Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie- finally decided on type of WLS

Hello to anyone reading

Back in January I went to see my PCP about weight loss surgery, I've been considering it for at least 3 years now and always talked myself out of it by saying its the easy way out and trying to convince myself that all I have to do is eat less and work out more. Right!

I have always been overweight. Even in my baby pics I look fat. Seriously, don't laugh! There wasn't a time when I wasn't bigger than everyone of my classmates, in addition to being fat, I was also taller! Odd ball, yes that's me.

I'm 29 years old with no kids so I can't even use that as an excuse for my fatness, I'm really just fat! My family is fat! My mom has been overweight since a kid too and from what I hear so was her dad. Is there really a fat gene? Maybe that's my excuse...idk but I don't know why I'm fat.

I don't think I eat anymore or any unhealthier than skinny people. In fact I know of some skinny people who won't stop eating. I grew up on a tiny island in the Caribbean where there wasn't access to junk food or fast food or endless options for dining out so I can't blame that but I have to say that at age 13 when I moved to NY, it was a different ball game. Cheap, quick and a variety of foods every where I looked. chips Cookies candy bars I didn't know what to eat first and i gained about 50 pounds in 1 year. Fast forward to today, I am 343 pounds! I don't have any obesity related ailments YET and that my friends is why I must do this.

My first thought was to get the lapband done but the thought of having a foreign object in my forever really bothered me. Like really! 3 years of bothering me. So in the midst of researching lapband I was learning about other options. Bypass...thought it sounded good but I'm anemic, if they bypass the part of my stomach that absorbs Iron that I can't normally absorb anyway-this could be bad; very bad. Plus I am "paranoid" for a lack of better word about stomach cancer b/c my great grandma had it, also my grandma & mom has breast cancer and mom now has bone cancer. Obviously cancer is a big factor in my life. I want to a avoid this at any means possible- another reason why I need to do something about my weight. Not that skinny people don't get cancer but I would like to fit into the MRI machine if needs be to catch things early. Did I say I was paranoid?.... So I learned that with the bypass- the part of the stomach that just sits unused- well if there's cancer growing there; they can't stick a camera down there to check it out. Only way to spot it would be via CT scans that would be done every year. So lets say I get one in December and something starts growing in February...I won't know until the following December---if I'm still alive!!

So...I'm sleeving it! I weighed all options and this seems to be the best of me. I've been reading some posts here about other people's experiences etc and a lot of new perspectives opened up to me. I seriously appreciate all of you for sharing. Even if you think it's minor and you post about it, it's helping someone and thats why I'm here. To learn as much as possible and to share as much as possible.

I do want to post the documents I received from my doctor but will at a later time. Like what to eat etc and about the tests I have to do etc but will do that at a later time so if anyone was lurking like I was and kind of undecided or unsure...it may help. Anyway.. I welcome any info and will be glad to share any info I have, if you made it this far..(a lot I know) thanks for reading!!!

Congrats on your decision, I also debated for a long time about else but now I'm hoping to have all my requirements completed this month & in for surgery next month. Good luck to both of us on our exciting journey!

Congrats on your decision' date=' I also debated for a long time about else but now I'm hoping to have all my requirements completed this month & in for surgery next month. Good luck to both of us on our exciting journey![/quote']

Thank you! I'm aiming for June surgery, I have tons of things to do lol I know you know. Do you have to lose anything b4 your surgery? My girlfriend who is in the process of getting the bypass had to lose 30 pounds b4 her surgery as doc wants her under 400 pounds. She doesn't need any 6 months diet for insurance sake. I don't have to lose anything but I plan on changing my diet before surgery, to sort of mentally prep.

What type of requirements did you have to complete?

I had to do 3 month insurance requirements of meetings with the dietician but didn't change my diet drastically. I only had to lose 5 pounds but have lost 10. My last appointment is March 20th & then everything goes to the insurance for approval. I have been told that for 1or 2 weeks before surgery I'll be on a mostly liquid diet. Bluck! But I truly believe all of this will be more than worth it.

I had been going back and forth between lap band and the sleeve until I found this forum. I truly believe this is the best option for me. I go I my first dietician appointment next Wednesday and I am so excited! Especially now that I know there are people here going through the same thing! Good luck!

I had been going back and forth between lap band and the sleeve until I found this forum. I truly believe this is the best option for me. I go I my first dietician appointment next Wednesday and I am so excited! Especially now that I know there are people here going through the same thing! Good luck!

I am awaiting a referral from my PCP to a dietician so my insurance can cover it. I've been waiting since February 19th, takes very long. I can also pay $100 and see the nutritionist at my surgeon's facility and I think I might just do that Idk. Also I feel like b/c they have their own nutritionist, it would be more convenient that route...what do you guys think? Pay the $100 or wait wait wait

If you have the $100 I would pay it, my dietitian is at the doc's office and it makes it so much more convenient

If you have the 100 I would pay it' date=' my dietitian is at the doc's office and it makes it so much more convenient[/quote']

Yes I'll do the in house dietician, I just found out the $100 covers the 2 visits required by my surgeon. I also scheduled an abdominal ultrasound, any one else had to do this? I'm a little worried b/c my tummy always hurts and I'm concerned it'll prevent me from having surgery. I have mild gastritis and no h-pylori. Had a upper endoscopy in December.