Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my surgery Date - December bandster

StephC

It just seemed to end up taking that long to get everything done. They wanted 3 weeks between some of the mtgs with psychologist and nutritionist and then having to work it in with my work schedule. Ended up taking 75 days for insurance to get all their questions answered and say it was okay. Now things seem to be going along pretty quickly. I have appts of one kinds or another almost every week until surgery. I think with the hubbub of the holidays the time will go quickly. December 12th, here I come.

angyl, Happy New Year to you, what a way to get started on that famous new years resolution of weight loss. this year you will be successful, and imagine the changes that you will see by the end of 07'. Congrats and good luck.

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for Dec. 11th I'm soooooo excited! I'm not telling "everyone" but my family is happy for me, my daughters are real excited about me having it done. I've got 3 kids, a son - 21, 2 daughters 16 & 20 and the girls and I love to shop BUT I hardly ever buy anything for myself because I hate being fat, and I keep saying when I lose the weight.... you all know what I'm talking about? Now when we shop my girls say mom, you are going to look so hot when you lose weight, I think they will keep me stylish. LOL anyway, my birthday is in Feb. and I always get the end of winter sales - so I'm hoping by Feb. I'll be needing some new clothes.

I have my surgery on Dec.11 as well and is exited and scared. Please help, I am excited and scared.:rolleyes:

I have no support person... my grandma told me today that she would be there to take care of me after the surgery, but that she didnt want me to have it.

They all think i can lose it all on my own. It makes me feel so weak. Like I should be able to do it without surgery, and I feel guilty for having to get help.

I know I have to, but they are making it so hard. I know Im an adult as well, but I wish someone would show some faith in me.

It was very hard to make this decision, to admit I needed the help.

I will be ok though.

Beversman,

I hope your family comes around. It would be best for them to be supportive. Hang in there. You can do this!!!!

I got my date today and I will be banded December 18th! I am still in shock. I was at school tonight and could not even call and tell my husband. I will tell him tomorrow. He is supportive as is my mom and sister. Aside from them, I have only told a friend who also had this done.

I have not told my kids but am conflicted on telling my 10 year old (the younger one won't know the difference). I am keeping it a secret from most and I am not sure how to tell her...any advice?

I'd just let her know mommy is getting her tummy fixed. Then answer any questions she has about how it works or how you'll feel. That way you don't say too much that would confuse her, or tell her more than she needs to know.

She will feel satisfied because you've answered all of her questions, and she also won't be afraid to ask you later if another question comes up.

But it will probably be best to tell her so she understand why you will be acting and feeling a bit differently. You probably won't hear anything else about it either. Kids usually take all of this in better than adults and are content with the first explanation.

congrats janet! it's going to be interesting watching all of us transform. should we post some before photos? mine is just my face, but I can do a real one.

Beavers...how about within your program? Have you met anyone, like former patient volunteers or patients scheduled for surgery around your date that can be a support network for you? I'm sorry that your family is being resistant. I pretty much explained to my parents and friends that it is my decision and that they don't have to agree with it but they DO have to support me and my decision. Your family should eventually come around. It would be silly if they didn't.

I've met people on here that have my same surgeon. One individual just had her surgery on the 10th. So, I have a pretty good gauge of how things will be, and what a good surgeon I have.

I have people around, but I don't really want anyone else except my family knowing about my surgery. Well, them and all of you :-)

I think it will make me stronger having to go at it alone. I will just have to be that much more determined, and I would really like to show all of them just how great this is going to be.

I found another thread that explained alot. People around us get used to having us "big girls" around to make them all look better (or should i just say "smaller"). Many times even though they love us, or call us friends... they always know when we are around, "at least they aren't the fat one." I don't think they are thinking these things deviously, but they do. So, almost subconciously... i think they want to sabatoge things.

If we can get skinny and happy, then they will be the odd one out.

They get jealous... LORD knows why! It is not as if this is easy in ANY way. We are having surgery!

Well, I look at it this way:

It is ALL my money... and ALL my hard work, and damn it I deserve it.

My friends are being really supportive. My family finally came around. I have not yet found anyone on here that is having surgery with my doctor, but I did pass information about this forum on to the program's social worker, so maybe that will help. I have a problem because the support groups are on Tuesdays and I am in class. Oh well. And now, this is the December Bandsters thread and I'm displaced =( I am going to have to start a January thread!

Ariel, Don't ell him at all!! Just go to the hospital and have it done,and tell your mom to act like she didn't know you were doing it either, that way he won't be mad at her!!! Thats what I would do any how. You deserve your privacy and you are entitled to it legally, even if his health insurance is paying for it, they are not allowed to let him know.

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for Dec. 11th I'm soooooo excited! I'm not telling "everyone" but my family is happy for me, my daughters are real excited about me having it done. I've got 3 kids, a son - 21, 2 daughters 16 & 20 and the girls and I love to shop BUT I hardly ever buy anything for myself because I hate being fat, and I keep saying when I lose the weight.... you all know what I'm talking about? Now when we shop my girls say mom, you are going to look so hot when you lose weight, I think they will keep me stylish. LOL anyway, my birthday is in Feb. and I always get the end of winter sales - so I'm hoping by Feb. I'll be needing some new clothes.

I am also having my lapband surgery on Dec.11, and I am excited myself. I would love to keep chatting with anyone that is having theres on the same date, just keep in touch and have someone else to talk with before and after to make sure everthing went o.k. with the both of us. I will go Dec. 1, to complete paperwork and have it on Dec.11. Good Luck and weigh to go!:clap2: