Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is pasta really that bad for you, when you can only eat 2oz ?

i miss italian food bad!!! is having Pasta truly bad for you during weight loss if you can only have 2 oz? i mean it wouldnt be an everyday occurrence.

When my husband makes spaghetti I measure myself out 1/4 cup of noodles. I have been eating limited carbs like that and am doing fine so far with my weightloss. I am 9 weeks out and my sleeve tolerates everything so far.

-Kendra

i miss italian food bad!!! is having Pasta truly bad for you during weight loss if you can only have 2 oz? i mean it wouldnt be an everyday occurrence.

As far as "bad" some sleevers simply can't tolerate it anymore after the sleeve.

But assuming you could, it would be "bad" because it could really fill you up... And it has no real value to it (protein) we have so little space that the focus needs to be on Protein consumption first,

Veggies second etc...

I was cleared to have rice and Pasta around month 3. I don't and can't eat much at all. I have to be extremely careful to make sure that I focus on eating my Protein first before I eat my pasta or rice.

I use dreamfield Pasta it is low carb. taste like regular pasta. It says on box only like 5 gram carbs or something close to that. I do know it doesnt run my blood sugar up like regular pasta does. So it must be very low carb.

The problem is the expansion of the Pasta in your stomach. even though you aren't eating that much when it expands in your stomach it puts pressure on your sutures/staples. remember the part of the stomach that was removed was the stretchy part. You might want to look for the ricotta bake recipe, or i personally make spaghetti sauce and eat it with a spoon without any noodles. Their are also tofu pastas and kale pasta but i am not positive if they expand or not like regular pasta, possibly someone else will have better info on those.

Spaghetti squash?

I am (was) a HUGE Pasta eater too. I find since my surgery (4 weeks ago today) on no longer have the cravings for carbs. I do love the cheese, sauce and meat though so I made lasagna with out the pasta and I'll tell you I didn't miss the pasta one bit! Make some small meatballs, 1 1/2 inch in diameter, or a about 2 oz each. Put them in crockpot with a jar of your favorite sauce or home made. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. When done, smash with a fork a meatball, two TBS sauce and throw two tbs of ricotta cheese on top, it's delish! Also, when I am feeling like I want just try some of the foods I'm avoiding, I remind myself that this is the weight loss period so stay focused on why you had the surgery to begin with. If you just can't resist then try a trick a friend of mine who had bypass 10 years ago told me-take a bite, chew it very well and spit it out.

The ricotta bake recipe has quelled by cravings for Pasta. Quite yummy and easy to make

Spaghetti squash?

I think that is a good alternative, especially since that is a vegetable. For some reason mine NEVER come out just right, either is is too mushy or crunchy. I guess I just need more practice with it and it really fills you up!

I didn't do this so I could never eat again :) Most people aren't allowed Pasta until their stomach is healed so that shouldn't be a concern. Some people tollerate it better than others. My family goes to spaghetti night every Wednesday at my friends local restaurant. I have meat sauce with Pasta (I can only eat about 1/3 cup pasta with some sauce...total 1/2 cup food) and I love it. I never go over my carb limits and I also plan it so I meet my Protein goals.

And I have it with a nice glass of red wine :P

This should be life with the sleeve. Kale pasta? BLEH (sorry but umm BLEH)

If I have something like spaghetti carbonara at home I do make it with whole wheat pasta which I enjoy. Still not much, but I enjoy it on occasion and I'm losing weight just fine. :)

The ricotta bake recipe has quelled by cravings for Pasta. Quite yummy and easy to make

HELP where can I get this recipe? Thanks Tina

No, Pasta is not the devil. As far as your weight loss goes you need to monitor your carbs to an extent, especially if you are not working out hard but I think we would all do ourselves a giant favor to stop demonizing food. What we should be looking down on is letting food, inanimate objects have that much power over us that we think of them in terms of good and evil.

the whole 'its not a diet its a lifestyle' phrase is so tired and cliche but for me, it rings true. You are not going to go your whole life never eating certain things. You should measure out an appropriate serving according to what you can handle and what your doctor advises, enjoy your meal and carry on with your life.

Chances are you know everything you need to know about protein/carbs/fat but not every meal will fit some type of ideal picture - just please, be reasonable. Don't graze on it all night and you probably shouldn't eat it 3 days in a row.

You can also make manicotti or lasagna but instead of using noodles, cut zuchinni length wise, very thin and grill so it's a little crispy. It tastes just as good, and you're getting a veggie :)

I didn't do this so I could never eat again :) Most people aren't allowed Pasta until their stomach is healed so that shouldn't be a concern. Some people tollerate it better than others.

I wasn't trying to imply people should never eat pasta again, sorry if it came off that way. Since the original poster is only 2 months post op it is probably a little early for regular starchy pasta in my opinion, but maybe i'm wrong about when the stomach is healed enough to take that chance.