Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No magic for sleevers in Disney

I am currently on vacation in Walt Disney World. I am armed with my surgeon's card that states I had sleeve surgery. I am 7 weeks post op and still have difficulty with solids. Tonight, we went to Chef Mickey (buffet style) to Celebrate a bday. Disney would NOT charge me a kid's price considering I had the sugeon card and explained my situation. I paid $40 for a spoon of hummus and a slice of cheese!

I am currently on vacation in Walt Disney World. I am armed with my surgeon's card that states I had sleeve surgery. I am 7 weeks post op and still have difficulty with solids. Tonight, we went to Chef Mickey (buffet style) to Celebrate a bday. Disney would NOT charge me a kid's price considering I had the sugeon card and explained my situation. I paid $40 for a spoon of hummus and a slice of cheese!

That is horrible!! I can't believe they would not accommodate you.

Are most places nice about it and willing to accommodate you?

:( what a waste of money!! Sorry to hear that.

I went to Disneyland about six weeks after surgery. I just sucked despondently on my Protein Shakes every time my family ate.

I'd be writing angry letters or speaking to management about something like that. Disney is supposed to be so great about accommodating people with special needs, and I'd say having 85% of your stomach removed counts as special!! I hope that the rest of your time was enjoyable and you've been able to find decent foods to eat. Boo on them!

Thank you for the support guys! What the waitress had to say to me was that they charge by AGE and not the quantity of food you can eat. There are 4 kids in our party & today we are set to go to another Disney character buffet experience. A part of me is not looking forward to it but nothing beats a smile on the kids face. I will definitely be writing to the big mouse upon my return home next week.

Just tell them you aren't going to eat. They shouldn't charge you to just sit. Right?

Ate at olivia's in key west resort last night. I ordered the baked fish with green Beans, no questions asked. We did call ahead. Rest of group going to ohana's tonight , I'm skipping it. Too expensive for what I'm eating.

I would take in my own food. For the amount we can eat now it would look like a snack in anyone's purse. And if they say something explain that you just had surgery and are on a special diet! We are on vacation right now too,I'm 4 weeks out and this is exactly why I refuse to go to a buffet with my family.

As a former cast member of disney and local annual pass holder now I say you should go to a guest relations representative an talk to management there. They accommodate all food issues and any other special needs. I really think you need to state your case to them and have someone there give you something stating the fact that you cannot eat, you are there to spend time with your family in a "family" environment. They cannot expect you to miss out and should most definitely not make you pay to sit there. I've encountered a guest on a feeding tube and they didn't have to pay to sit at a character meal with their family.

I totally agree with other posters. Firstly you should speak with the Manager and let them know what happened. Secondly for your next "meal" tell them you are NOT eating, get a drink, and bring a Protein Drink if you have one. That is ridiculous that they made you pay $40.00.

Today, lunch was at Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom with the family ( party of 8). I had an opportunity to speak to the manager after all I got was a small cup of Soup. The manager emphasized to me that Disney policy is to charge based on AGE and you are paying for the character experience and NOT bases on how much you consume. Luckily, the family does not have a buffet scheduled for tomorrow!

I am currently on vacation in Walt Disney World. I am armed with my surgeon's card that states I had sleeve surgery. I am 7 weeks post op and still have difficulty with solids. Tonight' date=' we went to Chef Mickey (buffet style) to Celebrate a bday. Disney would NOT charge me a kid's price considering I had the sugeon card and explained my situation. I paid 40 for a spoon of hummus and a slice of cheese![/quote']

The family I nanny for is going to Disney the week of my surgery. Their 8 yr old son has severe and profound Autism. I called Disney and asked about the red pass so he doesn't have to wait in lines. They told me he would need his behavioral pediatrician to write a letter for him and it would be on a case by case situation. The lady apologized and explained that too many people were taking advantage of the "special Magic treatment" and they are really strict now. At least seeing the excitement on the kids faces makes up for $40 wasted.