Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A charge for hernia repair surgery ?!what?!

i was looking over an insurance EOB this weekend . i had my surgery on Dec8 and was surprized to see a charge of 3800 for hernia repair surgery!!! The surgeon DID NOT EVEN MENTION i had a hernia !!!!Even at my 2 follow up appointments!!!i called the surgeons office today to see and the answer i got was ..........." yes you had a hernia repaired and 80% of patients have hernias" ....i asked why i was not aware of this and why wasnt i told , and even at the follow up appts ???? her response was "I'm sure he told you in recovery, and u dont remember " my fiance was with me and NOTHING was mentioned regarding a hernia!!!......should i be upset about this ????? I do know that tommorrow am i am going to medical records to see if it was even performed being it was not mentioned to me !UGH!!!!!am i overreacting or do i have a right to be mad ?has anyone else experience d this ?

again ....i am not upset he did the repair ...im upset i WAS NOT notified !!!!

I would be upset too, it may or may not have been done. It could have been a billing error or an inflation of billing. My consent forms said possible hernia repair and possible liver biopsy. Its an insurance game in my opinion, but I would say something to your surgeon if you want to know.

I would definitely request an itemized hospital bill and definitely talk to the surgeon.

An itemized hospital bill is going to show the same thing as the EOB. Definitely check the medical record. I would be very upset if I wasn't told as they should have given you discharge instructions regarding the hernia repair and not just the sleeve.

I self payed. And hernia repair was included. But I was lucky and did not have one

An itemized hospital bill is going to show the same thing as the EOB. Definitely check the medical record. I would be very upset if I wasn't told as they should have given you discharge instructions regarding the hernia repair and not just the sleeve.

From my experience the itemized bill is a much more extensive listing that documents every medicine, medical procedure etc. done while hospitalized. The itemized bill gives a detailed snapshot of entire stay.

I had hernia repair but I knew I needed it. Going to Mexico, I had to pay an extra $500 for it. After figuring out all the co-pays and deductibles, we probably came out better having it done in Mexico vs the states. But yes I would be upset about not being told and would look at my med records to make sure your doctor isn't "padding" the bill.

i was looking over an insurance EOB this weekend . i had my surgery on Dec8 and was surprized to see a charge of 3800 for hernia repair surgery!!! The surgeon DID NOT EVEN MENTION i had a hernia !!!!Even at my 2 follow up appointments!!!i called the surgeons office today to see and the answer i got was ..........." yes you had a hernia repaired and 80% of patients have hernias" ....i asked why i was not aware of this and why wasnt i told ' date=' and even at the follow up appts ???? her response was "I'm sure he told you in recovery, and u dont remember " my fiance was with me and NOTHING was mentioned regarding a hernia!!!......should i be upset about this ????? I do know that tommorrow am i am going to medical records to see if it was even performed being it was not mentioned to me !UGH!!!!!am i overreacting or do i have a right to be mad ?has anyone else experience d this ?

again ....i am not upset he did the repair ...im upset i WAS NOT notified !!!![/quote']

My doctor said I might need it repaired but wouldn't know until he went in there and if damaged he would fix it.