Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve diary, POST-OP TRUTH

I'm making this for those of you that are thinking of getting the sleeve and have questions. I, thought about backing out so many times, and after reading the consent forms, well I almost did. But I thought "why should I?, why not go for it?, why not take a chance for a healthy life I've always wanted?" Well I decided to go through with it, and so happy I did!

DAY 1: sleeve pre-op, day 1 was horrible, drinking Protein Shakes for a whole week, my body and mind was so hungry, so I cheated on day 1 with a grilled chicken sandwich, chicken and bottom bun only.

DAY2-3sleeve pre-op, did cheat on day 2/3 with the same, a grilled chicken sandwich, meat and bottom bun only. The shakes just did not do no good at filling me up

DAY 4 sleeve pre-op, shakes all day, but had a few bites of lean beef Jerky

DAY 5/6 sleeve pre-op, no cheating at all, my body felt so good at this time, I guess from not eating junk and the liquid diet was much easier to deal with. Went to the doctor on day 5 for the consent forms, blood drawn and hernia test, under anesthesia. Doctor found the medium sized hiatal hernia and was told it could be fixed with no problems.

DAY 7 sleeve pre-op, I was so nervous, all I could drink was Water, no shakes and I did drink one bottle of Isopure. Drank 2 16.9 bottles of water at midnight.

SURGERY DAY March 20th: woke up, got some good sleep! Nothing to drink, prayed when I got to the hospital, and at 8:37am they called me back. Said goodbye to my best friend, and walked to my room. Got my IV in my left hand, and waited for 1 hr and 1/2. 10:08am, anesthesia doctor came in and talked to me, told me about the anesthesia and what to expect, nurse gave me and anti-anxiety shot in my IV and at 10:22am the nurses came in and wheeled me into the surgery room. (It was so cold in there)

POST-OP: 12:34pm I woke up in the recovery room, no pain, no nausea until I looked down and saw 5 wounds in my stomach area. Nurses came in and gave me a nausea dose in my IV, nausea went away.

2:47pm, woke up, no pain, no nausea, never vomited and felt good! Went to go pea for the first time and walks a little, still no pain! Walked back to my room after a small walk around the floor, and got some sleep in before my mom arrived at 6:00pm. Was awoken by my mom and still no pain, no nausea and no vomiting.

9:00pm, my mom left and I went to sleep, nurses came in and checked on me all through the night, no nausea, no pain and no vomiting all night.

DAY 1 post op sleeve: woke up at 7:49am, no pain in the stomach area, no nausea or vomiting again. A little pain from the hernia repair, had a little difficulty swallowing, but I hit the pain pump and it went away. Doctor came in at 1:58pm and talked to me, was released and went home. Stayed in bed most if the day, walked every other hour and hernia repair spot was still hurting so I took my hydrocodone.

DAY2 post op sleeve: woke up feeling better, still no nausea, vomiting or pain. walked throughout the day and rested the rest. Ate Popsicles (chocolate and cherry sugar free) all day, drank water and walked more! Not much isopure, just 3/4's of a bottle, and 3 bottles of 16.9oz water throughout the day.

DAY 3 post op sleeve: no pain to think of, no pills, no nausea and still no vomiting. Still eating Popsicles and cherry Jello (all sugar free). Feeling good, not really hungry I'm the stomach, just the mind thing..

I'm so glad I got this done, thanks to all of you that kept me on track, so many to thank, so many that could have left this site after surgery and never looked back. It's nice to know that so many people are willing to stay around and help with people like me that was scared and wanting to back out. Thanks Kirk for keeping me in check, and we all enjoy this site! Laura and movie mom, y'all were more than helpful, I now have a few more friends I can chat with!

For those of you scared, don't be, some will have complications and not everyone's will be smooth going. It's an invitation to a healthy life, a new beginning and most of all, a new you. Remember, God made us all different sizes, some small, some very large, but we all are who we are. We can change or get worse living a shorter life. Whatever decision you decide to make, be happy with it, and leave it in Gods hands. Take care everyone.

Very well written and so glad u got surgery, I had mine on 3/18 and have had some pain dry heaves once but u sound like urs has been perfect. GOD is good

Really glad it all went so well for you!

Look at you! Fresh out of surgery and already helping the newer people prepare for the ups and downs of the hospital stay! We are all here for each other :)

Thank you for this. My surgery is Monday and I've been focusing on positive thoughts and imagining my post-op experience to be exactly as you describe. I had my gallbladder out in Jan and had absolutely no nausea or pain (I even asked them if they did anything) just felt like I did a lot of crunches.

Wishing you continued success with your recovery.

Thank you for this. My surgery is Monday and I've been focusing on positive thoughts and imagining my post-op experience to be exactly as you describe. I had my gallbladder out in Jan and had absolutely no nausea or pain (I even asked them if they did anything) just felt like I did a lot of crunches.

Wishing you continued success with your recovery.

It's not that bad at all, well it wasn't for me. Everyone's is different and will have different outcomes. But it seems like most of us have the same success, my incisions hardly have ever hurt, maybe once or twice.

I went through Dr Stowers at Mybariatricsolutions, great staff and I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

I forgot to mention about the incisions, well I forgot to mention bc they have never really given me any true pain. I thought they were gonna hurt, but I was wrong!

Glad your doing well! :) have you been enjoying the time off?

Hey Laura doing great! Almost 2 weeks post op and never felt so good since I stopped eating all those processed foods! How are you?