Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my surgery Date - December bandster

Hey Gang, I too will be part of the December club. I will have it done on the 19th. Things are moving so fast. I just got approved yesterday and have to start fasting next tuesday the 5th! The fasting is not as bad as i thought. Lean meat, veggies, fruits and Protein shakes. Only 600-800 calories a day but at least it will be small amounts of real food and not straight shakes for 2 weeks which is what I thought "fasting" meant...

I don't know what I'm going to tell people. Do all of you tell everyone that asks or do you just tell some and not others? I kind of wanted to wait to make sure everything goes well before I tell co-workers and other non family/close friends what is going on. Some guy I worked with said he stays trim by taking the stairs and being disciplined. I thought if he asked I would tell him that I had started taking the stairs - and its working:)!

Is there somewhere on this site that people have shared their experiences in the hospital. I've heard bits and pieces but I am curious as to each step... is that TMI?

bkwalling -- All I can say is Atkins. No sugar of any kind. NO CARBS of any kind. I can almost garuntee you will lose the weight. Combine that with a pre-op liquid diet and I think you will be fine.

I also have read on this site that many doctors will still do the surgery as long as they see you made a BIG effort to lose what they asked. It is a test to make sure you want to do this. It also is going to shrink your liver to make the surgery safer for you.

It is only a few weeks. You CAN do it.

---------------------------------------

Luckgirl -- Most others on this site agree that all you need to say (if you dont feel like revealing the surgery) is that you are eating less (which is true) and excersing (which I assume will also be true).

And heck... once you get the surgery why not start taking the stairs?:faint: You will get some sexy calves why you're at it! :-)

I think it is totally possible to tell the truth without telling ALL... if that makes sense.

I know what you mean Dawn. I was looking at my year book from high school, and I was not really that over weight. I was fairly normal teenager. I just didnt feel good about myself, and like you said... it just ballooned from there, and now here I am.

Anytime I have the opportunity to work with children... I always try to pass that wisdom on to them. They are normal beautiful and to enjoy life. If I had just broken out of my shy, ackward shell then... things would have been so much different in my life.

Isn't it funny how we look back at ourselves when we were thin, or not that much overweight and would praticully kill to look like that again. I wish I would have enjoyed the way I looked back when I weighed 140 lbs, I think when I get there again, I will appreciate it more! Its good you work with children, they start out so young having a negative body image and start dieting so young.

I don't know what I'm going to tell people. Do all of you tell everyone that asks or do you just tell some and not others? I kind of wanted to wait to make sure everything goes well before I tell co-workers and other non family/close friends what is going on. Some guy I worked with said he stays trim by taking the stairs and being disciplined. I thought if he asked I would tell him that I had started taking the stairs - and its working:)!

Is there somewhere on this site that people have shared their experiences in the hospital. I've heard bits and pieces but I am curious as to each step... is that TMI?

Just tell them you are eating less and exercising more. Thats the truth, we will be eating less. I'm not telling anyone either. I want to keep it to myself so I plan on just telling them that I am eating less.

Just tell them you are eating less and exercising more. Thats the truth, we will be eating less. I'm not telling anyone either. I want to keep it to myself so I plan on just telling them that I am eating less.

And that is the honest truth. ;)

Yeah, I will be happy to see 180 again. Heck 230 is my first goal. I always get stuck at 235 when I've dieted in the past. So, when I get past there for the first time. I am going to be real happy.

Then 199 is my next goal. No more 200's!!

Then 180 or 175... that just sounds so freakin light compared to what I am now...

By the way everyone - They just had a big new report on CBS New with Katie couric about the Lap Band. Wow. People are starting to become a bit more curious about this thing...

BKWalling - do you have to lose another 20 lbs by the 12th or another 4 to make the 20? That really stinks! But don't get discouraged you just stick to the diet and it'll happen. I did ww several times and I loved the meetings, I definitely am one who needs a support group, but I never lost more then 20 lbs - I would get so frustrated! Finally I gave up. But I think doing this pre-op that my dr has me on will make me lose weight. I've only had about 500 cal. so far today and know I will only have another 200 before bed. Did your dr give you a diet to follow or just tell you do it?

BKwalling...hang in there. I agree that Atkins or the Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet would be really helpful to get off weight before the diet (assuming your surgeon does not have a particular diet plan for you). Best wishes.

Beversman-I too always get stuck at 235. I think my last failry successful time was with SOuth Beach about 18 months ago I got down to 239..felt terrific and started to allow myself little indulgences. I got too comfortable and quickly gained the weight back. Bummer. I remember going from 198 to 180 or so the summer before I got pregnant with my first child. Then gaining some weight the month or so before the pregnancy...them BLAM! The weight came screaming on....::;):: I look forward to a day when this is not all I think about.

To be "normal" and not always think about weight, calories, points, carbs whatever...Just to know without really thinking what I am able to eat because my body needs fuel and not because I am looking for some crazy "fix"....Won't that be amazing.

