Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I am newly sleeved from Scotland

Hi everyone. I have been browsing this site for a few months prior to my surgery, looking for information and getting a feel for other people's experiences. My surgery was originally planned for December 20th 2012 but unfortunately I developed pneumonia in November and was not fully recovered. was a bit of a blow as I had planned carefully to be off work at a quiet time. Finally sleeved on 19th February 2013 so now 4 weeks post-op. My biggest issue is eating enough! I have no hunger or drive to eat whatsoever and have to make a concious effort eat! I have tried numerous Protein Shakes and find them all pretty unpalatable. I'm surprised that eggs are so hard to take, I used to love eggs and now cannot tolerate them.

This aside, I am otherwise pretty amazed at how well I feel and looking forward to seeing the "old me" re-emerge from under the flab!

Would love to hear from other folk in the UK, but also happy to meet fellow sleevers from across the globe.

MaDunx

I do the same thing with eating. I'm only 2 weeks out but I have to just set a schedule and eat or take Protein shakes at certain times because I have no feelings of hunger or need to eat, which is a good thing. I just make sure to hit my Protein number and stay under my calorie number and I'm good with it. I'm actually kind of prefer it that way. It makes food more of a fuel than something I'm looking forward to.

As far has shakes go have you tried to add in a table spoon of some low fat Peanut Butter? I started doing this with one shake a day just to break up the otherwise boring taste and love it. Just be careful not to add to much or do it to many times a day as some Peanut Butter can have a high number of calories.

Hi all, I am from Yorkshire in the UK.

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and doing really quite well, one thing that concerns me is that everyone on here talks about Protein shakes etc, I was never told to have this just to make Protein my first priority with meals, had anyone else had this xx

I am 2 weeks out and have found 2 palatable brands of powdered Protein. You can order online. They are called About Time and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. I like vanilla and chocolate splendor I also have PB2 powdered Peanut Butter. I add to my shake and with 1 and 1/2 scoops of Protein powder, 1% milk and the PB2 I have a shake that tastes great and is over 40 grams of protein! I also add ice to my shaker.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I am from Yorkshire in the UK.

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and doing really quite well, one thing that concerns me is that everyone on here talks about Protein shakes etc, I was never told to have this just to make Protein my first priority with meals, had anyone else had this xx

The shakes are mainly to make up the inability to get in protein the first few weeks. I was told to be on liquid or semi liquid the first 2 weeks post op. So creamed Soups are about the thickest it gets. Then on top of that you are only taking in like 4 - 8 oz. per meal. That makes it very hard in the early stages to get in enough protein. So to make up for it you take the shakes. I was told that as soon as I can get in enough, around 70 grams, with regular food I don't have to take the shakes any more. So yea as long as you can get that amount in you wouldn't need them but I would think it would be hard to find enough in the start.

So nice to get some replies. I have lost not an ounce for the last 9 days, but not downhearted as I read from other posts that this is not uncommon.

Hi, Cathy here from England. When I was using Protein Shakes I got them from myprotein.com. I got the impact whey Protein and found them palatable. They sell taster portions so you can try and find ones you like. I still use them occasionally and add instant coffee granules to the vanilla one.

Don't worry about the weight loss - it will happen but at times it takes patience. I am considered a slow loser (well I consider that I am slow) and have lost 80lb and will be 1 year out on 3rd April, would like to get to a 100lb loss. One thing you must do is to accept that your journey is your own and you must not compare yourself with others. There will always be people who lose faster than yourself and if you compare yourself with them you might end up disappointed in yourself when I fact any lb you lose is a victory.

Hello! I was sleeved on the same day you were! Im 25 lbs down. How are you eating your eggs? I can only eat them scrambled, sprinkled with cheese and salsa. Before I ate them over easy, but I can't take them like that anymore. I also eat cottage cheese, baked chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy (the chicken tends to get overcooked in this house so I use the mashed and gravy to get it down). I've also gone out a few times and had a quarter of a shredded chicken enchilada. And the beans! Delicious! I also had half a meatball for dinner one night. That was good. I hope you are able to find more foods you can tolerate. I'm waiting for the day I can have a salad. So sad that what I miss the most is crunchy vegetables.

Oh, btw. I didn't lose anything until the third week.

You don't know how lucky you are, go with it. Eventually it will change and then you'll struggle like the rest of us.

Thanks for comments. I've tried eggs scrambled and boiled then mashed but unfortunately they just sit like lead in my tummy. I find each day is a bit of an experiment, some things work, some don't! Like Lindanack I do rather crave a lovely crunchy salad. I have managed to eat fresh apple which is nice, I just have to remember to chew lots!

How are folks managing with Vitamin supplements?

I tried the soluble Vitamins by Berocca but they have a really strong flavour and made me feel nauseous for next few hours.

HI madunx - I'm a fellow Scot :)

I'm getting a band to sleeve revision on Tues in Glasgow. Where did you have your op?

Great to know of a bandster nearby.

Gilx

Hi I'm Meg from Fife. Had my op 6/2/13 not lost as much as most. I was 13 stone when I had the op and now 11stone 4lbs. Happy enough with that but two weeks ago I was 11st 2lbs then I went up to 11stone 4lbs and seem stuck on that for now.

I have felt head hunger for the last two weeks, can't each much but feel I want to. Waiting for this to pass also!!

HI madunx - I'm a fellow Scot :)

I'm getting a band to sleeve revision on Tues in Glasgow. Where did you have your op?

Great to know of a bandster nearby.

Gilx

Hi Gil,

Sorry not been on here in ages. I had surgery at Spire Murrayfield

How are you doing now you have had your surgery? Well, I hope

Fiona (MaDunx)