Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Peoples reactions to weight loss surgery

I told everyone at work, since they see me all the time and I figured they would notice for sure, lol! I've only had one bad reaction, and everyone just ignored the person who said it, as did I. She overheard me telliing someone about it, and started talking about eating more veggies and fruits. We all basically stared at her and then said "well, anyway..." and then forgot about it. In my head, I just think those kinds of negative people are that way because they have a nasty case of crabs that make them crazy, or something like that. Not the most mature reaction, I know, but that way I just let it roll off my back and go on with my own life! I just go "Dang, crabs must be itchin' you something fierce today!" ;)

I told everyone at work, since they see me all the time and I figured they would notice for sure, lol! I've only had one bad reaction, and everyone just ignored the person who said it, as did I. She overheard me telliing someone about it, and started talking about eating more veggies and fruits. We all basically stared at her and then said "well, anyway..." and then forgot about it. In my head, I just think those kinds of negative people are that way because they have a nasty case of crabs that make them crazy, or something like that. Not the most mature reaction, I know, but that way I just let it roll off my back and go on with my own life! I just go "Dang, crabs must be itchin' you something fierce today!" ;)

I think it is perfect, maturity is waaaay over rated....in my opinion!!

I told my parents and one trusted co-worker. Everyone else I am giving the diet and exercise story. None of their business, IMO and I don't need any comments from the peanut gallery.

Told my kids very supportive husband very supportive work giving e hard time w getting off for appointments and again like others a coworker I'm close to told me I'm gonna die w this surgery

Told my kids very supportive husband very supportive work giving e hard time w getting off for appointments and again like others a coworker I'm close to told me I'm gonna die w this surgery

Just smile and say 'Aren't you a ray of sunshine today, thank you' :)

I told people at work. I work in a call center, several have had it and many are overweight. Nobody has been negative yet, very supportive. I don't know what they may say behind my back but I could really care less. I did this for me and it is my life and nobody else's. Apart from work I only told my, son, daughter and one close friend. The ones I really did not tell we're my ex in laws whom I still see a lot. They would be very jealous and negative.

I have told pretty much everyone, mostly so I can't back out of it!

Have had lots of reactions of "that's so exciting!" or "good for you!" which I guess is another way of saying "it's about time!". So far, no really negative reactions.

My feeling about coworkers is that they are just that--coworkers. Unless you're going to church with them, having them over for dinner, or going on vacation with you, they are not your friends, so if you want to keep it your own business don't tell them anything. People will be supportive until they feel threatened, especially in the work unit.

As far as it being the easy way out, why the hell not? The "hard way" hasn't worked, hasn't gotten you anywhere, so why keep doing it. I don't drive my car with square tires either.

I'm pre-op (since October) hoping for an April surgery. I wasn't planning on telling anyone but close friends and family, but then I figured that people are going to find out. So I've told a few more people, including my boss. I really expected my overweight friends to be more supportive, but I think it's the mentality that "wow - she is as big as I am. I don't think I need surgery!" So then they are talking me out of it out of denial of their own weight issues.

Then there are those who just don't know enough about the surgery. It's frustrating though. One friend wanted me to try a diet pill and said "with the surgery you will have to limit what you eat". I'm thinking, yeah that's the point. I would have to do that with a diet pill and risk the side effects too.

I've just decided to ignore the negative and focus on getting healthy. I know myself and I'm working with a counselor to make this successful. I don't owe anyone an explanation of my healthcare decisions.

Never An easy way out! People in my life have been nothing but supportive.

I just don't think my business is everybody else business. Now your close family is ok but coworkers no. Never

I finally told my Dad last night and he was amazing! Very supportive I was shocked but very happy to have that burden lifted.