Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Owie... Owie... Owie

Hi everyone... I had an episode of pain last night that really scared me and I thought I would just check to see if perhaps it is a "normal" part of being banded before I call my surgeon today.

I have not been having very much pain at all with exception of port discomfort. I had mashed potatoes for dinner... followed 2 hrs later with a large glass of Water... evening meds of 1/2 tab Zoloft and 1/2 tab Flexeril ( very small... not crushed ) and then onto an exciting night of watching T.V. Later on had a horrible headache and couldn't get comfortable d/t muscle spasms in the port region so I took some of my liquid pain med thinking that would help.... WRONG. Within minutes I had severe epigastric pain that went through me and between my shoulder blades... it felt like a tight fist. I paced in the house for 3 hours... the pain would at times subside and then return like a muscle spasm. I only stoped pacing because I was absolutely exhausted!

This morning I still feel uncomfortable in the epigastric area but it is nothing compared to lastnight. I am drinking coffee as I type and it seems to be going down without a problem. I still feel a "pressure sensation between my shoulder blades???? Is it possible that my band has slipped (a fear that sits in my mind constantly) or could the build up of gas cause this type of discomfort after banding????

Yikes... I hope I get past this fragile feeling... always worried that I am going to move the wrong way or eat or drink just a little too much... what a big baby huh...

Darcy

Darcy, it may indeed be nothing but it's probably a good idea to talk to your doc about it anyway. Will you be having a checkup anytime soon? I think it's very unlikely your band has slipped but that sort of pain does seem unusual.

Good luck!

Thanks Alex... My next post-op check is a month from today. Maybe I will just stick to liquids today and see how I feel. I also had the hiccups and and the burps during the whole episode. Maybe it was just a big build up of gas in my tummy???? Also... they removed my gall bladder and the fat content in my pureed food was higher than usual yesterday... maybe that's it???? I'm really just trying to do everything possible to NOT call my surgeon... thinking of talking to his office staff makes me a wee bit sick to my stomach. I'll call if the pain returns... maybe... ;)

OY... thanks again Alex...

Darcy -

Did you flush the meds through with lots of Water last night? Sounds like when you took your liquid pain killer that there was a pill still in the pouch that blocked the stoma, and therefore your liquid meds backed up on you. The pouch is really only a swallow or two big - so if the stoma is blocked it's easy to get backed-up really fast.

Sticking to liquids is a good idea for today. And unless you have been vomiting, it is unlikely that your band has slipped.

Feel better!

Hi Darcy,

I had a similar incident 3 weeks after surgery. (I am about six weeks out now.) I had a painful incident with a possible pea skin stuck. It doesn't seem possible, but that's the only explanation. I had residual pain for about 3 days. All the while I was thinking, OMG I've slipped my band! It finally went away and all is fine. I called my doctor and was advised to do just what I had been doing: heating pad, warm tea, liquids for a couple days.

I worry about every little thing, and it's kind of embarrassing. But things are getting better. More experience, less worry.

Hope things just keep getting better for you, too. You are not alone in your worries!

Donali... Let me tell ya... if that's what it feels like when the ole sink gets plugged... I'll do ANYTHING to never have it happen again! I did follow the meds with a little Water but I usually never take two pills at once... perhaps that was the mistake. No worries on anything but liquids today because I am scared to death to consume anything else! Thanks for easing my mind... HUGE ((((hugs)))) and hope you are recovering well from your surgery???

Rebecca... Seeing that you had a similar incident really eases my mind as well! Maybe mine was a pill instead of a pea! Here I was counting the says until I could start a mechanical soft diet and now I'm to scared to eat applesauce! I may do the liquids again tomorrow as I too have residual discomfort. On the bright side... I probably walked a mile or two with my pacing last night!

Needless to say... I am sooooooooo thankful that I can come to this site and get feedback when stuff like this happens... I can't imagine going through this alone. OODLES of gratitude being sent your way ladies...

Darcy

Darcy ...I had some pain similiar to that a few weeks after my surgery and I thaught it was gas. My pain did not last that long. My doctor said no large pills for a while. I am still afraid of large pills but have no problem with a lot of smaller ones. Hang in there. Also I had to see my doctor after 4 weeks out. Hope everything goes better Love Janie

Darcy ...I had some pain similiar to that a few weeks after my surgery and I thaught it was gas. My pain did not last that long. My doctor said no large pills for a while. I am still afraid of large pills but have no problem with a lot of smaller ones. Hang in there. Also I had to see my doctor after 4 weeks out. Hope everything goes better Love Janie

So sorry you were scared! I know what it's like to feel like any minute you're just going to die. But, I'd have to agree with everyone else- probably got a pill stuck in the stoma and everything backed up from there.

I know I can't do potatos at all- ever since banding. Even runny mashed ones seem to combine into a ball in my baby band stomach. Maybe avoid them?

I had a little incident that caught me by surprise (see, even a 9 month out bandster has stuff happen!). I was feeding my dogs a Kong with Peanut Butter in it, and I took a spoonful for myself...then I took my birth control pill (why I continue taking them when I"m not gettin' any is beyond me...but whatever) with a big gulp of Water. And OH MY GOD the cold Water made the Peanut Butter stop up my stoma and up came the water!! It was so strange...a good lesson in being patient with my little band.

I have a very touchy stomach, so anytime I have an incident likeyou had I stick to liquids for the day...seems to keep the swelling down.

I'd still ask your doctor since I don't really get how all the guts work...but don't worry so much! You're body is strong and will be able to take your early band mistakes....

Megan

Darcy, i alway find if i have the cramps in my stomach Hot Drinks as hot as you can stand and little sips!. The gas from surgery does take a little while to leave the system, i hope you are feeling better, in any case though we are not DR and if you do get a lot of pain you must see your Doctor!.

You guys are awesome... I went from totally freaked out to calm and collected just because of the information you all have shared with me!

I did only liquids yesterday and took all of my medications without incident. My stomach still feels a little touchy but at least it doesn't eel like an alien is going to burst out at any moment! ;) I'm officially able to start on the mechanical soft diet today instead of pureed but am going to take it VEEEEERY slow! I don't think that I want to learn this lesson very often but at least the next time it happens it won't be as frightening.

One thing is for sure... I am feeling better and better everyday!

Megan... keep on taking those pills cause you are a cutie and there will come a time that you will be glad they are on board!

Tina... thanks for the advice on the Hot drinks... I love my morning coffee and maybe I'll add hot tea sometime in the afternoon or in the evening.

Janie... I just hate taking crushed meds so hopefully I won't ever have to take anything bigger than a pea!

Off for my morning walk!

Darcy