Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep drifting in and out of anxiety over anesthesia. I have a phobia of never waking up. I know it's rare. Highly unlikely. But it gets to me sometimes.

Any other irrational fears out there?

Amanda Rae

Ooh yeah! Felt The same way. A peace and calm comes over you that and a pre surgical sedative. You will wake up!

God will not bring you to this surgery to have you go out on the table but I get the fear. You will be fine and the min you wake up think of how brave you were.

I was afraid I'd die when I had my sleeve. With the pre-existing complications and conditions I had, it was a real possibility. My first word when I woke up from my sleeve was "What?" I also had a panic attack about 7 months out thinking that I'd starve to death because I wouldn't be able to eat enough to stay alive. I squelched that thought process really fast! Be careful what you think, but deal in reality. If there is a true risk, your doctor will discuss it with you beforehand. Mine did. We had an honest "come to Jesus" conversation about what could happen and I decided the risks were worth it. :) Good luck on your journey!

I am having the same thoughts, my surgery is on Thursday. I am praying for peace and calm for you and me too.

I am having the same thoughts' date=' my surgery is on Thursday. I am praying for peace and calm for you and me too.[/quote']

Thank you. I will do the same for you.

Amanda Rae

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement.

Amanda Rae

Same fear and I'm scared of death so it's hard to calm down about it. My surgery is 25th of march. I'm so excited and happy I'm doing it. I guess I will try to ignore it and just hope for the best lol

I'm freaking out too. It just doesn't seem real to me. I don't know how I am going to deal with "2 bites" and "sipping" that freaks me out more than surgery itself. I don't want to go all mental because I can't get my stomach back. Well, maybe when 3D organ printing technology is around but by then I will be all old :P

This pre-diet is mostly ok, but then I start thinking of food because I am hungry and then I am like, FARK I won't be able to eat a sandwich ever again ever! I know it's irrational. I've seen the youtube's of people eating pretty much whatever they want. But I still have that bit of mental block. The sad thing is, I am not normally food obsessed. In fact, I am pretty much to the point after food funeraling that food is gross and I am tired of it. I think this liquid diet is messing with my head.

In all seriousness, I am freaked and don't know if I am going to make it to the table.

A lot of the time, what people tend to fear is the unknown. I can suggest doing a little research on what exactly they'll do on you and what anesthetic they will use for you and common side effects. It helps ease the mind.

I had an emergency surgery back in 2008, and I was petrified of waking up mid-surgery. Strangely enough, I'm a nurse now, and I've experienced a lot in my short time on this earth. I find all of the creepy medical stuff exciting. :D

You can always ask your healthcare providers any and all questions you have, it might help calm your anxiety. They're there for you after all! Try some breathing exercises to relax. If all else fails, they make a wonderful IV "cocktail" that really takes the edge off ;)