Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will I be approved if?

My name is Alisha and I am 26. current weight 216, height 5.2

I have family history of diabetese, stroke, cholestrol, sleep Apnea, hypertension, kidney disease. Infact my mom has all of these conditions on top of morbid obeisity,, she is currently in the process of gastric sleeve surgery. When I went with her to her appointments I had a realization what uf I become this in the upcoming years. So far I dont have any comorbiditys but I am very overweight and ubhealthy weight wise. I have done many diets and programs only to gain all that back. I thought since my mom has sleep apnea, I might too and that will help me getting appricedr. By the way my bmi is 39.5 I have thyroid and currently take methimazole 5mg. I also have chronic Constipation and chronic fatigue syndrome due to thyroid. My thyroid is hyper BUT I have all the symptoms of hypo, I know its weird, the docs cant seem to explain that either.

Anyways when I went for my sleep apnea results and it appears I don't have it, but the doc suggested to get MSLT done.. It is multiple sleep latency test since i.have all.the apnea symptoms.

Did anyone else had to go through this? Iam so scared that I won't be approved by my insurance.

I have no other Comorbidities but due to my family history I am very prone to all these problems.

I am seeing a bariatric surgean and finished all their requirements like nut, psych, barium swallow, ekg,.blood work etc.

I so hope this works out, I really want a.fresh start to being healthy.

thank you for listening, this forum has been a great treasure and I truly appreciate each and everyones input.

Alisha

Since every insurance company is different, it is hard to say whether you would be approved, unfortunately But I will say, that I use Humana, and I needed a BMI over 40 since I had none of their "approved" co-morbidities. I wish you luck!!

My insurance company will not approve with a BMI under 40 with no co-morbitities and according to my surgeon that is the norm. You are SO close....can you wear heavy clothes when going to the doctor? Maybe gain a pound or two? I know, I know...the thought of purposely gaining weight seems so wrong, but you are a half point away from a BMI of 40. Your initial weight with the surgeon is what is used for insurance submittal. I am in the second month of my three month required medical supervision before submitting for approval. I have a BMI of 41 with no co-morbitities so I just sqeeked by. Good luck

Its hard to say my insurance needed a bmi of 35 and then I had thyroid issues and sleep apnea and a bmi over 40.

The best thing to do is talk to your surgeons insurance liaison. They will better be able to help you out

Most insurances will require a BMI of over 40 with no co mobilities and a BMI of over 30 with them. Mine requires at least 2 if you are under 40.

But you have to have them you can't just be prone to them

Oh my Gosh! I am approved!

my paperwork was submitted on Monday and today I got a call saying I was approved. Now I am just.waiting.for the coordinator to schedule a date for surgery.

Iam so excited to start.a fresh new life!

Thank you all for your support through the crazy anxiety time :)

Alisha

Sent from my S Galaxy using VST

Congratulations! Good for you!

My insurance is like the others, but you have to have the 40 BMI for the past 3 years, or have the co-morbidities. I have 40.9 BMI as of this week, but not the past 3 years. I'll be going for a sleep apnea test next week, and I'm hoping that will do it. Pre-diabetes won't get it, and neither will the other health problems I've got.

Congratulations! Good for you!

My insurance is like the others, but you have to have the 40 BMI for the past 3 years, or have the co-morbidities. I have 40.9 BMI as of this week, but not the past 3 years. I'll be going for a sleep apnea test next week, and I'm hoping that will do it. Pre-diabetes won't get it, and neither will the other health problems I've got.

do you take meds for pre diabetes? I'm on metformin and one doctor said I have pre another said I have it

do you take meds for pre diabetes? I'm on metformin and one doctor said I have pre another said I have it

I have taken Metformin in the past. On my last physical, my physician said my A1C was good, and she took me off them, but said she would keep me on them if I want. Diabetes runs heavily in my family ...3 grandparents, mother, sister, 2 brothers. Its just a matter of time for me.

I have taken Metformin in the past. On my last physical, my physician said my A1C was good, and she took me off them, but said she would keep me on them if I want. Diabetes runs heavily in my family ...3 grandparents, mother, sister, 2 brothers. Its just a matter of time for me.

i wasn't sure if I had pre or if I flat out had diabetes. I'm having a physical on the 25th of April and hopefully they can clear that up for me now that I have a new doctor.

i wasn't sure if I had pre or if I flat out had diabetes. I'm having a physical on the 25th of April and hopefully they can clear that up for me now that I have a new doctor.

Well, in this case I hope you do have it....not something I'd ordinarily wish on someone. My aunt had it really bad and had to have both her legs amputated. She died 3 weeks later. Since I've been off Metformin for about 3 months, maybe the next time I'm tested I'll have it too. I don't know. I just know that if I don't get this weight off, I'm not going to have a chance of avoiding it.

Well I don't need it,sites say my BMI is 47 but it helps my case if I do have co mobilitys. I do have high blood pressure most of the time I come in. I'm more worried about convincing my doctor to refer me to surgery.

Thank goodness you don't need it as a co-morbidity. I sincerely hope you don't get it. My primary care physician doesn't know that I want surgery yet. I went to a seminar, and then made an appointment directly with the surgeon.

I'll have to talk to my PCP soon about it because she will have to be involved. I'm worried that she won't go for it though. She is one of these tall, slender types, who has never had a weight problem.

Thank goodness you don't need it as a co-morbidity. I sincerely hope you don't get it. My primary care physician doesn't know that I want surgery yet. I went to a seminar, and then made an appointment directly with the surgeon.

I'll have to talk to my PCP soon about it because she will have to be involved. I'm worried that she won't go for it though. She is one of these tall, slender types, who has never had a weight problem.

i know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately I have to go through my doctor first. She has to be the one to refer me..I made an ad on Craigslist seeing if anyone had my insurance and had the sleeve. A lady replied and even went to the same clinic, she told me her doctor referred her first visit so is switched to her doctor since I was looking into different clinics even but before I tried a new clinic I thought I'd give this doctor a shot..if not there is another person I met on here who told me their clinic and doctor who I will switch to if she won't do what I ask. I am positive I want this and I absolutely qualify. So so nervous to ask her