Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet cheaters

I recall a thread about a year or so ago about a lady who was so upset. She had gone in for her surgery and during the post-op report with the surgeon, he told he when he got in there, her liver was too big to work with and he cancelled the surgery. He just didn't feel comfortable doing the surgery with such a large liver. She said she struggled with the pre-op diet and didn't follow it. The title of the post was something like, "Don't let this happen to you" or something like that, if you want to try to search for it.

Bottom line ... the pre-op diet isn't to lose weight in as much as to shrink your liver (which sits on top of your stomach). So, depending on your surgeon, know that when they get in there, if they don't like what they see, they could pull out and cancel.

Some docs must be ok working round large livers and don't have any trouble. Maybe it's experience? A lot of our doc don't require pre-op diets. Mine didn't and I am very thankful..

Anyway, like you said just be honest with your doc and I'm sure all will be fine.. But you better shrinky dink that liver :D

I'm did it for 20 days preop, and I admit I did slip once and had a bean burritto. It happens because we're human! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. You can do this! If not, I'm a Texan too and hog tie'n you and spoon feeding you Protein Drinks is a possibility! ;)

If you can't make 7 days that is not having head in the right place. You did not even make the first day let alone 7 What will happen after the cut and you still miss food you will be posting I ate a "hamberger but I chewed it up really well" there are many reasons you do what the doctor said to do before and after but the best reason is your doc. said to do it and you did not listen now so why listen after.

If you can't make 7 days that is not having head in the right place. You did not even make the first day let alone 7 What will happen after the cut and you still miss food you will be posting I ate a "hamberger but I chewed it up really well" there are many reasons you do what the doctor said to do before and after but the best reason is your doc. said to do it and you did not listen now so why listen after.

Well it would be nice if I was perfect like you...

I cheated on my liquid diet. I was so afraid my doctor was going to cancel my surgery that it wasnt even worth it. I might have even gotten a few gray hairs from the stressing. Put on your big boy underwear and get it together! Its already on wednesday!

I am thankful that my surgeon did not require a pre-op diet. I can't imagine weeks of this diet. OMG, I'd probably want to kill someone. :(

I wish you well.

Perfect ain't the point you did not make 1 day that is not a slip up day 3 is a slip up. You do not need to be perfect but you need to change your food addiction now or you are going to have a real hard time of this. My point is not that I am perfict far from it but the crash of surgery is bad enough then add no comfort food and the liquid diet helped me cause when the surgery came I was so sick of liquid I did not care if I died or not saved on worries.

If you learn to use this tool it is great I went from 423lbs to 284lbs in 7 months and I had some cheats so learn now and enjoy the ride

Perfect ain't the point you did not make 1 day that is not a slip up day 3 is a slip up. You do not need to be perfect but you need to change your food addiction now or you are going to have a real hard time of this.

There are 100's of us that didn't have a pre-op diet OR psych/therapy type lectures/evals and we are doing great with our journeys. Some of us had food funerals until the evening prior to surgery. If it's meant to work out it will. Sometimes it takes a rude awakening or a slap in the face to get us serious. And surgery will do that for sure. It's not easy, but everyone can do it. Lighten up a bit on us the not-so-perfect peeps.. ;)

I understand the point that bigsleeve56 is making - us guys sometimes have a tendency to be very direct with each other, so I totally understood that he is coming from a place of genuine concern rather than judgement (at least that's they way I read it).

JC, I too just want you to have a successful surgery and outcome and I don't want you to wake up from surgery, just to have the surgeon tell you they decided not to operate due to your liver size. Of course, that might not even be an issue - and with your extremely restrictive diet and slip-ups, you may still be shocking your liver into teeny tiny submission :)

Everyone is different, for sure. Every surgeon has their own preferences, for sure. Since they are the ones you are trusting with your life, I'd follow their recommendations as much as you can and be honest with your surgeon, no matter what.

Sounds like you plan on discussing this with your surgeon today (that my friend, is already progress and demonstrates accountability) - so good luck to you and I hope he surprises you and puts your mind at ease.

We are all here for you whether we candy-coat our feedback or are extremely direct. Crap, I didn't mean to bring up candy!!! :huh:

Some docs must be ok working round large livers and don't have any trouble. Maybe it's experience? A lot of our doc don't require pre-op diets. Mine didn't and I am very thankful..

Anyway' date=' like you said just be honest with your doc and I'm sure all will be fine.. But you better shrinky dink that liver :D[/quote']

So you didn't have to drink liquids for 3 days prior to surgery??

Every person is going to be different. Every surgeon is going to be different. It just does us no good to compare.

The bottom line is if your surgeon has asked you to do this, they are basically telling you they feel more comfortable doing this surgery with a shrunken liver ... do you really want to battle them on this?

Pdx gets the point if the doc sayes do it, just do it and don't try justify not doing it, and I am blunt and mean but sometimes thats what you have to do to us dummies.