Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Crossfitters? I have questions

I am big into crossfit and am wondering how long after surgery until I can get back to lifiting? Also wondering if I will even have the energy post op to do Crossfit or long distance running?

that's probably a better question for your Dr. Some folks here are back in the gym quite early, others it takes more time to heal internally. I didn't go back to lifting until about a month out, and I am still not back to where I was before the surgery. I don't really plan to go back that fast, I am focusing more on endurance and flexibility now instead of muscle strength. I don't think that you'll have problem with energy though. There are a fair number of sleevers working on getting ready for long distance runs, mudders, halfs, and fulls. I would just go slow and work on healing up first.

Thanks for the input! My Dr did give his recommendations just wondering how others are doing. Especiallly ones that are into crossfit, lifting or long distance running, mudders, etc. Stuff that takes a lot of energy. I love Crossfitting and running and don't want to be gone from it for long. I do want to concentrate on healing and I will but want to get back to what I love as well.

I'm thinking if you were knocking out CF pre surgery, your recovery should be fairly short and painless. I don't see you having any issues getting back to kipping soon! :lol:

I lifted, outdoor cycling, running, etc. all prior to my sleeve.

My doctor and I both can firmly agree with each other that it definitely helped in my recovery. I took absolutely no pain meds other than the initial dosage at the hospital and then refused the rest while in the hospital and never took any after I got home. Went to the mall and walked around the next day after surgery. My husband had to remind me to take it easy and not over do anything.

I am VERY fortunate that my recovery seemed effortless. :) I am 7 weeks post op today.

My drs did indicate NO lifting or hard/heavy cardio (max HR) for 6 weeks and was released to begin moderate HR march 1st. (Today)

I've been completely ok with that. I wanted no setbacks. I've done lots of walking and couple of HIIT sessions.

Hope this helps.

haha John. I will be looking forward to getting back to kipping right away!

abetter, I have been hoping that all the exercise that I do will help with my recovery and get me back to things as soon as possible. I hate the thought of being away from what I love. I think my surgeon told me 4 weeks for heavy lifting but I will have to confirm with him again. I would love to know what exercise you did post surgery and how often? And did you lift today since you were cleared? I started my pre op diet yesterday (800 calorie liquid Optifast a day) and went and did crossfit this morning. Our Saturday classes are usually pretty intense with heavy lifting and cardio and boy did it kick my butt after only 150 calories this morning. Plus I was RAVENOUSLY hungry post workout!

haha John. I will be looking forward to getting back to kipping right away!

abetter' date=' I have been hoping that all the exercise that I do will help with my recovery and get me back to things as soon as possible. I hate the thought of being away from what I love. I think my surgeon told me 4 weeks for heavy lifting but I will have to confirm with him again. I would love to know what exercise you did post surgery and how often? And did you lift today since you were cleared? I started my pre op diet yesterday (800 calorie liquid Optifast a day) and went and did crossfit this morning. Our Saturday classes are usually pretty intense with heavy lifting and cardio and boy did it kick my butt after only 150 calories this morning. Plus I was RAVENOUSLY hungry post workout![/quote']

I walked. A lot. Wear my HR monitor and kept it in pretty much in zone 2 and would do some HIIT in there also. :) usually 5-6 times per week at 5-7 miles.

I did go to the gym yesterday and lift. Took it pretty easy just because it has been 7 weeks and honestly, didn't want to be too sore today. Lol. You know how we get...jump in both feet first and go too hard, too heavy, too soon. So I am slightly sore, worked legs, and I can still go to the restroom with little pain (in my legs) Lmao. It felt great to be doing what I love!!!

Honestly, I felt good enough to get back at it at 4 weeks, but went with my drs orders. He's been right so far. ;)

I can see how it's going to be more difficult as I get where I can do more, as far as nutrients go. I'll have to throw in another snack to compensate for what is coming off, and just for energy to make it.

Going to try cross fit for the first time this next week. I am a long distance runner as well as a fast 5 k runner. However, I am not very strong due to some lost muscles. What advice do you have for making the most out of crossfit for a person like me?

Hey Fiddleman,

Good for you trying something new! So my advice is several things. First, make sure that you are going to a reputable crossfit gym. One that focuses on proper lifting technique and safety. Not all crossfit gym's are created equal. If the coaches are not watching you like a hawk especially in the beginning and helping you with the form of your lifts, you may want to reconsider going to another crossfit. Second, you are at an advantage already endurance wise which is a big part of crossfit. It is not all about heavy lifting. When is does come to the lifting portion though, realized that crossfit is adaptable to ALL people in any way, shape or form. EVERYONE can do crossfit, even with injuries or disabilities. With that being said, it is great to have other people around you to "compete" with to motivate you to do your best but you CAN NOT compare yourself to others. Everyone is at different levels. What you need to do it focus on yourself and the strides you are taking to increase your strength. And increases in strength WILL COME. You may find like a lot of us that you are stronger at some lifts than others and increases in strength come easier and not so much with others. That can sometimes be frustrating but continue to push through and work on your weaknesses and Celebrate your strengths. I hope this helps some. I could tell you more if you are interested, just PM me. :)

I walked. A lot. Wear my HR monitor and kept it in pretty much in zone 2 and would do some HIIT in there also. :) usually 5-6 times per week at 5-7 miles.

