Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected symptoms Post-Op...who would of thought, not this nurse

I was sleeved 2/12, everything was going well...I was getting my Protein and fluids in, and felt better each day. On day 5 I noticed I started having palpitations (an irregular beat of the heart that happens every so often) and my heart would race at times. I thought, this is weird the last time I had experienced palpitations it was when I was doing extreme dieting and exercising. Post-op day 6 comes and I started getting ready for my first doctors appointment since surgery, as well as my first day of leaving the house, and wasn't feeling right. I had gone down the basement stairs and when I came back up I felt extremely short of breath and my heart was racing. I figured this was just fatigue from surgery and my body was feeling weak. By the time I got to the doctors office I felt horrible, I was sweaty, my heart was racing, and had that feeling of "not good". My heart rate was 120! My surgeon was immediately concerned that I had a leak, but I had no pain. After blood work, a Ekg, CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvis the conclusion was...dehydration. I was shocked, I hadn't had any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or pain...I was getting in all of my fluids and Protein, how could this be?! I obviously was glad that it wasn't anything more serious, like a leak or my gallbladder, but it goes to show that everyone is different. Just because you are doing what you should be and meeting all the goals by your doctor, it doesn't necessarily mean that your body is satisified with that.

Here is the shocker...I'm an ER nurse! I knew that tachycardia (fast heart rate) was a sign of dehydration, but I was reaching my Fluid goals and was urinating appropriately with light colored urine (yellow/dark urine is a sign of dehydration). But, my body wasn't satisfied with that...just goes to show everyone is different and you need to communicate with your doctor with all symptoms that you have. My surgeon had me stay over night at the hospital to receive some IV fluids and to watch my heart rate. The next day, today, I feel like a million bucks! So even if your doing everything right, keep any eye out for anything unusual, you know your body the best.

glad it all worked out for you...I know that must have been scary

Glad that you are feeling better, as you said everyones body has slightly different Fluid requirements. Guess you will have to step up your fluid intake a bit, but now you know what to look for. Good luck!

Glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the info

Glad you're doing better.

Maybe mix some G2 in with your Water to help with hydration.

Do you think sodium is an issue in our liquid diets? I don't think that Protein has much. I started worrying about that and after a few days drank an ounce of Tomato juice sprinkled with a little salt.

Very informative, thanks for posting. I think it's very easy to get dehydrated your first week. In my case, I was drinking a lot but also had constant diarrhea, which is how I lost most of the 18-19 lbs of Fluid that I gained in the hospital. That's a lot to lose in a few days, even if it is fluid (a lot to gain in a few days too!). Even though I was drinking over 64 oz of water/day, I wasn't urinating that much b/c so much of the fluid was used up from the GI issues. I am drinking more than ever before at 2 weeks post op but notice if I don't drink for a couple of hours, my pee immediately turns dark (would have take a day or two post-op). I think it's bc we aren't getting much fluid from food and our bodies are working OT to heal and (hopefully) lose weight. Glad you are feeling better!!!

Glad u ok

Glad that you are feeling better, as you said everyones body has slightly different Fluid requirements. Guess you will have to step up your Fluid intake a bit, but now you know what to look for. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm feeling much better. I have really stepped up my fluids and am much more aware of "early symptoms". :)

Do you think sodium is an issue in our liquid diets? I don't think that Protein has much. I started worrying about that and after a few days drank an ounce of Tomato juice sprinkled with a little salt.

I would agree that we probably aren't getting the sodium we need. I was so focused on getting my Water and protein that I never had any broth which would have definitly would have helped. Now that my diet has been bumped up, I put crushed sea salt on my potatoes...and I'm drinking a ton more water. ;)