Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotion v Eating

Hi folks,

Emotional eating is sabotaging my efforts to work with my band. It's got so bad that I made an urgent call to my Dr to get an unfil because I've inflamed the restricted part of my stomach. And in the two weeks of unfil I've put on 14lbs!!

Whilst the weight gain is getting me down, I'm more worried about the emotional eating. If I can't get a grip, the operation will have been for nothing - and I could do some serious damage to my body.

I've been keeping a journal and I'd say that 95% of my eating is driven by non-hunger. Seriously, it's that bad. books on the subject suggest developing self-nuturing strategies to fill the void instead of using food. Thing is, I can't think of any that are appropriate or offer immediate relief. It's a little difficult to take a relaxing bath when you are at work, or mediate when family are demanding things.

Any ideas or strategies I could use to control or lessen my emotional eating drives?

Also hard to do at work....but in the evening when I want to snack, I brush my teeth, to try to fend of the want to eat. Maybe some SF hard candy, pop in a piece when the desire to eat hits. If I can think of any helps I'll be back!

Good Luck

Kat

Not sure if you can do this at work either, but I'm a huge music fanatic and my counselor suggested I carry an ipod with me and whenever I get stressed, I turn to my ipod instead of food. It's not foolproof and I have to be conscious of it, but it seems to help.

I have the same problem. But I am very concerned to know if the restricted part of your stomach became inflammed from trying to eat too much or from eating the wrong food? Thanks.

I am sure it gets difficult for you. Try to keep the bad food away from you, if possible. Easy access is just that TOO easy. Maybe sugar free stuff or drinks will help keep your mouth busy, during these emotional times. Of course, taking a walk, mediated and bathing are options, but as you said isn't easy to do during work... I do this also, emotional eating, as I am hardly ever hungry. Once I have the food (usually junk) around me, it seems I can't stop...until my band stops me.

Take care. Shawn

I have the same problem. But I am very concerned to know if the restricted part of your stomach became inflammed from trying to eat too much or from eating the wrong food? Thanks.

Both -- I don't know whether I was too restricted but everytime I ate Protein I would burp like mad, and it was getting to the stage were I would PB once a meal. So I switched to carbs - chips, biscuits, even chocolate. They were chewy enough for my mouth the think it was eating something and mushy enough to go through the stoma. Problem was, these types of food were completely 'off program' and I hurt my mental attitude.

Result: they didn't fill me up - so I ate more of them; they were technically 'illegal' - so I was in a guilt trip and ate more of them; they didn't take much chewing - so I got lazy at chewing and swallowed large chunks... you name it, I did it. Fortunately the damage I've done is minor and correctable.

It's been a real wake up call for my eating habits.

Problem 1. realising I'm an emotional eater

Problem 2. learning the difference between full v satiated v no-longer hungry.

Hi white_rabbit,

I've definitely been where you are right now! Once you start that cycle, its hard to regain control, but it can be done.

For me, I have to promise not to keep chips and such in the house, cause as the bag says, I can't eat just one. Those are my major downfall. If they're here, I'll definitely eat them, sometimes a bag at a time.

You said that you were having problems with Protein. What type of Protein were you having? Was it dry or moist? I can't eat any dry protein, such as chicken breast, a burger or whatnot, but if I have it cut in tiny pieces and dip it in a sauce of some sort, it goes down so much easier (for me).

Alot of us are here because we're emotional eaters. Learning to turn to something other than food when you're happy/hurt/sad/lonely/etc is a very hard step to take.

My therapist loaned me a book on tape called, When food Is Love. Whilst it talked alot about stuff I couldn't relate to, such as the author's problems with family and things, it also talked alot about stuff I could definitely relate to in terms of food.

Good luck regaining that control. You can do it. It may not be easy, but we'll be here for you along the way.

Jack,

I've read a lot of your responses and they always make so much sense to me. I like the 'reach' idea. I'm looking forward to the day when my craving for Water is the same my current desires for chocolate and biscuits! :)

Got to admit guys -- my mentor tells me its going to take 2 years to successfully retrain my brain and habits. That's just downright depressing.

