Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did anyone else NOT get a hernia repair?

The day they let me go from the hospital my doctor told me that the barium swallow looked fine and that there may be a small hilatial hernia but not to worry about it because it won't affect my weight loss. I was kind of miserable at the hospital and ready to go so I didn't really pursue the matter. He gave the impression that it was small so maybe he couldn't really tell it was there during surgery?

I see a lot of posts where others has their hernia repair at the same time. So I was wondering if anyone else found out after surgery that they had a hernia but that it wasn't fixed. What did your surgeon tell you about it if so? Have you had any problems with it?

No I didn't have any pre-op stomach checks before surgery. Just all the pre-op work with the nut and psychology and blood work.

Sent from my Note 10.1 using VST

The first surgeon I went to told me I had a hernia and they'd repair it when they went in. Her office screwed up my insurance paperwork, so I went self-pay with a different surgeon. My actual surgeon said he didn't see anything in there that would be worth repairing. I have had zero issues with it if there is one. There's no way something like that could heal on its own, is there?

I'm not sure if it could repair itself. The body does amazing things! Just look how we repair after having 85 percent of our stomach removed. My very slight understanding of this type of hernia is that it's maybe caused from eating too much and the food pushing upwards. I could be wrong. In that case after vsg when we eat much less maybe it repairs itself? I'm not sure.

I had a hernia and my doctor did not repair it. He knew it beforehand and said he probably would not repair it. He said that with my weight loss, the hernia will probably shrink in size while I am losing. I have not had any problems at all with the hernia since surgery. Before surgery, I had a LOT of trouble with it. I had problems swallowing everything... but now, everything goes down smoothly. I would have sworn he repaired it, but he said he didn't.

Sounds like you guys had lazy doctors. My doctor and his partner say they ALWAYS LOOK for and FiX any hiatal hernia during the surgery- band or sleeve or bypass. No it does not fix itself. It's true that many people (especially obese people) have it and sometimes it doesn't cause symptoms. If you are one of those people- great. Maybe it will continue to not bother you. In my case I had constant heartburn from it. In order to get it fixed, it takes another lap surgery unless your doctor was nice enough just to fix the problem while he/she was already in there.

I'm not sure if it could repair itself. The body does amazing things! Just look how we repair after having 85 percent of our stomach removed. My very slight understanding of this type of hernia is that it's maybe caused from eating too much and the food pushing upwards. I could be wrong. In that case after vsg when we eat much less maybe it repairs itself? I'm not sure.

You could very well be right about that. I know that before my surgery, I would eat until it actually hurt me...and still keep eating (and I think I had reflux, too). When I started my pre-op diet, I started feeling better, and I've felt good ever since. I didn't really trust the first surgeon since so much seemed to get messed up by her staff. Maybe she was reading someone else's results?? LOL

I never really got that much heartburn unless I ate a lot of carbs. Which did happen a lot. But for the times when I wasn't i had zero reflux. The few times I experienced Gerd while sleeping was also carbs.. Breads especially.

From what I understand, to repair or not to repair with the initial surgery is surgeon preference, it doesn't mean one surgeon is better or more responsible than the other. Lots of people have hernias that do not cause them serious problems. I'm also told that, even if they do repair the hernia at the time of surgery, most likely that repair won't hold through the significant weight loss, and the person would need to have it revised at some later date.

From what I understand, to repair or not to repair with the initial surgery is surgeon preference, it doesn't mean one surgeon is better or more responsible than the other. Lots of people have hernias that do not cause them serious problems. I'm also told that, even if they do repair the hernia at the time of surgery, most likely that repair won't hold through the significant weight loss, and the person would need to have it revised at some later date.

This is exactly what I was told.

Well it's good to hear that my surgeon didn't forget something then. Lol I kind of felt left out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST