Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

falling off the wagon - help!

I'm in the lose before you schedule phase of my journey. While some days are great (and I'm 7 lbs down in about a month), other days I fall 'off the wagon' and when I do, I fall off, slide down a hill into a puddle of chocolate (or chips, etc). I know the sleeve will help with actual hunger but I have some serious bad habits of what I now call and know as head hunger.

How did you all get around your head hunger/bad patterns? Will power is not my strength past the 2-3 week 'honeymoon' period. Any help or advice would be appreciated - I think many of us have been in this same position.

Thanks

My advise would be to get rid of all those tempting foods and other sliders from your cupboards. I know it sounds totally unhelpful - but in my experiece, whenever I feel that I dont have the will power to say no, I just try to avoid temptation.

Dont give up - this is a golden chance to improve our health and lifestyle. All the best! :)

I got around the head hunger by eating more Protein or low carb sweets like the Atkins bars. Also I told myself, "I'll eat the high Protein low carb stuff first, if I still want the ice cream, I'll have some." Most of the time, I didn't get around to eating the ice cream, other times I did. It got easier the more I did it.

And I did like vjslim suggested, remove the temptations from your house. If I really wanted something so bad, I'd have to get in the car and drive down to the store.

It worked really well, I have to really really want something to get dressed and drive to the store at 9 at night!

But I'm sure there is surveillance footage of me buying a cherry pie at Wal-Mart late at night. :P

But I'm sure there is surveillance footage of me buying a cherry pie at Wal-Mart late at night. :P

joatsaint

:lol: :lol:

:D :D

I have to really really want something to get dressed and drive to the store at 9 at night.

Can I have some :P

On a serious note though. The "honeymoon" phase of a diet I know well!

It happened after being sleeved too. You know... you've lost some weight, feel good but want to fall of the wagon and eat something yummy! The difference now is the lack if capacity to eat much. And I know that what I eat has to count (protein, veg).

So though I do get pouty about it sometimes I have been able to get past that falling off the wagon part.

And the pre op diet?? Well you just have to muscle through it, because the surgeon needs you to do it ( various reasons)

Good luck to you!

Laura

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are only committed in a lose emotional way.

You're probably just not ready. When you are ready, you will stop this foolishness. You know as well as everyone else that having that stuff in your home, or eating it when you are out is setting you up to fail, but you are doing it anyway, so you need to get a handle on why. If you have an eating disorder you need to deal with that. If you are just the type of person who doesn't fully commit to anything, weight loss surgery probably isn't for you. It doesn't get any easier after they cut you open, contrary to what you may have in mind.

I don't mean to come down on you hard, but I don't want you to make an enormous mistake.

Not exactly the support I was looking for NurseGrace. I don't think it's fair for you to assume I'm only committed emotionally. If I could have just "stopped this foolishness" - I would not be here in the first place. I know it's a lifestyle change and am fully committed to it. I went from 2500 calories a day to 1200 - overnight. It's hard and that's all I'm saying. I was HOPING for some support and advice how to get through this and THANK YOU for those who have replied already. I have two boys and a husband - all of who can eat anything. I try and only have healthy Snacks and ones I don't like around but I can't, nor should I keep them from having the occasional cookie if they want it - it's my issue, not theirs. I just need some strength from this community.

I appreciate the 'walk to the store' idea. I'll try that for sure! I also brush my teeth when I put the kids to bed. It's the afternoon (between 2 and dinner) that's hard for me but interestingly enough - it used to be between Breakfast and lunch that was the hardest. If I can get over this 'hump' in the day - I'll be golden. I need to get a project to help pass that time until I can establish a good habit.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are only committed in a lose emotional way.

You're probably just not ready. When you are ready, you will stop this foolishness. You know as well as everyone else that having that stuff in your home, or eating it when you are out is setting you up to fail, but you are doing it anyway, so you need to get a handle on why. If you have an eating disorder you need to deal with that. If you are just the type of person who doesn't fully commit to anything, weight loss surgery probably isn't for you. It doesn't get any easier after they cut you open, contrary to what you may have in mind.

I don't mean to come down on you hard, but I don't want you to make an enormous mistake.

Not exactly the support I was looking for NurseGrace. I don't think it's fair for you to assume I'm only committed emotionally. If I could have just "stopped this foolishness" - I would not be here in the first place. I know it's a lifestyle change and am fully committed to it. I went from 2500 calories a day to 1200 - overnight. It's hard and that's all I'm saying. I was HOPING for some support and advice how to get through this and THANK YOU for those who have replied already. I have two boys and a husband - all of who can eat anything. I try and only have healthy Snacks and ones I don't like around but I can't, nor should I keep them from having the occasional cookie if they want it - it's my issue, not theirs. I just need some strength from this community.

I appreciate the 'walk to the store' idea. I'll try that for sure! I also brush my teeth when I put the kids to bed. It's the afternoon (between 2 and dinner) that's hard for me but interestingly enough - it used to be between Breakfast and lunch that was the hardest. If I can get over this 'hump' in the day - I'll be golden. I need to get a project to help pass that time until I can establish a good habit.

I know it's hard with kids and a husband! I have two children and a husband and all are extremely fit, even on the skinny side.. So it's hard not to have a least a couple of "bad choices" in the house!

Like I said before its only for a little while.. Can you spread out your food so You can have something every 2 to3 hours?

I appreciate the 'walk to the store' idea. I'll try that for sure! I also brush my teeth when I put the kids to bed. It's the afternoon (between 2 and dinner) that's hard for me but interestingly enough - it used to be between breakfast and lunch that was the hardest. If I can get over this 'hump' in the day - I'll be golden. I need to get a project to help pass that time until I can establish a good habit.

Sorry, I think I didn't make my intentions clear. I'm not trying to shame you, but from my observation there is a clear difference between people who have made up their minds to make the change, and people who are dipping their toes into the Water. What I mean to say is that if you need to take a week, or a month to wrap your head around all of this you should, because if you are only half doing the diet, its going to prolong the suffering. I understand, I went from an average of 3000ish calories a day too. If you can make up your mind to go balls to the walls with this dieting phase though, it will go SO MUCH FASTER. The work doesn't stop after surgery, but things get a little more... tolerable, and that is what you want, right? We all want that, its why we had surgery Put your whole heart and soul into this when you are ready, you'll be glad you did.

And your right, it was a little forward of me to say that you MAY NOT be ready. I don't claim to know that for a fact, but I have been through weight loss surgery twice, once with a band and now with the sleeve, I have a lot of years of experience under my belt and sometimes I call things like I see them. Apologies for that if it doesn't apply to you.

I do want to say something about something you said to me though. When someone says "that wasn't what I was looking for" that almost always means they expected cushy support rather than a straightforward analysis of what more experienced people think of the situation. I'm not much of a hand holder and sometimes I don't think thats what people really need. You seem like an intelligent person, you know what you need to do, but for some reason you are not doing it. I am pushing you to consider what you are waiting for. If you are truly ready, you need to adjust your behavior to match your mindset.

We're all fat here, we have all done a thousand diets, we all know that Protein is better than sugar, we know every dieting trick in the book. Nearly all heavy people don't have a knowledge problem, we have behavior problems.

I found that time of the day was hardest for me too!! I am fortunate enough that my daughter and husband helped me clean out the house so I no longer have the temptation. But what did help was eating more of my daily calories and huge Protein in meal 1. It makes me feel so full that I think about snacking but couldn't even if I wanted to lately. You will be ok and just hop back on the bandwagon. We just went on a cruise and those temptations were too much. So I did have a little but basically tasted and spit lol. Good luck and if my daughter (16) wants some of those foods she keeps them in her room or in basement where I don't have to see them.

I am on the pre op diet and am also looking for ideas during those week times of the day. One thing that has worked for me is making a slurpee with crystal light in my bullet with crushed ice and Water blended until it's like a slurpee. It is a real treat but more importantly, I am getting my water in and by the time I finish it, usually I am past/over my weak moment.

Sorry, I think I didn't make my intentions clear. I'm not trying to shame you, but from my observation there is a clear difference between people who have made up their minds to make the change, and people who are dipping their toes into the Water. What I mean to say is that if you need to take a week, or a month to wrap your head around all of this you should, because if you are only half doing the diet, its going to prolong the suffering. I understand, I went from an average of 3000ish calories a day too. If you can make up your mind to go balls to the walls with this dieting phase though, it will go SO MUCH FASTER. The work doesn't stop after surgery, but things get a little more... tolerable, and that is what you want, right? We all want that, its why we had surgery Put your whole heart and soul into this when you are ready, you'll be glad you did.

And your right, it was a little forward of me to say that you MAY NOT be ready. I don't claim to know that for a fact, but I have been through weight loss surgery twice, once with a band and now with the sleeve, I have a lot of years of experience under my belt and sometimes I call things like I see them. Apologies for that if it doesn't apply to you.

I do want to say something about something you said to me though. When someone says "that wasn't what I was looking for" that almost always means they expected cushy support rather than a straightforward analysis of what more experienced people think of the situation. I'm not much of a hand holder and sometimes I don't think thats what people really need. You seem like an intelligent person, you know what you need to do, but for some reason you are not doing it. I am pushing you to consider what you are waiting for. If you are truly ready, you need to adjust your behavior to match your mindset.

We're all fat here, we have all done a thousand diets, we all know that Protein is better than sugar, we know every dieting trick in the book. Nearly all heavy people don't have a knowledge problem, we have behavior problems.

Darn it NurseGrace - YOU'RE RIGHT! :rolleyes: I need a kick in the butt - I didn't need hand holding - I needed to hear from others - whether it's tips, tricks or simply - get off your couch and move! I think I also need to be a little easier on myself - and set myself up for now and the future. Meaning - load on protein at lunch and keep reminding myself why I'm doing this! If I am not ready - I need to be able to admit that to myself. You make a great point - if I'm not ready - I'm destined to fail. If I am truly ready - I just need to keep my eye on the target. I'm sorry if I came off gruff to you - I do appreciate your advice and the time you took to respond (twice). :)

I am on the pre op diet and am also looking for ideas during those week times of the day. One thing that has worked for me is making a slurpee with crystal light in my bullet with crushed ice and Water blended until it's like a slurpee. It is a real treat but more importantly, I am getting my water in and by the time I finish it, usually I am past/over my weak moment.

Good idea! I think having something other than just plain water (Crystal Light, Mio, etc) will also help.