But, as the moto goes - never, ever give up. Even if it takes me 5 years, I'll know that I'll have finally conquered this self-inflicted addiction.

I have trouble with emotional eating as well. What's worked well for me is sugarless gum. It seems to really help me I think because I'm still chewing something. I always try to have something on me to keep my mouth busy, like gum or a toothpick or something. This seems to help a lot.:)

I'm just starting my journey, but I once lost weight and kept it off for 5 years and on and off for another 6 by using a few tricks.

1. I kept my mouth busy with sugar free gum and exclusively drink water- no juice or soda.

2. I recited food is fuel not fun everyday

3. I didn't say goodbye to everything I liked to eat, so I knew there was nothing I couldn't have. I just had to wait until a scheduled day in the week to have a "cheat meal." A lot of weeks I didn't have the cheat meal bc I didn't want to mess up my progress.

4. I worked out regularly 3-5 days per week

5. I shopped often and stayed out of gym clothes. Stretchy clothes don't tell you when you are gaining, so only wear them to work out

6. I trained for events (100 mile bike, 5k, wedding, trip)

7. I made friends at the gym so I had people to look forward to seeing.

8. I ate on schedule so I didn't have a chance to feel hungry

9. I kept my trigger foods out of my house and resolved not to drive anywhere to get any food I was craving or send anyone out for it either.

10. I made myself a priority. I went places I enjoyed, I tanned, I wore nice clothes, i took time to feel good. Hen it was my time I enjoyed it, and I made up for it by giving my family their day for something special too.

When I stopped all of thy I gained weight and lost my satisfaction with my life. That was my recipe through trial and error I discovered it. You just have to find what works for you and be ok with messing up a little as you discover what that means for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi I am almost 2 years next month post opp. And I am n this boat I get stressed or bored and I eat and lately I can't stop the junk and carbs. Carbs r so easy and when I have a thin husband and kids who can eat whatever it makes it so hard. We are super busy all the time managing a business that we eat out ALOT! Help I can't do this alone and I feel like I am.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I'm just starting my journey, but I once lost weight and kept it off for 5 years and on and off for another 6 by using a few tricks.

1. I kept my mouth busy with sugar free gum and exclusively drink water- no juice or soda.

2. I recited food is fuel not fun everyday

3. I didn't say goodbye to everything I liked to eat, so I knew there was nothing I couldn't have. I just had to wait until a scheduled day in the week to have a "cheat meal." A lot of weeks I didn't have the cheat meal bc I didn't want to mess up my progress.

4. I worked out regularly 3-5 days per week

5. I shopped often and stayed out of gym clothes. Stretchy clothes don't tell you when you are gaining, so only wear them to work out

6. I trained for events (100 mile bike, 5k, wedding, trip)

7. I made friends at the gym so I had people to look forward to seeing.

8. I ate on schedule so I didn't have a chance to feel hungry

9. I kept my trigger foods out of my house and resolved not to drive anywhere to get any food I was craving or send anyone out for it either.

10. I made myself a priority. I went places I enjoyed, I tanned, I wore nice clothes, i took time to feel good. Hen it was my time I enjoyed it, and I made up for it by giving my family their day for something special too.

When I stopped all of thy I gained weight and lost my satisfaction with my life. That was my recipe through trial and error I discovered it. You just have to find what works for you and be ok with messing up a little as you discover what that means for you.

Wow, what a super list. I just read an article that said you should write down 10 things to do instead of eating... Things you really enjoyed. Your list is fantastic and I can't wait to incorporate a few of my own into it. Forget it, you covered them all!!! I especially love the make friends at the gym to get you there. I know when I played tennis at the YMCA there was no way I would miss a chance to hang out with my girls! So looking forward to getting back to it. Thanks for sharing.

I just don't know how to get my head right.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Counseling! I'm going.

I think counseling is great if you need it. I'm not sure if your doctor offers this but mine offers free psychiatrist and dietician for life and the support groups offered there is amazing. I hope you get the help you need

Chris