Hey KayDot,

Sounds like you and i are in a similar situation - same age, my band date is the 19th, and i have had to tell my daughter who will be 10 in Jan. My son is only 5 so he doesn't have a clue yet. I told her I was having surgery and that I wouldn't be able to eat that much. She took it really good. I am worried about telling others but other than my close friends and husband and mom i don't think i want people to know. my mom wants me to tell my sister but i don't feel comfortable doing that right now. she's always been the skinny one - and this is my deal - my day... I think that it's not that i'm ashamed - it's just i want to make sure i'm successful before i share this - i've failed many times before at other diets... oh well, wanted to say hi cause when i read your posts they sounded familiar!! ;)

I'm counting down the days to my surgery, 35 to be exact, and just recently started to get scared of surgery. Well, ot the surger exactly, but I am absolutely petrified of anesthesia. I had a nightmare that woke me up at 5:15 this morning. It was so real. I was being put under, I even felt the warmt of the anesthesia in the IV and this weird din came over me. I need to work through this or I am going to drive myself crazy. I can't even go to the support groups before the procedure because I have a conflict with school. Is anyone else experiencing this, or does anyone have any words of advice or optimism? I think it would really help.

Angyl - I can completely understand what you are going through. I have had several surgeries and never a fear until I needed my wrist operated on, I knew what to expect - I'd had 4 surgeries before but suddenly I got this fear of dying from the anethesia - like they would put me under and I wouldn't wake up. My way to get through things is to call on my driver, Jesus, so I went to church and had my pastor anoint me with oil and pray for me and the fear left. I don't know if you are a believer but if you are He can take all your fear. I'll be praying for you.

Unfortunatly I cant help you with being scared but I can tell you I have had MANY sx and I am to the point now I look forward to the anastetic (god, that sounds sick) I was never really afraid of it just a little nervous of the unknown the first time and that was a doozy, 7hrs in sx and 6 days in icu, i guess i figure if i can make it through that this is nothing. I guess what I could say is relax and enjoy the ride its kinda fun. Did you have to have the edg done? If so, generally the iv meds they gave you for that are the same as the sx anastetic(sp) verced I think. For the egd its just not as deep. This is just part of the process and u will be fine. Wait until you start the pre diet, I have been on 9 days and I feel stronger and like I can do anything now that ive managed it. I think the reason the make you do the diet is to prepare you mind and remind you you are capable of anything you put your mind to (fears included). It has really improved my self image and confidence in myself. I know they sx will work because I will make it work. Good luck to you and sorry for the rant (sometimes I get a little windy as dh would say). When u are ready to start the prediet look around for shake ideas there are alot of great ones on this site.

By the way everyone - They just had a big new report on CBS New with Katie couric about the Lap Band. Wow. People are starting to become a bit more curious about this thing...

I've noticed where I live, commercials are starting to run all the time about the Lap-Band, and before, it was never mentioned. Also, the doctor I am seeing is primarily a Gastric Bypass doctor, but he said the lap-band has gotten so popular, he has to have a separate seminar for it - he used to combine them. So I can tell the popularity is catching on - which I think is great!

The band has become the first choice here for people able to loose the weight at a slower rate the gastric bypass (w/o serious comorbitities) infact my dr. does only lap bands. He used to do others but since the popularity and sx risk is so low he now does just the band a revisions. I think its the perfect option for people willing to put in a little work to reach there goals.

Hey KayDot,

Sounds like you and i are in a similar situation - same age, my band date is the 19th, and i have had to tell my daughter who will be 10 in Jan. My son is only 5 so he doesn't have a clue yet. ... oh well, wanted to say hi cause when i read your posts they sounded familiar!! :)

Hi LuckyGirl!

I think we will find that a lot of us are in the same boat! I am glad to be surgery sisters with you! haha. I too have the little nagging fear that what if I am not successful??? I have failed sooo many times it is not really easy to grasp the idea that I may actually conquer this weight issue for good. I am sure hoping this is it thought! I didn't tell my little one either asshe is only 4. My 10 year old is great about it. She was a little freaked at first and her quote was "mom, tell me what the risks are." She and I are really tight and I notice that since telling her she can't walk by me without rubbing my back or giving me a quick hug. I just keep reassuring her that everything will be fine. She has asked is she can talk to her friends about it and I had to ask her not to. that was hard but this town is way too tightknit. I told her she can call my mom or my sister if she needs to talk to someone. I even have a friend that has ben through the surgery that is willing to answer her questions if she needs it. I just am not ready for everyone to know yet.

Hang in there. I am glad to meet you and everyone on this board!!

You guys have to check out this thread. I decided to post on it a few days ago to try to ease the worry of the woman who posted it originally. Take a look at the response. This woman is rude and ruthless. I just can't believe someone would be like this...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26021

I just wanted to give my fellow December bandsters a heads up in case you encounter her on the site. She could really scare the crap out of you with her "doom and gloom" opinions.