel a bit disoriented, maybe dizzy and then an overall sense of confusion or panic takes over my mind and body. This is a mild state of delirium. Then I begin sweating. Profuse sweating that can completely soak my hair, my clothes; it drips and glistens on my skin. During this state of sweaty panic I feel like I’m out of my mind! A few times during extremely dramatic dumping episodes I literally thought I was dying, the state of distress was that severe.

At this point during a dumping episode I have learned it is best to lie down on my side and let it nature take its course. The body is efficiently, albeit painfully, correcting a chemical imbalance in the cell system. It takes great presence of mind to calm myself and lay down, but even in a state of near-delirium I now know this is the only action to be taken. I know the event is passing when the sense of panic is replaced by exhaustion and cold chills instead of sweating. Occasionally I have suffered diarrhea at this point. If I have the luxury I’ll try to take a nap or go to bed after dumping. If it is in the evening I’ll sleep through the night, and wake feeling like I’ve been run over by a truck.

The mild delirium associated with dumping is the result of an interruption of nerve impulses affecting cerebral metabolism. The interruptions are caused by metabolic disturbances such as Fluid or electrolyte imbalance. When the incorrect foods are consumed and dumped into the digestive system the electrolytes get out of balance. Dehydration will also cause an electrolyte imbalance. This mild delirium is characterized by a reduced ability to maintain attention to surroundings or disorganized thinking. The daily routine can become confusing. In extreme cases a person who is dumping may experience rambling, irrelevant or incoherent speech.

If your surgeon doesn't know that the band does not cause Dumping Syndrome, he is really NOT informed about the surgery he is doing. Because of that, in your situation, I'd locate an experienced "back-up" doctor--even if that involves travel or more money--in the event you have a concern or complication that requires some experieince to deal with.

:help: :sick Does anyone have any info on Dumping Syndrome, I guess I am wondering if that only happens right after your surgery or can it happen anytime? I have been having a few probs and I dont have a doctor here in North Bay I can ask so I am looking for any advise or info you can give me.:help:

Who is your Doctor, if you don't mind me asking. I was banded by Dr. Cirangle. He scares me...