Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lent & protein

I'm nearly 3 mos. out and been doing moderately well getting my Protein in ~ mainly with Greek yogurt & chicken (I cannot tolerate protein shakes). Being Catholic, I'm not going to be able to eat meat tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) or Fridays through Easter. It's going to be tough to get my protein in!

How about Protein Bars? I just bought Pure Protein bars at Sam's this weekend and they are good :) better than shakes IMHO about 180-200 cals depending on the flavor & 20g of protein

Me too....but I thought maybe Beans, lentils and tofu.

"Those who are excused from fast or abstinence Besides those outside the age limits, those of unsound mind, the sick, the frail, pregnant or nursing women according to need for meat or nourishment, manual laborers according to need, guests at a meal who cannot excuse themselves without giving great offense or causing enmity and other situations of moral or physical impossibility to observe the penitential discipline."

I think that we may fall in this category.....need for meat for nourishment..... What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Me too....but I thought maybe Beans, lentils and tofu.

I'm nearly 3 mos. out and been doing moderately well getting my Protein in ~ mainly with Greek yogurt & chicken (I cannot tolerate Protein shakes). Being Catholic, I'm not going to be able to eat meat tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) or Fridays through Easter. It's going to be tough to get my protein in!

Actually, you can. There is a provision for medical necessity and this definately falls into this category.

Trust me, your God does not want you to sacrifice at the cost of your health.

What is usually recommended is to find another act of penance or charity. Check out #3 below

1. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast and abstinence. The Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence in the United States.

2. The Obligation of Abstinence (refraining from eating meat) begins at the age of 14. The law of fasting (limiting oneself to one full meal and two lighter meals) obliges all between the ages of 19-59. No one should consider this obligation lightly.

3. Those individuals who have a medical condition in which fasting or abstaining may be considered harmful are not obliged to fast or abstain, but should perform some other act of penance or charity.

:

:

:

Duh. Totally blanked out on fish! I do like fish but my husband doesn't so i never make it at home. cheese would be good but all i can think of there meal wise involve Pasta (mac & cheese) or bread (pizza). Looks like I'll start making fish at home this Lenten season :)

You could eat seafood! It has lots of protein!

"Those who are excused from fast or abstinence Besides those outside the age limits' date=' those of unsound mind, the sick, the frail, pregnant or nursing women according to need for meat or nourishment, manual laborers according to need, guests at a meal who cannot excuse themselves without giving great offense or causing enmity and other situations of moral or physical impossibility to observe the penitential discipline."

I think that we may fall in this category.....need for meat for nourishment..... What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Sounds perfectly right to me!

You could maybe make a veggie chili with Beans, and/or morningstar farms veggie crumbles. You can't go wrong with chili :)