Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve Revision with a BMI of 29?

I was banded on 12/12/11. I have had many problems with the band from leaking and no restriction to reflux, stomach discomfort when eating, and constant heartburn. My Dr. put in for a band to sleeve revision due to band complications and I just got a letter from the insurance company saying it was approved. I have gone from 207lbs to about 160 pounds but it has been a very uncomfortable ride and I worry what kind of problems I will have in the future if I am already having problems after only 1 year. I really didnt think my insurance would approve it with a BMI of only 29. I have never heard of anyone with this low BMI have the revision. I was wondering what kind of guidance those who have the sleeve or are on their way there may have. My Dr. says your body will only lose so much weight and then plateau. I am very nervous about this whole situation.

A lot of revisions are done on low BMIs. I wish I would have know about the sleeve before I had too many problems with the band. Don't wait if you're having issues.

Glad you got approved. Good luckk!

you will be much happier with the sleeve. non of the issues you describe. good luck!

I was sleeved with a lower BMI- 25. I weighed 147 the day of surgery-- I lost to 128, I back and steady at 130- BMI 22. Don't be afraid- BMI of 29 is still overweight. This is a lifestyle change NOT a quick or temporary fix for fatness. Embrace it for the opportunity it is and sing the praises for your one of the lucky ones. I self paid as it was an exclusion on my ins. No one will here will feel sorry for the overweight, not obese chic who got approved for a sleeve-- complaining about a granted blessing you asked for is a double edged sword. GREATEST thing ever having a sleeve not a band !!!

Congratulations, unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky....I was band in 2008. It was removed in 10/2012 bc it cracked and caused internal abrasions. I requested the sleeve and even though my BMI was 30 the insurance company refused. We requested it twice and both times it has been denied. I recently changed insurance company...now on bobs and hopefully it will be approved since my BMI is now at 36.1. I feel so disgusted . If it doesn't happen his time I think ill just go to Mexico but really don't want o. These insurance companies are so malicious. They take all our money and when it comes to things like his they get away with it.

All in all I won't give up. This is for my health, my family and for myself. And I will get it done

Sherry, my dear, I'm going to put this as calm as I can... take it and RUN with it!!

There are so many of us who have had horror stories that started like yours. I was banded, I was successful... 100lbs down successful. Then I started having problems. When my band needed to come out I didn't have the sleeve option, it just wasn't really around yet. Oh how I wish it had been. I ended up losing my band and battling insurance for a year to get it back, unsuccessfully, and gaining all my weight back in the meantime. I self paid for a new band, which never worked to get the weight I had regained back off. And here I am now, finally ready financially to self pay yet again for the sleeve revision. If I had a magic wand, I would have gone from my first band to a sleeve and never done this 10 year roller coaster and I would have been HEALTHY this whole time.

I know it doesn't seem like the normal path to a sleeve. And honestly, it isn't. But bands are failing. Over and over again, for a lot of people. If I could go back and get insurance approval and revise back when I was 100lbs down, ESP knowing what I know now?! I couldn't have run into that O.R. fast enough! lol Your doctor is right, your body will only lose what you need to lose and then you will plateau... even with the sleeve, you will likely plateau about 10lbs before you'd like to! :)

If you were my sister, I'd be begging you to do this for yourself! Best of luck whatever you choose!!!

Thanks for all your feedback. Saw my Dr. yesterday and revision is scheduled for May 1st. Nervous and excited at the same time.

I had a low BMI of 32 and my doctor revised me when he took the band out that had slipped. I didn't know I was going to be revised so I was concerned I'd waste away. After the initial 2 week loss of 17lbs my weight loss has slowed down a lot. I've only lost like 4lbs even with having calories under 1,000 a day.

Thanks for all your feedback. Saw my Dr. yesterday and revision is scheduled for May 1st. Nervous and excited at the same time.

I had a low BMI of 32 and my doctor revised me when he took the band out that had slipped. I didn't know I was going to be revised so I was concerned I'd waste away. After the initial 2 week loss of 17lbs my weight loss has slowed down a lot. I've only lost like 4lbs even with having calories under 1,000 a day.

Sherry... dude... I don't even know you and I feel so relieved to hear that!! hahaha Seriously. Those of us that have been down that path and didn't end up with your result have had a really tough road to get back to where you are now. I know it has to be really nerve wracking, but it sounds like your doctor and even more surprisingly your insurance really have your back!! :)

And Surprised... I know this has been a really REALLY hard adjustment for you given the way things happened, but I think once things settle and you get adjusted, you'll be relieved that you didn't have to struggle with the ups and downs of losing the band, then waiting for a revision and the havoc that can wreak on your body. Still thinkin of you!! Hope you're feeling better about things!!