Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seminar Questions...

I called on Monday to speak to Dr Ronnie Keith in Norman, OK. His staff scheduled me for his seminar this Thursday...which is right around the corner! Anyway, things are moving pretty fast and I have a few questions from people who have experience with seminars.

What should I expect from the seminar? For example: Will they weigh me and send my information off to UHC? My BMI is about 2 points (10 pounds) away from the 40-BMI requirement and I dont think I am going to gain that much weight in such a short amount of time...and I dont want anything to go wrong with my approval. My co-worker (she just got her approval letter!) did not go to a seminar but she told me that our UHC policy is very strict on the 40 BMI stiplulation, regardless of other medical conditions.

Anyway, I am sure seminars are all different, but I would like to hear your personal experiences with them. Thanks!!! :hungry:

Stephanee

The seminar I attended was a presentation by the surgeon and question/answer session. Also they handed out information flyers. There was no one-on-one at all, as far as weighing, filling out forms, etc.

The seminar I went to was pretty much an overview. They went over what the surgery was, what to expect from it, that sort of thing. They had a couple of people who had the band speak, and answered questions. Then if you were interested, you could make an appointment for a consultation. No weighing in or anything like that at all.

WHEW! Thank you ladies for your quick response. I always end up thinking that everything is "all about me"...hehe

Silly, of course it's not all about you. It's all about MEEEEE!! :heh:

Good luck, I hope you get lots of good info.

They had a form we could fill out at the seminar to have them call and schedule an appointment for more one on one, in depth discussion with the staff and/or the surgeon.

But for the most part it was as others have said, handed out lots of information, did a power point presentation, listened to a couple of people who had had the band, and had a Q&A time.

Nothing to be afraid of!!!

Kat

Yes, I discovered that different doctors do different things. The first seminar I went to (Dr Keith) did make us do a weigh in. However, they wouldnt listen to me that I was only 5'5" and that my shoes had a higher lift in them than other shoes. I ended up going to a whole new doctor and seminar. At this seminar, they did NOT weigh me. Yay! When I went in for the visit (same shoes on!) I came in at 5"6". I asked to take off my shoes and when I did, I was in fact 5'5"...which made my BMI around 40 (yuck, but true).

SO, I learned that if you want to know how a specific doctor handles things, ask them! lol, thanks for everyone sharing your experiences! :clap2: