Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Black/Mixed Races Sleevers (hair)

OK, So I know that hair loss is pretty much inevitable. I have been growing my hair out for some time and it is really long. Its an inch or two past my bra strap. Black/mixed race hair tends to be more dry and brittle therefore it can take a long time to grow out our hair. I was wondering when you guys lost your hair was it more volume or length?? And how did you cope?

I am getting ready for the emotional loss of my hair.

Hair loss usually happens when you're not getting enough Vitamins or protien. I would make sure to continue to take your daily Multi-Vitamin, plus any other's your doc orders, and at least 70-80 grams of protien a day.

Not to be contrary, but even those who take all of their Vitamins and eat all of their Protein, can get hair loss! I find that if its going to happen its going to happen, sorry. Some people take Biotin?

And say it helps others say that it didn't help them! I am 3 months and just yesterday had a lot of hair come out in the shower, not fun :(

And I take ALL my vitamins and get my protein in everyday...

I guess what I'm saying there is no rhyme or reason on it, and we will have to deal with it, if it happens. But it comes back :)

Not to be contrary, but even those who take all of their Vitamins and eat all of their Protein, can get hair loss! I find that if its going to happen its going to happen, sorry. Some people take Biotin?

And say it helps others say that it didn't help them! I am 3 months and just yesterday had a lot of hair come out in the shower, not fun :(

And I take ALL my Vitamins and get my Protein in everyday...

It's true that if it's going to happen, it will happen. It's a HUGE change and we're not getting as much nutirents as we were getting before surgery. It's just even more likely to happen if you're not getting int he vitamins and protien. In no way am I a doctor! I'm just stating what I've heard from my doctor.

It's true that if it's going to happen' date=' it will happen. It's a HUGE change and we're not getting as much nutirents as we were getting before surgery. It's just even more likely to happen if you're not getting int he Vitamins and protien. In no way am I a doctor! I'm just stating what I've heard from my doctor.[/quote']

Yes you should always listen to your doctor!

They know what they speak of... :)

I'm mixed and I've lost a ton. I take Biotin religiously and I use Nioxin... seems like a lost cause but I keep trying. Right now I wear my hair curly because it hides the thinning more... but I also have a stock of wigs and I joke around with coworkers about wanting to switch it up when I wear them (they don't know that I had surgery). Sometimes the Hair loss gets me down, but then I remind myself that it's a small price to pay for where I am now.

I am losing quite a bit of hair. I have been adhering to all of the Protein and Vitamin guidelines, yet still experiencing loss. Seems like the majority of the loss is volume but there is some breakage so most likely I may be cutting it off and starting from scratch. I frequent the salon bi-weekly and have had protein and moisturizing treatments, and nothing has stopped the loss. I did speak with my PCP and checked blood panel and everything is normal, she seems to think that it is just part of the rapid weight loss. I will be seeing a dermatologist tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. It is what it is, It certainly isn't the worst thing that has happened in my life and may be just part of the process.....it's just hair and it will grow back. I hope you will be ok.

Not sure if you chemically treat or wear your hair natural so I wanted to add that prior to surgery I would color and relax my hair regularly, I have since suspended coloring my hair because I didn't want to add undo stress.

Not sure if you chemically treat or wear your hair natural so I wanted to add that prior to surgery I would color and relax my hair regularly, I have since suspended coloring my hair because I didn't want to add undo stress.

I decided to braid mines up and get a weave with 100% percent Indian Remy wet and wavy which will last for a while and give my hair a rest. I have been going natural for about 8 months now and have about 2 inches of relaxed hair left. But my Dr and NUT told me makes sure to take all Vitamins and stay hydrated, I have been taking Biotin for a couple of years and my hair seems to grow pretty quick and the Protein well extra protein helps greatly.

I decided to braid mines up and get a weave with 100% percent Indian Remy wet and wavy which will last for a while and give my hair a rest. I have been going natural for about 8 months now and have about 2 inches of relaxed hair left. But my Dr and NUT told me makes sure to take all Vitamins and stay hydrated' date=' I have been taking Biotin for a couple of years and my hair seems to grow pretty quick and the Protein well extra Protein helps greatly.[/quote']

I am also natural, almost 3 years and have braided my hair up with some Brazilian hair. That way if I do have a lot of loss I won't really notice until I redo my style. But if it gets to be too much, I will chop it all off again.

I am also natural' date=' almost 3 years and have braided my hair up with some Brazilian hair. That way if I do have a lot of loss I won't really notice until I redo my style. But if it gets to be too much, I will chop it all off again.[/quote']

I've thought about this too. Of course I'm preop, but I have thought about just doing micros until after surgery then a sew in so I won't have to deal with seeing the hair shed when it starts. How far we're you guys out before you started to lose hair?

The shedding started in the 3rd month' date=' I'm at month 4. BTW, have been taking Biotin from the beginning.[/quote']

Ok. I'm so not ready for this part. I've started growing my hair out and I'm just getting to the stage where I'm liking the length and fullness. I'll pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

I know, it is annoying, but it could be worse. My hair is pretty thick, but if it continues to shed I'll chop it off and start from scratch. (I'll save a considerable amount of money at the salon too.) :)

Thanks for the info! I relax my hair once every 2 years and I color it about once a year. I am fully prepared to lose it I'm just wondering what to expect.