Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support needed, 5 days post op!

Hi all!

My name is Neci and I had my sleeve done 02/07/13. When I started the process in 08/12,

I was at my heightest weight of 227lbs, at 5'1.5

On the date of surgery, I weighed 209lbs. Today I weigh 205 :) I cannot say I'm the most optimistic person on planet right now. Got my Vitamins yesterday and I am repulsed by the thought of taking those forever. Also my biggest concern and main reason I got on here is this... I was under the impression that the appetite hormone ghrelin would be gone with the 70% of my stomach they removed. I also understood it would come back after about a year, which sucked, but I came to terms with it. BUT.... It is so not gone! I totally get hungry! And with avengance... Like I could eat a house type....

This is soooo upsetting. The thing is that we all know that we can stretch out our tummies, especially with time. So what that means to me is every time I'm starving I'll eat a pinch more and next time a pinch more and so on till I'm back to my original pouch size and I'll have failed. I hate to be negative so early on but that is why I am here... Any supportive thoughts welcomed!

The first week is the worst and everything is downhill from there. Everyone will say you have "head hunger" but I truly felt hungry the first couple of weeks. I just drank Water and took a prilosec and the feeling went away. I'm now seven weeks out and don't experience hunger at all. The real challenge is finding what will work for me to eat. I know when I push it and that's the whole point of having a sleeve. Look at it like this - before surgery I could eat a full serving of Pasta and meat, 2 pieces of garlic bread, salad and let's not forget dessert! My sleeve will only hold about a 1/2 cup at a time. Let's say you stretch it to double (which I doubt will happen) - you'll still only be able to get in 1 cup a food and that's way less than before. Have confidence :)

I have been taking Centrum chewable mixed fruit Vitamins. They aren't sour or sweet and I don't mind them at all. Everyone is a bit different though. Good luck to you - the first step was having the surgery and the next step is learning to live with it. I have no regrets at all.

Week 1 was pretty hard for me and i was ALWAYS hungry! I was only taking otc pepcid. At my first post op appointment I mentioned it to the Dr and he started me on a prescription strength Prevacid. Well guess what the hunger pangs are gone! At my appoinment last week he told me to take the prescription in the am and to take a pepcid at night. Becuase i have noticed that by 5 or 6 pm i start feeling alot of reflux.

Talk to your Dr. at your appointment.

As far as Vitamins, I take gummy vitamins and they dont bother me 1 bit. I feel like i am eating Gummy bears (sort of satisfies the sweet tooth) And then i also take the B12 which if you really want you can have your PCP give you a monthly shot instead. I also take Vitamin D3 and Biotin (wanna make sure my hair doesnt fall out).

I will be 5 weeks post op on thursday and like the other posters said before It does get better, easier, and it becomes a no brainer!

Good luck to you!

Me too! I'm had my surgery on 2/5 and I am freaking starving! I wouldn't even share the house I want to eat with you! Lol

You sound like you know the problem when you mention adding a bit more and a bit more and so on. Knowing that is part of the solution. Portion out all of your meals, and such, for the day and don't eat more than that. At least then you know you aren't adding more and more to what you are eating.

Just fallow what your Doctor and Nut have laid out for you and you shouldn't ruin it at all and like the other poster said, over time you will get used to it and be less hungry.

Stay optimistic.

It sucks very early on, I'll be honest with you. You're eating tiny portions. Vitamins are gross.

You'll start to really feel normal again between a weeks 6-8. It's when you can usually add in solids and then you start to realize that this isn't a life long diet. It's a lifestyle change.

I'm 11 weeks? food doesn't taste the same anymore. I use to be a carb LOVER. I could do 2-3 pounds of Pasta to myself in a day or 2. I haven't touched Pasta since pre op. I've had a small bit of rice but I don't crave it the way I use to.

You'll feel serious restriction when you get to the solids phase.

Just stay positive, measure your body, and see that this really works. I never thought that I'd lose as much as I have so far. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks but I'm down 50+ for sure. Don't become a slave to the scale. See how differently clothes fit.

There's an app called see me get fit. You can update your weight and add photos. I usually do 1 face, each arm, and full body. It's great motivation when you're down. I don't see my loss. But those pictures side by side, it's obvious how much I've lost.

Hang in there sweetie. I am on day 15 post op and the last few days I have been eating what seems to be a dozen small meals a day. A half gallon of chicken broth, countless cottage cheese mixed with skim milk spoonfulls and I still want a pizza in a bad way! I have read a ton of posts that blame acid reflux as a culprit in hunger. Try a better antacid, ask your Dr. or NUT about your crazy hunger. They have lots of ways to help you but remember... YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We are all here for ya and a good bunch of us would love a huge bowl of lasagne about now!

Thank you all sooo much! Feels great to know I'm not alone in these feelings. I will def be going to get some Pepcid and asking about Prilosec during my first post op visit. Also, I am seeing that most people are not on special Bariatric Vitamins like the ones I bought for $130, 3 months supply... ???

Thanks for posting I posted and didn't get what I wanted to hear! I though I was the only person feeling hungry post op now it's starting to make sense! Thanks

I am now 10 weeks post-op. I have struggled with feeling hungry BIG TIME! The more solid food you eat the less you will feel hungry. I have found a couple things that help with the hunger pains. You should definitely be on an antacid. Get in a minimum of 64 oz of Water a day. The more water you drink the less you will be hungry. It's hard to get hungry if you're constantly filling your sleeve up with water. Once you get to soft & solid foods veggies are your best friend. I get in my Protein first (just like the NUT ordered). I am almost always still hungry after my protein. Sometimes it only takes a few bites of veggies to then get that full feeling. As far as Vitamins, I too have a box full of very expensive bariatric vitamins. The problem was that they were so gross I wouldn't take them. I switched over to gummy vitamins (both multi & a Calcium chewable). I figure that it is better than no vitamins. Just keep pressing on. You'll be okay & will feel better the more weight that comes off. The beginning is really tough! Keep working your program & keep posting.