I did go to the gym yesterday and lift. Took it pretty easy just because it has been 7 weeks and honestly, didn't want to be too sore today. Lol. You know how we get...jump in both feet first and go too hard, too heavy, too soon. So I am slightly sore, worked legs, and I can still go to the restroom with little pain (in my legs) Lmao. It felt great to be doing what I love!!!

Honestly, I felt good enough to get back at it at 4 weeks, but went with my drs orders. He's been right so far. ;)

I can see how it's going to be more difficult as I get where I can do more, as far as nutrients go. I'll have to throw in another snack to compensate for what is coming off, and just for energy to make it.

You walked 5-7 miles a day?!? That is like 2 hours of walking!! Not that I couldn't do it, just the time that it would take. But I guess with driving time it takes me 2 hours for crossfit too.

I totally get the jumping in with both feet thing. Hope you are not too sore from the other day. Makes you walk and move like you are 90 years old! haha What are you doing to keep your Protein and nutrient levels up? That is a HUGE concern on mine. I went to crossfit yesterday morning after having only 150 calories (I am on 2 week 800 calorie liquid only pre op diet) and I was sluggish. Could feel my muscles fatiguing quickly and wanting to give out. It was a bit brutal. And I am sore as hell today. I now FULLY believe in my after workout Protein recovery drink. I NEVER feel this sore normally.

You walked 5-7 miles a day?!?

I walk anywhere from 4-5 miles a day. It takes about 65-75 minutes depending on the terrain.

You walked 5-7 miles a day?!? That is like 2 hours of walking!! Not that I couldn't do it' date=' just the time that it would take. But I guess with driving time it takes me 2 hours for crossfit too.

I totally get the jumping in with both feet thing. Hope you are not too sore from the other day. Makes you walk and move like you are 90 years old! haha What are you doing to keep your Protein and nutrient levels up? That is a HUGE concern on mine. I went to crossfit yesterday morning after having only 150 calories (I am on 2 week 800 calorie liquid only pre op diet) and I was sluggish. Could feel my muscles fatiguing quickly and wanting to give out. It was a bit brutal. And I am sore as hell today. I now FULLY believe in my after workout Protein recovery drink. I NEVER feel this sore normally.[/quote']

That's the exact way I thought about it: I usually go to the gym, lift, sauna, come home and I've invested almost 2 hours, so me spending that time walking is ok. It takes me about 1:45 - 1:50 to walk 7 miles. I don't walk a 15 min. Mile so I don't finish 4 miles in 60 mins. My pace is 17:40-18:00 min. mile, and I hit several crosswalks. I hit "pause" because I want a very accurate pace reading. Lol. Sounds ridiculous, but I'm a numbers person and goes back to my end goal so I do track them.

Ok...so to keep my protein and nutrients up....It is still very tough for me. I'm sure I will need to tweak it as I go, but for walking, I definitely still have to get in Protein shakes to get mine. I have kept my protein/carbs/fat ratio at 50/30/20 and its has been working great for me. I little over 7 weeks post-op and have lost weight consistently. (Knock on wood) i added shrimp because my sleeve loves it, portable enough to travel, quick, and high protein! My sleeve doesn't like chicken right now. It's crazy. Pre-op, I swear I could grow feathers and lay eggs, not now. Unless its canned, the sleeve doesn't like it. Hopefully that will change. But the shrimp is high in protein and it works out. I will also say that I am not getting many calories. I have attempted to add some every single week, so as to avoid a stall. Right now, I PUSH for 700 (week 7) and I am stuffed and not hungry. I could be wrong, but I think that is pretty good.

Once I start lifting again 3-4 days a week and cycling, I will tweak the ratios, as needed. I stand on my feet 8-10 hours a day for work so I know that I needed my carbs higher than other post-op peeps or I probably would have passed out. Lol

Hey Fiddleman' date='

Good for you trying something new! So my advice is several things. First, make sure that you are going to a reputable crossfit gym. One that focuses on proper lifting technique and safety. Not all crossfit gym's are created equal. If the coaches are not watching you like a hawk especially in the beginning and helping you with the form of your lifts, you may want to reconsider going to another crossfit. Second, you are at an advantage already endurance wise which is a big part of crossfit. It is not all about heavy lifting. When is does come to the lifting portion though, realized that crossfit is adaptable to ALL people in any way, shape or form. EVERYONE can do crossfit, even with injuries or disabilities. With that being said, it is great to have other people around you to "compete" with to motivate you to do your best but you CAN NOT compare yourself to others. Everyone is at different levels. What you need to do it focus on yourself and the strides you are taking to increase your strength. And increases in strength WILL COME. You may find like a lot of us that you are stronger at some lifts than others and increases in strength come easier and not so much with others. That can sometimes be frustrating but continue to push through and work on your weaknesses and Celebrate your strengths. I hope this helps some. I could tell you more if you are interested, just PM me. :)[/quote']

What do you think of this one? They were voted best in western Washington for personal trainers.

http://crossfitsnohomish.com/index.html

I am going to call them today and see about starting. They are about 10-15 min away and are a little further out from other crossfit locations, but I like the fact that their personal trainers got the best in western Washington award. I am looking forward to really toning up and getting stronger.

I walk anywhere from 4-5 miles a day. It takes about 65-75 minutes depending on the terrain.

I did this too for the first 3 months. Highly recommended because it is low impact, but very effective at burning off the fat. I was probably out on average 1.5 hours every day taking my dog for a walk and got to the point of walking fairly fast. I don't walk so much any more because of running, but I still think it is a really good exercise for anyone after the surgery.